HMS Hood by Dan Vadas - Halinski - 1:200 - CARD - FINISHED

Danny, as I read (and re-read) this log I find myself shaking my head in disbelief.  I first followed your work on the the Vulture and now through this build. You are truly a remarkable craftsman and an inspiration to me and others.  Many Thanks.

best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

amazing progress Danny........you have truly become the master of card!  each section is a very detailed piece of art :)    gonna be so cool to see these sections together on the deck.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you John and Popeye.

On top of the Aft Superstructure is a platform for a range-finder and a couple of searchlights. Lots of Gussets as well :

Aft Superstructure  Searchlight Platform (4).JPG

Aft Superstructure  Searchlight Platform (3).JPG

Aft Superstructure  Searchlight Platform (2).JPG

Aft Superstructure  Searchlight Platform (1).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

too good for words Danny..........wow!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Carl and Popeye :).

At the aft end of the Superstructure is a platform for a 8-Barrel AA Gun. Here's the finished article complete with the gun :

Aft AA Gun Platform (5).JPG

Aft AA Gun Platform (4).JPG

Aft AA Gun Platform (3).JPG

Construction of the gun begins with the base. I glued PE mesh to the card base, top and bottom :

Aft AA Gun Platform (1).JPG

Under the base are a number of gussets :

Aft AA Gun Platform (2).JPG

Next the two side panels. These were not easy to cut without damaging the fragile piece for the gunsights, but I managed it without any drama :

8 Barrel AA Guns (1).JPG

8 Barrel AA Guns (2).JPG

A box structure, with plenty of round and square holes, is the support for the barrels and breeches :

8 Barrel AA Guns (3).JPG

8 Barrel AA Guns (4).JPG

The barrel support and sides glued to the base :

8 Barrel AA Guns (6).JPG

I'm making all three guns simultaneously :

8 Barrel AA Guns (5).JPG

For the breeches the kit supplies some tiny pieces which are almost impossible to make. I actually made two of the 24, which took me over an hour. They turned out OK, but considering how long it took I thought of a better method :

8 Barrel AA Guns (9).JPG

I binned the two I made (forgot to take a pic :( ) and then laminated four pieces of black card together. I cut several strips 1mm wide, then cut 24 pieces 5mm long. These fit quite well into the square holes, not quite perfect but certainly acceptable :

8 Barrel AA Guns (7).JPG

8 Barrel AA Guns (8).JPG

There are two Magazines either side of each gun, along with a PE frame :

8 Barrel AA Guns (10).JPG

The completed guns :

8 Barrel AA Guns (11).JPG

8 Barrel AA Guns (12).JPG

8 Barrel AA Guns (13).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Incredible work dan  those pom poms look Superb.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

WOW.........I think I need better words. 🤔 J.

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Thanks again for the comments guys :).

I haven't posted in a while but I've been very busy. Below are the seven 102mm Guns, which have taken me 8 days to build. There are a total of 57 parts in each base/shield assembly, and a further 15 parts in each barrel/breech.

As usual construction starts with the base :

102mm Guns (1).JPG

102mm Guns (4).JPG

102mm Guns (3).JPG

102mm Guns (2).JPG

Four stools are fitted to each base :

102mm Guns (5).JPG

102mm Guns (6).JPG

Two control panels (?) took a lot of folding and gluing :

102mm Guns (8).JPG

102mm Guns (7).JPG

The shields took a full day to cut, fold and glue :

102mm Guns (9).JPG

Final parts of the base assemblies were a pair of steps :

102mm Guns (11).JPG

Some of the parts for the breeches were among the smallest and most difficult parts to cut and fold that I've ever had to do :

102mm Guns (10).JPG

102mm Guns (12).JPG

102mm Guns (13).JPG

102mm Guns (15).JPG

Ready to fit the barrels to the bases :

102mm Guns (14).JPG

And the finished guns :

102mm Guns (16).JPG

102mm Guns (18).JPG

102mm Guns (19).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Only 8 days to build..... that's how long it would take me to build one! Stunning work as usual.

