Santisima Trinidad by md1400cs – FINISHED - OcCre - 1/90 - cross-section - bashed

Welcome to MSW Hans!  I suggest you post an introduction about yourself in the new member section and mention your idea there.   

Please consider  finding contemporary plans of a ship to build a 3D model as the above is from a kit from OcCre and their kits are sorely lacking when it comes to accuracy.   Michael has done some great work with his kit bashing to improve the model but many things are direct from the kit and pretty much a fantasy by the kit maker rather than resembling anything close to reality.

There are plenty of high resolution contemporary plans available on the Wiki Commons site if you take the time to go through them that may be better suited to your project.  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ship_plans_of_the_Royal_Museums_Greenwich  

Did you study the forum here on MSW on 3D and CAD articles?     https://modelshipworld.com/forum/34-cad-and-3d-modellingdrafting-plans-with-software/   It may give you some ideas and a place to share your project with like minded members.    

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hans!,

Thanks for you very nice comments.

Your interest in 3D systems is very impressive. It will become a much larger part of this hobby IMO. Already big with 

car model builders. I also assume that kit manufacturers may start including fittings and such from 3D printers in the future.

Regards. 

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Michael,  I hope you are correct in that the kit makers start using 3D printed parts for some things.  Cannon barrels are  perfect examples.  I have used a 3D printer for various size cannon barrels lately in black resin and they are fantastic.   My only concern is most kit makers will continue to forgo thorough research in preparing the drawings to be sure the barrels or other items are shaped and sized properly for the era of the ship being kitted. 

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2020 at 6:24 PM, md1400cs said:

Now in the process of locating the ropes in the correct places – the instruction sheet only references only two pin locations per yard for 220 and 221 -- need four location.

And NOW looking even more carefully it appears as if locations numbers 212, and 220 drop into a same single hole. So need to find/invent four extra pin locations  -- Need to figure out how to “fix” this grrrr.

1.jpg.0721e95dd7cede0d17903ef346222e4c.jpg

Hello Michael,

I'm now to the point of sizing belay pin blocks and I want to thank you for the "heads up" regarding lines 220/221.  Do you have any further thoughts on how this is supposed to be done?  The plans seem to (loosely) indicate that the "inner" 220s head down toward the base of the mast while the "outer" 220s are secured on the side pin blocks.  Of course, no attachment point is listed for the "inner" 220s.  Same thing for the 221s.  Did you end up running all 4 of each set to the outer blocks?  Thank you!

Bc_63,

I looked at the rigging – don’t quite remember. That said – at the rear – since my model would not be seen from the back – did some creative rope pin attachments with certain clew, bunt and leach lines placing them at other non-specified (kit) locations.

Then other four left over ropes were attached as in image below bellow (Ithink)  – just made sure that lines did not cross over each other, but just visually disappeared along with the other lines. That also avoided having to attach two lines into single pin holes. Good luck..

IMG_8792.thumb.jpeg.a1386b8e01be86a3e1d9fbfd245e1662.jpeg8.jpeg.a462ec0b4d5d8cdc84f8d43cb7572f97.jpeg.dc10cb55e4940aec278e4ed5ea77c2be.jpeg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thank you, Sir!  Very helpful.  I like the idea of the 2nd set of pinrails and will steal/borrow that (along with so many of your other great ideas!)  Things are just a bit too crowded in the area that the kit specifies for the side pinrails.  And how they expect you to install 8 of their FAT pins in that location is far beyond my imagination....  😉

And if I may, one more question:  Where did you find (or how did you make) these eyelet / ring assemblies?  Very nice touch!!

Screenshot 2023-03-23 095532.jpg

Edited by bc_63

Glad that it was helpful.  I need to go back (ringlets) to remember - will post ASAP.

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

bc_63,

Found the answer looking back through my Vasa log. scroll down for links to tools as well

8.jpg.b40f18171ac79c04b86dffe5e554861a.jpg.e6fc7ebf366710702a838b12ff755d71.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.386c831bf7ba4a2b3ac15bd64c34ea1f.jpg.9422ea0e6fefd37ed3e4e2cdfc9ecfc6.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Beautifully executed model.   

I have posted this elsewhere, but if you or your build log followers had not seen it, does anyone know where I can find contemporary drawings (not kit designs)  that are dimensioned or drawn to scale, of Spanish naval ordnance from the 17th and 18th centuries?

Thanks

Allan

7 hours ago, allanyed said:

Beautifully executed model.   

I have posted this elsewhere, but if you or your build log followers had not seen it, does anyone know where I can find contemporary drawings (not kit designs)  that are dimensioned or drawn to scale, of Spanish naval ordnance from the 17th and 18th centuries?

Thanks

Allan

Allen,

Thanks for the very nice comment. Regarding your search  for Spanish ordinance this link might be of help to you.

http://www.shipmodels.com.ua/catalog/Cannon

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• The title was changed to Santisima Trinidad by md1400cs – FINISHED - OcCre - 1/90 - cross-section - bashed