HMS Hood by Dan Vadas - Halinski - 1:200 - CARD - FINISHED

I can imagine your initial disappointment, only six, so you must have been thrilled to bits when you found out there were more ... a lot more! Nicely done though. I would expect the different ways of building would make it somewhat more interesting ... less production line like ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Danny,

It is an absolute pleasure to travel thru your build. Your skill set (as some other modelers) to work at such a small scale is truly amazing. The final results are stunning. My hats off to one of the masters. This Fosters is for you.:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Thank you Carl and John.

The last two ship's boats are of different construction again. The hulls are made from thin (0.12mm) paper, with the inner and outer skins glued together before shaping and gluing the two halves along the keel :

Ship's Boats 3 (7).JPG

The interiors and keels were then fitted. These two boats hang from davits. I made them from 0.6mm and 0.3mm brass wire and then painted them :

Ship's Boats 3 (5).JPG

For ease and accuracy of fitting the davits to the boats I made a jig :

Ship's Boats 3 (6).JPG

Two straps are used to secure the boats :

Ship's Boats 3 (4).JPG

Ship's Boats 3 (3).JPG

The boats and davits finished :

Ship's Boats 3 (2).JPG

Ship's Boats 3 (1).JPG

Continued in next post ..........

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

......... continued.

All the boats, with the exception of the one already fitted to the deck :

All Boats.JPG

The boats fitted to the deck :

Boats Fitted (5).JPG

Boats Fitted (4).JPG

I'm going to re-fit this launch. For some reason I missed the marks when gluing it down :

Boats Fitted (3).JPG

Boats Fitted (2).JPG

Boats Fitted (1).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Great work on the boats Danny, they look great.  Could you fix the tiller by cutting off the squared extension and replace with some brass wire/rod of suitable scale?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Danny

As usual , stunning work!

Cheers...........Fernando  :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

5 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Great work on the boats Danny, they look great.  Could you fix the tiller by cutting off the squared extension and replace with some brass wire/rod of suitable scale?

cheers

Pat

No, not really. The tiller is actually square for most of it's section. It's only 1mm thick, so rounding it is not an option. It looks a LOT better in "real life" :). Besides, the boats are already fitted to the deck, and removing the rudders would be a major task.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Danny,

Am interested in trying one, small scale is intimidating for me, all I can do is attempt if I screw it up we will watch a Viking Funeral.

My question is you appear addicted to these paper models did the bug bite you on the first one your into to it big time, after seeing yours and what Doris has done there fantastic. Never thought of paper medium could render such a fantastic builds (stupidity lurks in the dark recesses of the mind).

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

John,

The 1/200 scale of Danny's Hood model is common, but there also many kits available in 1/100, especially from the J F Schreiber company. In addition, any card kit can be scaled up or down using a scanning printer/copier. This is actually a fairly common practice in the card modeling world.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

8 hours ago, John Allen said:

My question is you appear addicted to these paper models did the bug bite you on the first one

It sure did :). It looks like I'll be sticking with paper for a while yet. Plus the fact that I don't need as much workshop space for working in card, which is a bit of a consideration in my current circumstances.

A bit further to Chris's comments above. Ships aren't the only things you can model in card. You think of it and there's some kind of card kit available - planes, tanks, rail, buildings, cars, motorbikes, furniture, the list is nearly endless.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

2 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

A bit further to Chris's comments above. Ships aren't the only things you can model in card. You think of it and there's some kind of card kit available - planes, tanks, rail, buildings, cars, motorbikes, furniture, the list is nearly endless.

Danny

And some of the "other" card models I've seen have been phenomenal. Aircraft and armor models in particular. 

superb job on the ship's boats Danny........a major step all in their own  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you guys :).

There are a LOT of small details on the main deck. Whenever I come across a "new" part that has more than just the one piece I'm making them all at once and storing the remainder for future fitting (on the other side of the hull probably). Everything except the rigging is now fitted above the main deck. Here is a selection of details :

Deck Details (1).JPG

Deck Details (2).JPG

Deck Details (6).JPG

Deck Details (7).JPG

Deck Details (8).JPGDeck Details (9).JPG

Deck Details (10).JPG

Deck Details (11).JPG

Deck Details (12).JPG

Deck Details (13).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

A couple of pics of the finished upper decks. Railings hadn't been fitted when I took the pics, but they are on now :

Deck Details (3).JPG

Deck Details (4).JPG

Deck Details (5).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

3 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

Thank you guys :).

There are a LOT of small details on the main deck. Whenever I come across a "new" part that has more than just the one piece I'm making them all at once and storing the remainder for future fitting (on the other side of the hull probably). Everything except the rigging is now fitted above the main deck. Here is a selection of details :

Danny

Superb work,  I love the detail of the (possible killer area for her - T tubes)  when she met her doom.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

seriously nice work Danny.......the deck is pretty busy :)     high level of craftsmanship there.....WOW! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks John, OC and Popeye :).

The return hawse for the anchor chain is one of the trickiest parts to cut and roll on the whole model, mostly due to it's small size :

Chain Hawse (4).JPG

Chain Hawse (2).JPG

Chain Hawse (3).JPG

Chain Hawse (1).JPG

The Anchors took me a full day to make, and I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out. Here are the parts for just one of them :

Anchors (4).JPG

The shanks and flukes under construction :

Anchors (3).JPG

Anchors (2).JPG

The finished anchors :

Anchors (1).JPG

The rest of the small details on the starboard side foredeck. I've since added the port side as well, which completes all the parts for the decks and superstructure with only the deck railings to go :

Foredeck Details (1).JPG

Foredeck Details (2).JPG

Foredeck Details (3).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

The Rigging only took a day to do, and it's turned out the best of any Card model I've done to date :) :

Rigging (5).JPG

Rigging (1).JPG

Rigging (2).JPG

Rigging (3).JPG

Rigging (4).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Stunning work as usual,   she is going to be such a museum quality exhibit when finished.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

19 hours ago, cog said:

Your rigging looks good. What did you use for thread?

It's an elastic thread from Ez-Line. I tie it with a simple overhand knot at each end, put enough tension on the line for the particular application - tighter for those lines that have another attached to them so they don't get pulled out of shape - and finish off with a tiny drop of CA glue.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Thank you Grant :).

The Screws (propellors) are of similar construction to those in my Amatsukaze kit, also by Halinski - lots of petals, which means lots of careful cutting. I shaped the central piece using a rounded stick on high-density foam :

Props (1).JPG

Four hours later :

Props (2).JPG

And finally the completed units. I used a thin wash of acrylic to soften the dark colour of the seams :

Props (3).JPG

I've started the main deck railings, and also made and fitted the port side entry ladders. The railings were designed for a plastic (Tamiya) kit and don't fit perfectly in regard to positions of the ladders, bollards etc, so some fudging is needed :

IMG_5274.JPG

IMG_5276.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

catching up on the fantastic work you've been doing.........I'm in awe!   the rigging looks great and the deck fittings are as well.   I've always known the anchor hawse,  as a chain gate.   are the boarding ladders on even when the ship is underway ?   I've got 'em for a couple of my builds,  and I'm not sure if I should add them or not.   I also thought they were removable.

first rate job Danny!   really nice work  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: