HM Brig Supply by Jobbie - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

The instructions say to place the first plank at deck level. I’ve dropped them down slightly so they’re level with the underside of the false deck. This allows two full width planks to meet neatly with the top of the bulwark bulkheads. I haven’t trimmed the width of this first plank at all.

I prefer using these planking clamps where I can. I bought them from Modeller’s Shipyard in South Nowra (New South Wales, Australia) 20 years ago. The business has since been sold, moved to Glenbrook (NSW) and renamed Modeller’s Central. They’re still available. 

The instructions for Planking Screw-Clamps read “These reusable screw-clamps are invaluable in the construction of plank-on-frame models.

In use they simply screw into the edge of the plywood frames and the oval ‘foot’ holds the plank firmly against the frame, without marking, until the glue dries. The need for pins, etc, is eliminated. A loose spacer plank on the lower side or a scrap of planking material glued to the lower part of the foot ensures firm contact of the upper part of the foot with the plank being glued. As planking progresses, the planks cover the holes made by the planking screws. 

The number of screws required depends on the particular model but since planks are fitted in pairs (one each side) the ideal is two for each frame in the model plus a further two for the stem.”

I’m pre-drilling the bulkheads with a #62 mini-drill before screwing in the clamps. 

I’ve also made a little balsa filler at the stern to assist gluing the plank in place. The lower edge of the plank sits flush with the horizontal former (part 19).

D66AC45C-5FB4-4944-A33B-4E883B4342AC.jpeg

A04FB91C-D5FF-4547-9728-0A62DE2EA5F2.jpeg

Completed:

Billing’s Boats Cutty Sark

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Panart Royal Yacht Caroline 

Current build

Caldercraft HM Brig Supply

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

Working upwards, a second untapered plank is placed hard by the first. I’ve used PVA throughout, suplimented by CA on the bow filler. I haven’t applied glue to the main deck bulwark formers, as they will be removed later. Instead, a bead of PVA is applied along the edge of the plank, bonding the two planks to each other. Bulldog clips apply the necessary force to hold the bulwark shape while it dries overnight. 

78DFC31A-8782-4A44-A515-B8F9CF5FA075.jpeg

B720D94D-14EA-4BF3-9CF5-90DF5166B141.jpeg

0ACA4FC0-E66B-42EA-B8D8-AF2E2BDCDCF8.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

You’re all very welcome here. 

Third plank fitted. They align with the height of the bulwark bulkheads rather nicely.

6C423A69-39C5-4873-B693-2020F6C5CD35.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

I’m jumping around a bit, but I’ve been thinking I really should strengthen the mounting nuts. So I grabbed some spare ply, measured the depth of the two nuts and removed the outer ply layer where the nuts would be so they can sit flush. I fitted the 5/32 screws to avoid alignment issues and clamped the doublers in place. 

Ok. I’m stalling.

0A26EEE7-83B5-406E-A664-CAEDBB0B7C8D.jpeg

EED54A68-B1CC-4A2D-BDCE-5A932852E654.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

I’ve been agonising about planking the hull, so I realise I had to break the deadlock. The only way I could do that is by charging forward. 

On my previous ship builds, I used an Artesania Latina plank bender on dry wood. For this one, I’ve been soaking the planks, bending them by hand and fitting them wet. As a result, they’ve shrunk, leaving gaps between strips when drying. This will not do.

I’ve measured the distance between the keel and first plank at the widest bulkhead (89mm) and at the first bulkhead (55mm), Working myself into an imaginary frenzy about plank width and distances to the garboard plank....to hell with it.....Crack on!

I simply measured half the plank width at the bow and from there, sliced to the fourth bulkhead, where it becomes full width. I pinned the plank in place while damp. I’ll let it dry over night and have a go gluing it in place tomorrow.

There’s quite a bend at the transom, but it all seems to be fine at the moment. 

C5D04A7E-9B8D-4535-84EC-FFC49693ECCF.jpeg

FC5F8532-1B8E-43E8-8520-79ACB109C6FB.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

Ah the flashbacks to my planking procrastination. It is slower, but definitely worth the effort to clamp the wet planks in place until they are dry and then glue them the next day. Your boat is looking good, will keep on eye on her as you continue on.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

HMS Endeavour Longboat

Thanks, Andrew. Two planks bent and dry-fitted to the bow. I’ll repeat this tomorrow with two more, so I’ll have four identical bends. Then I’ll glue one set on top of the other to reach the top of the bulwarks, keeping the bulkheads free of glue above deck level. 

Two more fitted to the rear, too. 

F7862510-6ECC-4ABD-B507-67F8751216D5.jpeg

3EED756F-437D-4CAF-BCEA-D1BC4D8C73F4.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

Once the bulwarks are slightly past the height of the bulkhead caps, I’m sanding them back down to neatly meet the caps.

BEA7295C-342C-43C3-A546-E3C3D9C4C728.jpeg

513D2C0F-C2F2-4716-BCF3-96D4FBFCE070.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

The quarterdeck hull planks are sanded level with the 8th bulkhead so the aft deck facia (part 57) sits flush. When I fix the facia in place, I’ll sand it’s outer edges to be flush with the width of the 1st layer planking. Eventually, the 2nd layer planking will terminate neatly with the forward wall of the facia.

D54F43FF-EF16-464C-83B5-7D702687DA9F.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

The forward facia is the reverse. I’m sanding the foredeck 1st planking flush with the facia so it sits over its width. 

7A467DA8-B9DF-496B-8289-0988076DE392.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

I’m doing everything in this order because I want to place a plank across the ship at the forecastle break and quarterdeck break, and I can’t because the bulwark caps are still in the way.

I’ll cut away the caps, line the inside of the bulwarks and paint them ochre red before I finish planking the decks. That way, I’ll avoid getting paint on the deck planking.

44BCD6F6-13BA-4EE9-A295-22C2F0A01730.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

Bugger. Well, I guess that was always going to happen. No biggie.

203F91D9-FED6-4934-A483-1725F86BBFA9.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

Not much to report. I’m wetting the planks, gradually bending the bow contour, measuring where the new plank starts to naturally overlap the previous one and slice from that point, forward to half width. 

Not as neat as I’d like, but no real problems so far. She’ll look better after a sanding, but I’m really enjoying myself.

Any tips would be most welcome. 

5636710E-B947-43F4-BD14-6C2F68CF89F5.jpeg

0211EE06-57B3-4B6C-85AA-0DBD2D6A00F7.jpeg

81685794-464E-4222-9374-484DAA2E7539.jpeg

36A02F2D-2975-4F84-ACAF-917D4FC3B3AF.jpeg

66AE4E6B-7C25-4886-8708-45004A8291D9.jpeg

64B15CC0-AFB6-4A89-9302-718B1ACDBD85.jpeg

6E085817-7E09-43E7-9641-DCBE8DC56DB1.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

Really moving along Jobbie Starting to look more and more like a ship. Nice work.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 3 weeks later...

I’m having trouble trying to persuade the planks at the stern to bend two directions at once. So I’m going to start tapering the previous plank to half width at the last bulkhead, then return to full width by the stern post.

1ED38C45-CAB9-43E7-AC70-87382DC0ACD5.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

Gidday from across the island. You certainly are making a cracking job. Looking real good. The parts look great quality.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Why, thank you! Here’s the starboard side from a different angle. I really should have tried this method earlier.

913855F7-F7E5-4A46-9A17-BFD74815F79E.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

I'm a little late to the party, but I will grab a seat and follow along! 

Your planking is coming along very well!  Looks great!  How do you like using those plank clamps? It looks like, through your pictures, that they work well.

Your deck planking looks great too!  Dan gave me the same advice about using the pen, and after varnishing, the pen lines lool great!

Keep up the great work!

Jeff

Oh, thanks, Jeff! I really like these planking clamps. I’ve used them on a few builds before. They’re not everyone’s cup of tea, but I like not having to press pins through the plank, if I can avoid it.

I feel like I’m stumbling blindly through this build, but I’m also really enjoying it. I’ve been procrastinating about this stern planking and moving very slowly lately. Trying to achieve the quality of other builds on this forum is impossible, but inspiring.

I may have found my way forward, but this phase will still take time.

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

Thinking that I may end up needing a couple more balsa fillers near the bow, I’ve quickly glued and shaped them while I still have access.

60CB43CF-D35F-443D-A336-BF752562F2EF.jpeg

6D9669B5-A147-4199-88B7-186BEC67A56B.jpeg

1494AD0D-8C79-4D85-B651-25D99C7647A6.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

So far, three planks per side have been trimmed to half-width at the last bulkhead. I’m past the most acute area for warping of these planks. PVA glue has been used throughout, except for a dot of CA adjacent to the stern post. I know it’s not great, but I’m still chuffed by how she’s coming along. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

• 1 month later...

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but other things have taken priority. I should be able to get back to it shortly. Life is good, though.

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

I’ve found (as you’ve guessed) a problem where the planks at the bow now need to bend two directions at once. I see no choice but to start planking from the keel, upwards, and terminate those ones with their natural contour lay. I’ll get on to that within a couple of weeks. 

D239F5C6-6378-49B8-92AD-8ADDB98A44CC.jpeg

DF050B83-47D4-4696-A720-C3D1230E813B.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

• 4 weeks later...

Well. I’ve tried to the best of my ability to plank this hull in manner and style I see every day on this forum- planks reduced no more than half width, no pointy ends, etc. Unfortunately, my skills won’t allow that. I’m now working up from the keel. I’ve placed the garboard plank and let it follow its own curve to the bow. 

I was was also planning on ending the first planking in a rebate in the stem, and than only having the second planking continuing to the stern post. I’ve decided not to. The garboard plank follows the keel to the rear. Each other plank on the stem will follow their natural lay, with stealers placed in between. 

I’m still loving this, though. 

D63ACC1E-95D8-4F36-BFDB-C1CED5DCCDAF.jpeg

C3FD3C34-944B-4824-A5EA-6A50EF6DFADE.jpeg

E0941400-0167-4758-BA3E-2EB785EC35C0.jpeg

Completed:

Artesania Latina Swift

Aeropicolla HMS Prince

Current build

Next:

Corel HMS Victory

6 hours ago, Jobbie said:

Each other plank on the stem will follow their natural lay, with stealers placed in between. 

You will definitely need a few stealers because of the bluff bow. You might have gone a bit far with the upper planks already, but it will give you a good indication of where to start adding the stealers with the 2nd planking. Pretty good job so far :).

BTW - I always start my planking from the keel (garboard plank) and work toward the wales.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi