Boyer 86ft by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - 17th Century Dutch Coastal water freighter by Marc Meijer

Blokzijl is a ni ce, but very small town, and the wieden are a beautifulll area (lots of water and reed). The ship you get when you rent a punter in Blokzijl is this one:IMG_0485.thumb.JPG.7d8a7c5d7c2ee7e1eaaa27c01b2ed680.JPG

a relatively small inland sailing ship.

in Giethoorn they use the same type, but without mast (as these need to fit under the bridges that connect the houses to the main street. Also with much lower boards, as they don't sail in open water, but are propelled using a long stick,pushed aginst the bottom of the canal.

IMG_0488.JPG.0887151b4b81a02b79f7cd0376a0b9a8.JPG 

as you see, lots of tourists overthere, mostly japanese and american. Not nice, too crowded, too commercial......

jan

So I wonder if National Geographic made a mistake which is rare as they check their facts all the time. 

The boat in my picture sure looks very different compared to yours. 😂

The picture of that ship you put in your previous post is more like it. Long ship, living quarters, large cargo area and large sails.

I am tempted to write National Geographic travel magazine and point to there mistake. 

Just think, someone reads this article, goes on vacation to Blokzijl with a large family and wants to rent a punter. The rental place shows him the little boat instead of the boat from the article........ 

The Boyer. 

Been working on the walnut wales and the cherry planks in between the wales.

Also created the 2 curved pieces (don't know what they are called) that go on the stern. The wales are attached to it on the sides. 

536915596_Boyer86ft2ndwale.thumb.jpg.2c3f1c595b0f53d329b6e6f1fb1f7939.jpg

398180298_Boyer86ftcurvedpartofthewale.thumb.jpg.31433c39f1d4e9124859cfd8d2ec2546.jpg

551241737_Boyer86ftcurvedpartofthewaleback.thumb.jpg.3753799251a3e5d3a1c9cb1a4f370b70.jpg

Where 2 planks meet I use a method I've seen on a lot of other Dutch ships. I did this with the Utrecht as well. It looks good and I assume in real life it locks into place. . 

145876054_Boyer86ftwhere2planksmeet.thumb.jpg.9f4459dc640bef993518d3a4f30670a7.jpg

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, flying_dutchman2 said:

#G. L.

Thanks for mentioning this. I would be interested in the month and year of the article.

The picture I have from the article has a large punter with 2 sails. The main sale is huge. 

Marcus 

Hello Marcus,

I went to the library this morning and searched for the article. It was published in the 'Modelbouwer' 5 of 2017. Like Jan is mentioning, a punter (in this case a Giethoornse punter) is a small open vessel without a deck or a supper structure. It can be sailed. I add a picture of the model which is described in the article.

2018-09-08_134939.JPG.e0097c96720422e8cf0ec450fe258a50.JPG

If you wish I can scan the article and mail it to you as a PDF file (I don't know if Dutch is a problem for you).

G.L.

Hi G. L., 

Thanks for taking the time to go to the library and take a picture of the punter. I like the model with the farmer and his cows. That is so Dutch. Dutch is my first language so that is no problem. 

I am interested in the article and would appreciate if if you scanned it and emailed it to me. I'll pm you with my email. 

Marcus 

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

When I bend a plank to shape I use a row of clamps. It becomes a 'clamp forest'. 

1996866996_Boyer86ft3rdwalesetinclampforest.thumb.jpg.2a30fa80e786e4df04be61f0f2455fe6.jpg

The three wales on both sides are installed with the planking in between. According to the picture in the book the blank between the lower wale and the middle wale is painted green and between the middle and the top wale is painted red 

2130386318_Boyer86ftthreewales.thumb.jpg.3f1e591fb1485cd0ed039acc244e6f7e.jpg

I goofed in the stern. My curved strip is too long. So the little area there, is extra. Will either add another walnut plank making a small 4th wale or a cherry plank and paint it red. 

1569642589_Boyer86ftcurvedstern.thumb.jpg.60ce59bad274320ea9cea755b30087f5.jpg

All and all I am pretty happy with the results. There are some small gaps between the planking. Not sure what to do. In the past I used to jam slivers of the same wood in it as filler is never the same color. 

Suggestions are welcome. 

Also created the rudder and tiller and the leeboards. 

1118630502_Boyer86ftruddertillerandleeboards.thumb.jpg.ca47bc7590f33ef1fabf9ef556c5604c.jpg

Marcus 

Edited by flying_dutchman2
Spelling.

HTH, 

I have used that method as well but never for filling tiny gaps between planking. 

On the Utrecht I used it to fill the gap between the deck and the frames. Made a thick paste and applied it. Also on my windmill built I used it to fill large gaps. 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Marcus 

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing some house projects such as resurfacing the driveway, resealing the concrete patio and just finished degreasing half of the garage. Tomorrow I will reseal it with a concrete sealer. After that I will do the other half. 

Did do 2 cherry planks every day last week so the boat is coming along. 

