While working on my modified MS 1:96 scale version of the “Phantom” I found that I needed to make three very small turnbuckles. (They were referred to as stretching screws on the plan.)  I had bought some brass telescoping thin wall tubing previously for making yard bands and thought up a way to use them to make a fairly realistic fitting.  I took some 1.3 mm brass tubing that was just big enough to allow an eye bolt that came with the kit to slip into it.  Then I used the 1.8 mm brass tubing (the next size up) that the 1.3 mm tube could be slipped inside of that for the main body of the turnbuckle.

100_4319.thumb.JPG.d915f29e7eb037b088199d806c524406.JPG

I marked the length of the 1.8 mm tube and the length of the opening with a felt pen. 

100_4317.thumb.JPG.6ce4d4e45de9934c2ed0e6d9261ec7ac.JPG

Taking the 1.8 mm tube to my vise, I cut out the open areas on both sides with a fine narrow file.

100_4312.thumb.JPG.f40dd93aac2d286e661e1d74d2ccca82.JPG

I cut  the 1.8 mm tube to length for the main body and cut a pair of short lengths of the 1.3  mm tube for the inside ends of the turnbuckle. Taking the five pieces to my soldering block, I applied flux to the shortened eye bolt stems and the outside of the 1.3 mm tube. 

100_4316.thumb.JPG.7d20b3925f34483727462d447a3f8c1d.JPG

The pieces were then assembled together and stretched out on the block with a couple of toothpicks stuck through the eye bolt holes to hold it steady.

100_4348.thumb.JPG.1e5655e5cd5c9d9022ae1be72118a2c2.JPG

I cut some small flakes of solder and placed them at the ends of the turnbuckle body and applied my soldering iron to the 1.8 mm tube.  After it cooled off I just cleaned up the ends with a fine file and blackened it.  While the fitting still seemed a little large to me, I was quite satisfied with it.  By varying the size of the components the size of the turnbuckles can readily be adjusted for various other scales.

100_4349.thumb.JPG.f213394331e30d4dcb2809d38649ee19.JPG

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Dave,

Ingenuity comes from genius or is it from genius comes ingenuity. Excellent problem solver that is copied and goes into my log of tips.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Another tip for the tip log thanks Dziad

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co.