Cheers.....Fernando👍👍

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

Thanks John and Fernando.

21 minutes ago, Fernando E said:

Only 8 days to build..... that's how long it would take me to build one!

It's actually quite easy to build them all at once, and only takes about 10% to 20% longer than doing one. Once I set up for a certain stage I can really get a roll-on. Doing them one at a time would take about 5 or 6 times as long.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Nice work Danny, some great detail in those guns.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

you've earned your gunnery medal!  they look so awesome Danny  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Moving on to the Main Guns. There are four of these, none are identical. I'm fitting them with elevating barrels (as per kit) and rotating turrets (my own design). The turret rotators are housed in the bases.

They all start out using laser-cut framing :

Main Guns (7).JPG

Main Guns (6).JPG

Main Guns (5).JPG

Main Guns (4).JPG

One of the finished guns. Details still need to be added, including boots around the barrels :

Main Guns (1).JPG

Main Guns (2).JPG

Main Guns (3).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

1 hour ago, cog said:

Must be cold downunder ...

Thanks Carl, not too cold for the middle of winter - about 20 degrees through the day. I have a space heater and reverse-cycle aircon so it's pretty toasty in my workshop :).

There were no patterns in the kit for the "boots", which they suggested are made from linen. I made mine from thin paper. First I made a template, this took over an hour to get a good fit :

Barrel Boots (2).JPG

I traced the template to spare paper and cut them out. Four of them were a mirror image for the port side boots :

Barrel Boots (3).JPG

Next I rolled them into shape :

Barrel Boots (1).JPG

And glued them on :

Barrel Boots (4).JPG

Barrel Boots (6).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

On top of each gun turret is a Range Finder. The framing for these was a bit tricky to make, as they weren't supplied as laser-cut but had to be cut and made from "normal" paper so they were fairly flimsy initially. Once the top was glued on they strengthened significantly :

Rangefinders (5).JPG

Rangefinders (4).JPG

These pieces for the direction sights were very difficult to cut and fold without damage, but I managed to do it :

Rangefinders (3).JPG

Rangefinders (1).JPG

The four range finders completed. Note that the one on the left has the end pieces fitted back-to-front, an error that I later corrected :

Rangefinders (2).JPG

The first one fitted to the turret :

Barrel Boots (8).JPG

Barrel Boots (7).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The main guns are now finished and ready to fit to the deck. One of them carries the rocket launcher that I made earlier :

Main Guns Finished (1).JPG

Main Guns Finished (2).JPG

Main Guns Finished (3).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

very well done!  the blast bags look great:) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The aft mast has some intricate work involved. First thing was to make the three legs. These are rolled from paper, with no extra internal strengthening, either wire or tube :

Aft Mast (3).JPG

Aft Mast (4).JPG

The legs were then fitted together :

Aft Mast (5).JPG

Aft Mast (6).JPG

Three large pulleys were made next. There are 12 parts in each. They are slightly offset in line so as not to interfere with each other :

Aft Mast (7).JPG

Aft Mast (8).JPG

The star-shaped platform took some work. Everything lined up perfectly :) :

Aft Mast (2).JPG

Aft Mast (1).JPG

The upper section of the mast is made from three thicknesses of brass wire, CA glued together :

Aft Mast (9).JPG

Aft Mast (10).JPG

The completed mast, ready to fit to the deck :

Aft Mast (11).JPG

Aft Mast (12).JPG

Aft Mast (13).JPG

Aft Mast (14).JPG

Aft Mast (15).JPG

Aft Mast (16).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

I have the platform in PE from the PE kit I bought for the Vendetta :)    amazing how that looks......very well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Excellent craftsmanship!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks Guys :).

I've fitted all the major sub-assemblies. Here are some progress pics :

Progress July 2018 (7).JPG

Progress July 2018 (6).JPG

Progress July 2018 (5).JPG

Progress July 2018 (4).JPG

Progress July 2018 (3).JPG

Progress July 2018 (2).JPG

Progress July 2018 (1).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny