HMS Hood by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Halinski - 1:200 - CARD

Immaculte work dan  just superb work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

impressive just doesn't quite cover it.........this is going to be one hell of a colossal model by the time your finished :)    I can't wait to see her then.......perhaps then I'll have the ultimate word for you............for now,  I'll just gesture.........:imNotWorthy:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice work Danny, if one didn't know better you would never know this was card.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

3 hours ago, Tigersteve said:

Sharp! How long is she?

Steve

1350mm long.

3 hours ago, druxey said:

Just don't leave the masking tape on too long, Dan!

No problems with this particular tape David. It's been on for about 3 months and still comes off without damage.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

On 07/07/2018 at 9:20 AM, CDW said:

I am slowly (very slowly) working up the courage to take on a paper ship model due to Dan's beautiful work

I suggest you start with a relatively simple free download model to build up your new skill set. Print out two copies of each page of parts - you WILL need extras ;) :).

Thanks for the comment Richard :).

There are 35 of what I assume are 4-door lockers scattered around the ship. Some of these are adjacent to the already fitted sub-assemblies, so it's a good idea to fit these before the deck starts to get cluttered. I'm fitting all the smaller parts from the "inside" outwards as much as possible.

The lockers have a PE face, and on that are the four PE door edgings. A day and a half's work making all of these :

Lockers (9).JPG

Lockers (8).JPG

Lockers (6).JPG

Lockers (7).JPG

Once all the PE was glued on I gave them a light spray of grey, there was a bit of paint removed in the fitting process :

Lockers (5).JPG

Another step that needed doing now was to fit the funnel rigging. I really SHOULD have done this earlier, some of it will be missing as it's impossible to drill holes in a few places with the fore and aft superstructures in place :

Funnel Rigging (1).JPG

Funnel Rigging (2).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

2 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Fantastic work Dan. I just cannot wait to see both titans (Bismarck and Hood) next to each other.

What a beautiful display that will be.

Yves

Thanks Yves. Here's a "preview" from the model show I went to last weekend :

Port Macquarie Show (5).jpg

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Stunning Work,   there is no way you would guess these are not high level plastic or wood projects.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

you had a display there............so cool!  :)   the 'Bizz' is a monster!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

the 'Bizz' is a monster!

Hood is actually 20mm longer than Bismarck. The camera angle makes her look shorter. Biz is a bit wider though :).

17 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

there is no way you would guess these are not high level plastic or wood projects.

OC.

I'd like a dollar for every time I heard that same comment at the show :D.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

So, at 1:200, that means the Hood was 4 meters longer than Bismarck? I didn’t realize the Hood was that big! But, I suppose that’s why she was ‘enemy no 1’ for the Kriegsmarine- large size, but fast and agile because of the slender hull and lighter displacement.

Of course, the lighter displacement was because of less armor, so that ended up being somewhat problematic....

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Many small Vents, scattered around the deck :

Vents (3).JPG

These tiny Bollards are only 0.8mm in diameter :

Small Bollards (1).JPG

Small Bollards (2).JPG

Two of the Platforms for the 4 Barrel Guns :

4 Barrel Gun Platforms (3).JPG

4 Barrel Gun Platforms (2).JPG

4 Barrel Gun Platforms (1).JPG

A Boom swivels on the aft mast. This would have been very difficult to fit and rig further down the line :

Main Crane (1).JPG

Main Crane (2).JPG

Main Crane (3).JPG

Main Crane (4).JPG

Main Crane (5).JPG

Main Crane (6).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Wow!  Nothing else to say.

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Impressive work Danny

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Now that is how you do a davits and wires.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks guys :).

Making and fitting the Bulwarks, and especially their braces, has been rather tedious - a bit like tying Ratlines :D .

First I cut all the braces for the particular bulwark I was working on :

Bulwark Braces (4).JPG

Then I worked out which ones went where. There is only a minute amount of difference in the length of some them, but if you get it wrong it stands out like the proverbial dog's whatsits ;) :D. I marked them from one end to the other on a piece of card and used double-sided tape to hold them down :

Bulwark Braces (3).JPG

Working from one end I glued them into position according to their letters. I did this off the ship, after first doing all the folds in the bulwark :

Bulwark Braces (2).JPG

Bulwark Braces (1).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

wonderful progress Danny........the boom and rigging came out great!   casements and gussets look really good too  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

There are 10 Ship's Boats on Hood, all of varying types.

Below is the construction process for the first ones. This is typical of the way they are all built, so I'll only show it once unless there are any major differences in some of the others.

1st step is to cut out all the required pieces. Next I shape the hull skins using a rounded stick and a piece of high-density foam :

Ship's Boats 2 (1).JPG

Then the bow edges are glued together :

Ship's Boats 2 (2).JPG

Next the transom :

Ship's Boats 2 (3).JPG

These boats have a reverse curve foward of the rudder, so that section gets glued and clamped with self-holding tweezers :

Ship's Boats 2 (4).JPG

The rest of the keel can now be glued :

Ship's Boats 2 (5).JPG

The thinner interior lining is glued in place after first shaping in similar fashion to the outer skin :

Ship's Boats 2 (6).JPG

Ship's Boats 2 (7).JPG

Next comes the keel. Once this is glued in place the hull can be finally reshaped using the rounded stick from inside. :

Ship's Boats 2 (8).JPG

Fitting out the interior is the last step, and doesn't require a detailed description :

Ship's Boats 2 (9).JPG

A Gunwhale finishes off the edges nicely :

Ship's Boats 2 (10).JPG

Here is one of the next two boats, with the gunwhales still to be fitted. These are a little larger than the first, but of a similar style. They are motorized :

Ship's Boats 1 (2).JPG

Ship's Boats 1 (3).JPG

And the first of these four fitted to the deck :

Ship's Boats 1 (4).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

I was wrong about the amount of small boats - there aren't just 10, there are 15. There are six Motor Launches of two types. Here are the first three in construction phases, as they are totally different to the open boats. Work starts with the hulls :

Launches 1 (8).JPG

Launches 1 (6).JPG

Launches 1 (9).JPG

The interior and deck are in three pieces. First the floor is glued to the sides :

Launches 1 (5).JPG

Then the deck is glued to the interior and hull :

Launches 1 (4).JPG

There are two benches inside the cabin :

Launches 1 (3).JPG

All the other pieces are fitted, including two roofs :

Launches 1 (2).JPG

The other three launches are a bit different, and also a bit easier to make. Here are the build pics :

Launches 2 (5).JPG

Launches 2 (4).JPG

Launches 2 (3).JPG

Launches 2 (2).JPG

The props, skegs, prop shafts and rudders :

Launches 2 (1).JPG

I still have two more open boats left to make, which will happen tomorrow.

Danny

Cheers, Danny