Frigate Berlin by Ferit KUTLU - Corel - 1/40 - 1674

Hi Mike,

As I wrote at your log, sorry it will be another copy with some extras :) ; Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde is one of the Brandenburg Navy like Berlin and Wappen von Hamburg (my hope).

You are right about the ressemblance but the lines and the contour of Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde are more complicated and much more beautiful than Berlin's. Euromodel as I see through the web is a premium quality kit  :)  but If I remember correctly she has no sails :(. Both your choice of the kit and of the model are apropos and appealing and perfect for me... I had observed her overmuch, long ago...

It should be a pleasure to follow your log...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi again Ferit,

Sorry, I should have been more clear - I was referring to the fact that the Euromodel kit has almost an identical demon-looking face around one of the sheeves in the side of the hull.  But yes, the lines on the Berlin and the Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde seem very similar :)

The Euromodel kit is really incredible.  The quality of the wood and other pieces are really top notch - especially the cast metal pieces, which are very very well done unlike other kits that I've seen.  The plans are fantastic, but there aren't many instructions.  It's definitely a kit for people with more experience, so I will start it after I finish my Badger and get another kit or two under my belt.

By the way, I am happy to hear that you will be adding sails to your Berlin.  I agree with you that these are sailing ships, so to not include sails on the model seems incomplete.  I've been very happy with the look of the furled sails on my Badger (will post photos on my log soon).

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi... :cheers:

You are doing a really great job at the Berlin... I hope my model with reach this level too... Still working on my Half Moon as first build - but that Berlin is just another kind of class :D

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

• 1 month later...

Greetings Ferit,

I built this model a few years ago, and it is one of my favorites. In my opinion, Corel is one of the better European models on the market, which explains their higher cost. You are doing a fine job. I like the way you formed the whip staff. I am sure you know that the whip staff was used to steer ships prior to the wheeled helm. Many opportunities to scratch build sub assemblies on this model. I did some carving on the prow since it is quite large.

wq3296 

@ Buck

Hi Buck,

Thank you for asking about me, Thank God I am fine.

It's pleasure to be remembered my friend... :)

I have changed my residence and begun to live in a rented flat. For now, Berlin is staying in my oldie house. :(

@ wq3296

Thank you wq3296 for your kind words. The ship vocabulary is another and wide world. I have a little knowledge about it. But day by day I am learning. Now it's another word: whipstaff... Thank you again. :)

For Corel, I love the quality of the wood but have some doubts about scales.

I would be happy if you could show your Berlin at MSW. She will be a source of inspiration.

@ Keith

Wish I'll be here... :)

Thank you Keith for asking how I am. Thank God I am fine. I had thought that it had to be a momentary lapse of building but unfortunately it dragged on...

@ Augie, Sjors, Popeye,

(and updated) Mark, Jason, Michael, Doreltomin

Thank you for your kind contribution and agreement with Buck and Kieth...

Edited by AlphaUrsaeMinoris

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Glad to hear you are ok. Best of luck with the new living arrangement.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I can only surmise.........I wish you well.  I hope to see your hands on that lovely build of yours again  :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice to hear you're ok, Ferit.  New accommodations can be a good thing.   I hope there's room for Berlin at some point.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A change of address and a change of name here on MSW! I've been missing your updates - hope there's more soon - such beautiful work should be shown! Bye for now

hamilton

PS - just edited this to change "you're" to "your"! This is embarrassing....I've read too many student papers that make this exact error!! 

Edited by hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thank you my friends, for taking interest in, I am really touched.

Even I don't make any update and comment so often I always keep following your beautiful handiworks... :)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

• 2 months later...

Hi Mathewp,

thank you, I'am really fine. I hope that my hope for Wappen Von Hamburg should not be realized for Frigate Berlin.

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

• 2 years later...

Hi my friends,

After a long period of silence I want to restart. I hope to be able to continue.

With a small accident while moving to my new address...

post-2145-0-03148800-1484393164_thumb.jpg

post-2145-0-59829500-1484393238_thumb.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hi Ferit,

Good to see you back again. Look forward to picking up where you left off.

If the damage is only to the top mast and spar you should up and going again in no time.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Greetings. Such a pretty boat deserves to continue !!!

Ondras.

Done : President - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=90230
Under construction : Roter Lowe - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114576

Member of the organizing clubhttps://wchs-c-2023.klom-admiral.cz/en

Ferit,

Welcome back to your ship yard!

--oops, but as Slog mentioned should be an easy and quick fix.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hello Ferit!! It's so nice to see you strike this journal up again! Your Berlin has always been one of my favourite builds here on MSW. I'm sorry to see a bit of damage on the kit - I'm sure you will remake it to perfection. You may notice from my signature that I now have the Berlin kit on the waiting list....I've spent a few evenings looking through the kit contents and translating the Italian notes on the plans into English (strangely, my Italian has not improved as a result!)

Anyway, I'm happy to see you back here and look forward to more updates on this beautiful build

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

It's great to see you back, Ferit.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you for the encouragement and best wishes...

Slog, Ondras, Hamilton, Michael and Mark

and others with their Likes...

This morning, my first attempt to fix the damage was finished with more damage... :(:)  (being more rusty)

Plus, after 2,5 year, I realized some equipment is needed... (another lap)

@ Hamilton

It will be really fine to see your Berlin under construction... Being at the middle of the way for a single ship during many years, I admire the masters of multi-builds...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

@ Anja

Thank you for your warm welcome Anja...

@ Sjors

Always clever, witty, sincere and friendly you are... :)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

glad to see you've returned Ferit!    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

down........but not out  ;)      you have two options.........replace the section of mast,  or repair.  it looks like the break area is quite large......to cement it back together,  would be a strong enough bond.   keep the star shinning my friend  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm sure you'll get up again Ferit! There's a thread somewhere on MSW about debonding glue - I'm not sure what you used to fix the mast, but you might try to find that thread....I'd do it for you, but my son needs reading and putting to bed....

hamilton