HMS Hood by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Halinski - 1:200 - CARD

Thank you Fernando :).

More bits and pieces to fit under the deck - two Vents with PE grilles ......

Vents.JPG

..... a bunch of cleats .....

Cleats.JPG

..... four large round things (no idea yet) .....

Columns (2).JPG

Columns (1).JPG

Next step was to fit an edge strip around the deck :

Edging (2).JPG

Edging (1).JPG

Edging (3).JPG

Even though they will be difficult (not impossible) to see there are 16 Gussets under four sections of the deck :

Gussets (3).JPG

Gussets (2).JPG

Now I glued the deck on. The thin Pillars (1.0mm wire) were fitted after it was on. I drilled holes for each one before gluing down the deck to make fitting easier :

Pillars (4).JPG

Pillars (1).JPG

Some views under the deck :

Pillars (2).JPG

Pillars (3).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

looks amazing Danny!    very nice progress  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

3 hours ago, cog said:

Emergency toilets ...

I doubt it Carl, they continue upward on the next deck. I'll find out a bit later ;).

Thanks Popeye :).

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

15 minutes ago, Dan Vadas said:

I doubt it Carl, they continue upward on the next deck. I'll find out a bit later ;).

Thanks Popeye :).

Danny

Wonder if they are external small amminition tubes/lifts  of some description.?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

either way OC........your looking at a powder room  ;):D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Yeah, good one Popeye :D.

The 3rd deck is very complex. I've never seen this many corners on one before :). It also took quite a bit of thinking time, and a lot of dry-fitting :

3rd Deck (8).JPG

3rd Deck (7).JPG

The kit suggested cutting the walls into several pieces to make fitting easier. I managed it in ONE piece ;) :

3rd Deck (6).JPG

3rd Deck (5).JPG

3rd Deck (4).JPG

Plenty of gussets under the deck. These took me 3 hours to cut and fit. As nearly every one was different I left the numbers on the back of the part before cutting and fitting them one at a time :

3rd Deck (3).JPG

3rd Deck (2).JPG

3rd Deck (1).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

unbelievable! the Bismarck crew hasn't even settled in yet, and your Hood already floats. seeing the first row of seats is taken I'll sit on the rum keg over there... :-)

Edited by herask

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

some very nice structure work.......are you using another of the archive pens to touch it up after?  how much of this will you / we actually see?   detail goes very deep into the model  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

6 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

are you using another of the archive pens to touch it up after?  how much of this will you / we actually see?

Popeye, I use the archive pen as soon as a piece is cut out. I've found it's nearly impossible to do any edge colouring with the pens if they have come in contact with glue. Look closely and you'll see all the edges have already been done ;).

You'd have to stand on your head and look VERY closely to see any of this detail :huh:.

6 hours ago, ragove said:

Your eyes must be like magnifying glasses.

I wish. My eyes are just about shot :huh:.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last post - I've had the 'flu and build time has been reduced a fair bit. However I've soldiered on and got the Admiral's Signal Platform almost finished.

Here is my technique for gluing on the arms of a Range Finder. The wire not only strengthens the joints but also ensures the two arms line up with each other :

Range Finder.JPG

Some more ridiculously small parts - the box is 1.5mm square :

Small Parts (2).JPG

Small Parts (1).JPG

I finally worked out the right way to assemble the water-tight doors (no instructions in the kit, but I found a good drawing of them in AOTS Hood). the doors are made from three pieces of PE - the door itself, an inner panel which has the lock wedges etched in, and the outer panel which has the locks and hinges on it :

Watertight Door.JPG

HACP (2).JPG

HACP (1).JPG

These are the 12.7mm 4-barrel machine guns. They look difficult, but I made all four in a day :

4 Barrel Guns (5).JPG

4 Barrel Guns (4).JPG

4 Barrel Guns (3).JPG

4 Barrel Guns (2).JPG

4 Barrel Guns (1).JPG

The Admiral's platform up to date. There are still a few minor things to fit :

Admirals Signal Platform (4).JPG

Admirals Signal Platform (1).JPG

Admirals Signal Platform (3).JPG

Admirals Signal Platform (2).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

7 hours ago, amateur said:

I am a bit struggling to see where the cardboard ends and the PE sets in with the guns.

Thank you Jan :). You can't see any PE in the guns because there is almost none - only the two handwheels are PE, the rest is paper except for the barrels which are CNC lathe-turned and 3 pieces of wire ;).

I almost forgot about the two HACP (High Angle Control Position) towers, which I made last week. These took some building - two days in total (no progress pics, sorry) :

HACP (4).JPG

HACP (3).JPG

The Life-rafts are a pain to make. These are my first two of 16, hopefully I'll get better with them as I make a few more. They are 12mm long, the one on the right is still to be finished :

Rafts (1).JPG

Rafts (2).JPG

An overview of the platform. The only things remaining to be done are 5 ladders (you can see the two railing posts at each entry), which I can't fit until the platform is fixed to the deck :

ASP Finished (2).JPG

ASP Finished (1).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

13 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

the Admiral's Signal Platform

I first thought your wife needed a platform :huh:

I'm glad I can leave the struggling to you. Very  impressed by the amount of detail and the number of tiny parts you have to deal with. Hope you got rid of that flu for a long time.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

amazing work Danny.......the guns....the platform.......so perfectly done!   it's like you've done these for quite a while.......in reality,  only a year and a half {or so}. 

glad to hear you recovered well.......the flu has been bad this past year ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks again guys :).

I realised that if I were to fit the next deck above this platform that it would be virtually impossible to fit the 5 ladders, so I came up with a simple solution - I tack glued a piece of scrap card under the platform that served two purposes. First it gave me a height to work to, replacing as it were the main deck, Also it protects the ladders from damage at the foot of the steps - these would easily be wrecked as I moved upward. I won't be fixing the Admiral's Platform to the main deck for quite a while yet as it's a lot easier to fit all the decks/platforms on the bench rather than on the hull. I will glue the whole unit comprising about 5 levels to the main deck when they are completed.

Fitting Ladders (1).JPG

Fitting Ladders (2).JPG

Fitting Ladders (3).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The next platform didn't take long, about a day.

2nd Bridge Platform (3).JPG

I've worked out how the stairs fit, after a bit of trial and error. The instructions only give you rather vague renderings of the finished articles - some forward planning is needed as regards the next deck. Some stairwells have another level or two above them, others don't. The treatment of the railings is different depending on whether the stairwell continues or not :

2nd Bridge Platform (2).JPG

2nd Bridge Platform (1).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John, and welcome home :).

The Bridge is quite complex. So far it's taken me over a week to get as far as I have below. Here are the pieces that make up the framing :

Bridge (4).JPG

There are also a number of platforms attached to the sides :

Bridge (1).JPG

Bridge (5).JPG

Bridge (7).JPG

Lots of small fittings, some of which I have no idea about their function :

Bridge (2).JPG

Bridge (9).JPG

There are also a few stairs :

Bridge (3).JPG

Bridge (6).JPG

Bridge (8).JPG

Some overall pics of my current progress :

Bridge (12).JPG

Bridge (11).JPG

And finally one to give an idea of scale :

Bridge (10).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Superb as usual.....Cheers Fernando :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

Very nice work - she is looking superb.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

amazing work Danny...to think of all the parts it must have taken to get you where you are....and then the PE railings and stairs to boot!  very well done!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for all the kind comments guys and gal - they are always appreciated :).

Moving upward, another platform with 6 binoculars among other things :

Bridge (17).JPG

Bridge (16).JPG

Bridge (15).JPG

Bridge (14).JPG

Foremast (4).JPG

Next came the Foremast. To roll the legs I used a piece of brass tubing lined with thin card to give the right diameter :

Foremast (2).JPG

A #16 drill was the perfect size for the inner diameter. I glued the seam a little at a time, moving the mast in and out to prevent any excess glue from sticking to the card liner :

Foremast (3).JPG

The three legs glued together :

Foremast (1).JPG

The mast fitted to the bridge, along with railings and ladders :

Bridge Finished (5).JPG

Bridge Finished (4).JPG

Bridge Finished (3).JPG

Bridge Finished (2).JPG

Bridge Finished (1).JPG

The Fore Control Top sits above the bridge. Cutting the flimsy base for it took some care :

Fore Control Top (6).JPG

Fore Control Top (5).JPG

PE Radars came with the aftermarket stuff. Here they are ready for paint :

Fore Radar (4).JPG

Fore Radar (3).JPG

Fore Radar (2).JPG

Fore Radar (1).JPG

Radars fixed to the top :

Fore Radar.JPG

Railings and antennae fitted, and the top permanently fitted to the bridge :

Fore Control Top (7).JPG

IMG_5030.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny