Boyer by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - 17th Century Dutch Coastal water freighter by Marc Meijer

14 hours ago, Piet said:

Version 2.0 is looking good Marcus.  Filling it with balsa makes a bit lighter too.

Cheers,

Yes it does and adding wood filler as well. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Couldn't work on the mill as it rained all day. What I need to do is outside work. So worked on the bow 

I used the bread and butter method to get a rough form. 

Also worked on some deck items such as the storage cabin. The walls are clinker built as the picture in the book shows it that way. All that is left is the door and the roof. 

Created the main hatch and what is left is the hinges and the rings. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, storage cabin 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, bow temp and cut out .jpg

Boyer 86ft, storage cabin 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, large hatch 1.jpg

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Put the roof on the storage cabin, added the door and a handle. All that is left is a small roof over the door and the book shows that the door is red, so it will be painted cadmium dark red. 

Finished final sanding of the hull and next time I will fit the front of the bow (bread and butter piece). Add wood filler were needed. 

Also figure out the stern which ends in a point. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, storage cabin 3.jpg

Boyer 86ft, storage cabin 4.jpg

Boyer 86ft, storage cabin 5.jpg

Boyer 86ft, Hull final shaping .jpg

Welcome aboard Brian. I will take a look at a yawl rig and see how they compare. 

Marcus 

Finished painting the storage cabin. The bottom part is not clinkered because it goes below the deck. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, storage cabin 6.jpg

Nice looking shed Marcus and with the traditional "Zaans groen" as well.  The red door is a nice touch.

In my rare free time I found a picture of a model of a Boyer.  Yeah, I'm a member of the Rijksmuseam, love browsing there,

I don't know if you have a picture of one these lovely ships but here it is.

5b31ab196487e_ModelofaBoyerRijkswerfAmsterdamc.1817woodbrassleadmicaandropeh66cml64cmw16_5cm.thumb.jpg.16b62de7c9cacc228e3044d36e25e18e.jpg

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

This is an image of a 19th century boeier, which were rather different animals from the subject of this build-log. These boeiers were used for commercial passenger traffic around the (Noord-)Holland and also as (private) pleasure boats. For those, who read Dutch, there is a comprehensive book on the subject with a lot of lines drawings etc.:

VERMEER, J. (2004): De Boeier.- 528 p., Alkmaar (De Alk & Heijnen Watersport).

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Piet and Wefalck, thank you both. I will look into this book you mentioned. Sounds interesting. 

Marcus 

Been working on the hull, final sanding. The transom is curved and ends in a point. The top wale, there are 3 on each side, is part of the point. There is a small triangular picture of something. I have to make something up as the few pictures I have of the boat make no sense to me. 

The bow has a very extreme curve which is going to be fun when bending the planks. I did have some practice with 2 yachts. 

I cut out a copy of the deck and fitted on the ship. Looks very interesting, very different as well. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, deck rough fit 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, deck, rough fit .jpg

7 hours ago, amateur said:

I dont understand what is going on at the stern.

can you give a shot of the drawing?

Jan

Jan, 

Hope the following helps. 

Marcus 5b33c81839efa_Boyer86ftstem7.thumb.jpg.e9fd73da5cfe0c58a5dd651f07ac62ab.jpg

Boyer 86ft, stem 6.jpg

Boyer 86ft, stem 5.jpg

Boyer 86ft, stem 4.jpg

Boyer 86ft, stem 3.jpg

Boyer 86ft, stem 2.jpg

Jan, 

In the third picture you see the rounded triangle on the left. That piece is open as the tiller goes through. But on another picture I have it is somewhat closed and has a small motive painted on it. So this part I have to decide what to do. 

The rounded Stern is a piece of balsa I am shaping to fit. 

It will be unique. 

Marcus 

• 2 weeks later...

As an early birthday present I received a book by Ab Hoving called 'Nicholaes Witsen and Shipbuilding in the Dutch Golden Age' (review will follow). Very detailed, technical and interesting. Also an appendix of definitions of parts of the ship and in between parentheses the Dutch definition. 

Ex. Orlop deck is called a koebrug, which literally means 'cow bridge'😁. Then in the back of the book, Witsen describes what every sailor on the Pinas gets to eat and qualities as well. For me that is an eye opener. 

Anyway, in the introduction it has a sentence with the ship called Boyer, and right behind in parentheses it says 'Boeier'. Does this mean that they are the same? I looked up both ships and they are different. But Hoving knows what he is talking about. 

I also know that the Boyer changed over the years in the amount of sails but the shape of the hull stayed pretty much the same. 

Does anyone have a suggestion? 

Marcus 

Witsens book is an important source and Hoving certainly knows what he is writing about.

Boyer and Boeier are not the same, but related by descendence. The Boyer of the 17th century was a bigger ship with a different purpose, but seems to have slowly evolved into the smaller 19th century Boeier. The 19th century Boeier from about the late 1820s or so on became a kind of 'private' or 'company' car in the waterlogged area around and north of Amsterdam - being used for both, business and pleasure trips. It was a means of passenger transport between places, but was also used as a short-distance packet, in thoses waters that could be sailed (along the canals the 'trek-schuyt', horse-drawn boats, were the means of public transport). In the early 20th century, when tramways and then road-vehicles took on this transport role, Boeiers became exclusively pleasure boats.

wefalck

I can always depend on you for an answer, Wefalck, thank you. 

Related is the keyword.

There are similarities comparing the bow of both of them. 

Marcus 

And don’t be too distracted by the difference between the words: 17th century dutch wasn’t as standardized as modern Dutch.

you can find boyer, boeyer, boeier, boijer, boeijer, and anything in beteeen.

ship types changing happens also in other instances, the most famous example is jacht: duyken is labelled as jacht. Not quite the ship we expect nowadays speaking about jachts :)

However, sometimes the spelling can be important: in German, Danish and Swedish the term 'Jacht' denotes a small single-masted cargo-ship, similar to the British 'smack', while 'Yacht' denotes a pleasure boat. Some land-lubbers may actually confuse the terms, as the 'Jacht' as commercial ship has disappeared.

wefalck

# Jan and Wefalck, thank you both for the information and others for the likes. 

Finished the final sanding of the Boyer. Measured the height of the deck and the railing. 

Next, I have to remove some wood that is part of the frames, the top of it otherwise the deck is too high 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, sanding complete 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, sanding complete 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, sanding complete 3.jpg

After much sanding, fitting, sanding and more fitting, dry fitting the keel, stem and stem post was satisfactory. Glued all pieces in place. 

Once dry some more sanding and starting on the first layer of planking with basswood. I have a feeling this part is going to be an exercise in patience with many broken strips as both bow and stern have some extreme curves. It will be fun 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, keel, stem, stem post 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, stem .jpg

Working a little bit here and there on the Boyer and the mill. When it is sunny outside, I work in the garden (food and flowers). Late fall, winter and early spring is when I work on the boat, but when the weather is good, I am outside. 

I am creating a template that fits on top of the bow.. When I start planking the top of the bow the planks will go inwards (if that is the correct explanation). The planks go inward and I need to follow the curve of the bow. 

Marcus 

Started the first layer of planking. I soak the basswood in water overnight so I can bend it at any curve. So far it is easy but it will become challenging. 

As Cog would say, it is a 'forest of clamps'. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, planking 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking 3.jpg

Instead of bending extreme curves in the bow and stern with the first planking, I ended up stacking the planks side by side going up following the curve of the bulkheads. Then cutting and sanding away excess planks to form the extreme curve of the bow and stern. 

I will apply the extremely curves for both stern and bow with the second layer of planking 

The back of the stern is curved upwards and inwards. Once the clamps are removed it will give a better understanding of the whole area. 

The bow planks are curved and with every layer going up the curve is shortened by one thickness of a plank giving it a 'step look'. 

Both areas are built 'shell first' and frame timbers ars added to hold the planks in place. This is a classic example of how the Dutch build there ships in the 17th century. I am practicing on this boat as in the future I want to built a ship in this way....... Shell first. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, planking curved bow 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking curved bow 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking curved stern 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking curved stetn1.jpg

Reached both the height of the railing on both the bow and stern side. 

Furthermore, laminated the bow with another layer of strip wood. Gives the look that the planks are overlapping clinker style. 

The Transom Triangle. Cut the curve into the planking on both sides. In one of the pictures I photographed the part of the book, the side curve highlighted in orange and a stern picture also in orange. 

Instead of making this in on piece it will be four pieces. Easier and less risk of breaking. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, transom triangle .jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking curved stern 3.jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking curved stern 4.jpg

Boyer 86ft, transom, rudder 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking transom 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking curved bow 4.jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking curved bow 3.jpg

Cut out the transom triangle, soaked it in water and gently bend it along the curve. Doesn't work, it snapped. I am going to make a laminated curve and bend the point outwards. Just like the book shows. 

I thought of cutting out of a block of wood and sand it to shape. I'll practice with a piece of balsa. But will also make laminated piece. 

When I build the Utrecht, I needed a curved piece as well and I made it by laminating pieces of strip wood. Came out pretty good. 

Marcus 

Created and finished the curved pointy transom. 

Used 1/32" thick Baltic Burch veneer and used that as backing. Shaped and sanded according to plans, glued in place. 

Added planking and made two curved pieces. 

Filled the pointy ends so they would fit and glued with CA.. 

It is not exactly in the middle, off by 2 mm. For the most part it looks pretty good. 

Some more sanding to follow the curve from the rest of the boat and plank the rest. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, planking transom 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking transom 1a.jpg

Marcus, looking really great!  I have the Seawatch book and want to build these really interesting ships once I’m done with the kits I’m working on (also have the Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelmn zu Pferde on the shelf).   Glad to see someone building from the book - very inspirational good work!  Hope you don’t mind me following.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Sorry forgot to ask a question - is the Witsens book a good one?  It’s a bit pricey, just wondering whether you think it’s worth it for people that have the Seawatch book?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)