HMS Victory Bow Section by Tidbinbilla - Panart

I started this kit about 3 months ago.  At best it's been a struggle.  The most difficult part has been trying to interpret the instructions.   I get the impression they were converted to English from Italian via some unsophisticated computer program.  If it were not for the build log by others, especially Jeff, on this forum, I would have probably given up and tossed the kit in the bin!

I basically followed Jeff's approach on building my kit.  My skill level is not quite up to his level, so I cut out some of the more minute details.

This rigging instructions are horrible.  I reverted to the picture on the box and other reference books to get a better idea of how to properly rig the ship. 

This is my first attempt to plank a hull.  It did not go well at first.  My first effort was so bad that I tore it all out and put the hull away for about four weeks.  The next time it went better as I soaked the wood overnight and got better at using the electric shaping iron.  I discovered that my fairing was only fair but could make minor adjustment with some additional sanding and shims.  This first layer of planking was a far cry from where it should have been - lots of gaps between planks and unwanted twisting, etc.  But nothing that could not be corrected with some wood filler and lots of sanding!!  I got it to a point where I'm confident the second layer will go on easier and fit correctly.

I'll add some pictures later...

Thanks

Tidbinbilla

Hi.

Wishing you well with the second layer.

Waiting for the photos.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished what has turned out to be one of the most labor intensive and least rewarding tasks.  Applying the second layer of planking went a lot smoother than the first.  I got better at using the heating iron and tapering the planks.  But the part that I find most irritating is that when all is said and done most of the work will go unnoticed!  Half the hull will be covered with copper plates and the other half painted and/or covered by rigging!!  I may leave some of the planks below the waterline exposed...

I will be happy to close this chapter and move on to more fun stuff.

5abb0fb8bdc7a_portfinal.jpg.f032e1942475a1d13c2b4405506cf509.jpg5abb0fbc745a1_starboardfinal.jpg.a0e152f698eaaeef4af9b224a938fa92.jpg5abb0fb51567a_bowfinal.jpg.cda2e182cd5ef1b0456117b291412cc5.jpg

I am very much looking forward to watching this build of yours. I have acquired one of these unopened at a garage sale for $25.00 and thought that was a good price. Seems a bit to advanced for me at this point but I will keep if in the closet for the future. So far your build is coming along nicely.

Keep at it.  Its an interesting model and displays great when done.   Even those not intetested in model ships are facinated looking in.    Jeffs log wad a great resourse to me as well.   You cam check out my log as well.  

K

Current Build:  USS Constitution ( Model Expo)
Past Builds:

HMS Victory Bow Section
   British Armed Launch
   Friesland (Dutch 74 - 1663)
   Roger B. Taney (US Revenue Cutter )

I've added the moldings to the hull and started working on the head/beak.  I must have had a senior moment when doing so because when looking at the hull a few days later I realized I misread the "blue prints".  I'm going to live with it...

Next will be to install the copper plates...

Having more fun now!

Thanks for the words of encouragement...

100_0036.JPG.2765afbef857d2f8d10ab6000bcba59f.JPG100_0037.JPG.bf3d6856f74dcd2539fdbc152d4df75b.JPG

Well, the model is finally starting to look like a ship!!  The first base color coat was laid down.  After completed hull, some touch-up and a semi-clear coat should dress it up nicely.  At that point, I may stop for the Winter.  Spring is just about  here and I've got to shift my efforts to paint and upholster a Model T I've been working on all Winter.  Have to get it ready for touring season starting in late May...

100_0042.JPG.e7fa0142c66d34fd71181e9716c69cbd.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Spring has finally sprung in Wisconsin, so I'm putting my model away until the snow flies next Winter.  So far this has been a rewarding and exasperating experience.  The kit is fun to assemble.  The materials are of good/high quality.  I can't say the same for the instructions.  I don't know how may false steps I've made due to not understanding what they are trying to say or display on the plans.  If it wasn't for the other blogs on this site, I would have tossed the whole thing in the bin.

100_0046.thumb.JPG.71c03829855b3f9f770791e224313b83.JPG100_0045.thumb.JPG.69a9026a722587422e3becad28685219.JPG100_0049.thumb.JPG.05e03ac41735c5004fd71f772532bf79.JPG100_0050.thumb.JPG.c317fed21c83080388807b5211c608be.JPG

• 8 months later...

Well, I finally finished this model!  I'm happy with it.  I took some liberties with the choice of color and rigging due to artistic tastes.I really learned a lot.  This plus the other two cross-sections that I've completed have been practice for my next ship - the Model Shipways USS Constitution.  This was the first ship I built back in the 70's and it will now be my final. 

Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

done1.JPG

done2.JPG

done3.JPG

• 5 months later...

Well done on both!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me