Cutting your own planks is an education. I thought I had it down but after I measured the thickness of every plank I noticed 1/2 are off by a mm. So once the hull is planked there will be a lot of sanding. Better too thick than too thin. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, cherry planking 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, cherry planking 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, cherry planking 3.jpg

Boyer 86ft, cherry planking 4.jpg

Boyer 86ft, cherry planking 5.jpg

I have completed the planking up to the wales. Now comes the difficult area. I plan to use two pieces of 0.5mm thick planks glued on top of each other, which makes the thickness of all the other planks I used. 

I will do this as there is some extreme bending. 

My planking of the Boyer is different to the model in the book. The model in the book follows the curve of the wales all the way to the keel. It does straighten out a bit. That stern of the model has straight planking as well.

So, it follows the curve of the whale and towards the stern it bends 90 degrees and ends up straight when it hits the rudder post. (hope this made sense). 

I followed the planking as a combination of the Utrecht and from a book of the Valkenisse, by Rob Napier. 

The Dutch planked there ships differently compared to the rest of the seafaring world and I am doing this in my models as well. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, difficult cherry planking 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, difficult cherry planking 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, difficult cherry planking 3.jpg

Completed the second layer of planking and filled in the cracks with a mixture of cherry sawdust and white glue. Once dry, the hull will be sanded. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, time to sand 3.jpg

Boyer 86ft, time to sand 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, time to sand 1.jpg

16 hours ago, Mark Pearse said:

Well done Marcus, they are remarkable craft. 

Mark

Mark, 

Yes they are and a challenge to build especially when there is very little information about them. Couple of pictures in the 17th century merchant ship book and a painting. 

Marcus 

14 hours ago, cog said:

You missed a spot on the starboard side ... looks quite smooth from this side of the internet. The stern must have been hard to shape ...

Carl, 

Sanding is not yet completed, but thanks for letting me know. 

The stern was difficult to shape. The bluff bow, I have experience with (yachts, tjalk, boeier and botter). 

Marcus 

Sanding the hull is pretty much completed except for a small area on the bow. 

1391516191_Boyer86ftsanded1.thumb.jpg.42785526d6f3299c41b022439a604601.jpg

Started the inboard planking with 2-ply cherry.  It will follow the curve of the wales. Some of it will dissappear below the deck as that has a much relaxer curve. Barely anything on the Boyer is straight. 

1845292623_Boyer86ftinboardplankingcherry2-ply.thumb.jpg.ed4e39181181fcdbc240d64e1a2f672f.jpg

The Custum cabinet maker in the town over is retiring so I was given many planks of maple, cherry and walnut. Four sheets of veneer 8' by 1' - 2-ply of 2 cherry and 2 maple. It is 0.8mm thick. So nice planking. Also picked up a combo sander. 10" disk and 3' long flat sander which can be tilted. Could have used that for the mill couple of months ago instead of the small one I have. 

Marcus 

Inboard planking is completed. Added 2mm by 2mm stock, 3 pieces side by side which equals 6mm in width as the top of the railing. Once dry, sand and paint it dark brown or black and glue them in place. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, laminated railing 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, laminated railing 2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I completed the deck and created it a very 'unconventional' way. I made a false deck from 2-ply maple and sanded it into shape. 

Took maple stock and used my table saw to cut long planks of 1mm thick by 360mm long by 5mm wide. The planks for the deck are 120mm (4-3/4") long strips. 

Took the false deck out of the hull, laid it on the table and planked it taking into account where the frames were. 

Still need to sand the deck and with it being 1mm thick I can sand away. The sides are to be sanded to slightly past the false deck so when it is placed in the boat it will bulge a bit giving it a slight curve 

1947851316_Boyer86ftdeckmapleunconventional.thumb.jpg.4ea6ac4d54c95e4e070ebb1b8ef07405.jpg

I can do the above method as the deck is in 2 parts. The larger part can slide in. 

I also cut the top railing to size. 

1568886841_Boyer86ftlaminatedrailinguncut.thumb.jpg.cdc5df095c3df2d980cc784bb1d37699.jpg

Marcus 

11 minutes ago, amateur said:

Did you see the models build by Ab Hoving in the gallery?

He did a number of these ships in cardboard using plastic adhesive (like Doris)

Jan

No I did not, I'll take a look. I know he did a Fluit which was in the NRG magazine a while back. 

Marcus 

Dry fit deck. 

1130275343_Boyer86ftdryfitdeck.thumb.jpg.1b9e68001d6769bb21a87f441aaf15db.jpg

Dry fit deck with cabin 

1162964649_Boyer86ftdryfitwithcabin.thumb.jpg.c21eb01877d60ed20c9edc25adf27338.jpg

Marcus 

Caulking the deck was done with marking the edges of the planks with a number H pencil. Installed all the planks and did a bit of sanding. Drilled the holes for the imitation dowels. The used a soft lead pencil in each hole, twirled it around a bit, vacuumed the lead dust off and pressed wood filler in the holes. Let it dry and sanded the deck. 

524700596_Boyer86ftdeckwithnails.thumb.jpg.7a86457facb3f08df416d4f95fc0b739.jpg

First coat of paint in the plank that is above the first wale (Cadmium dark red) and Chromium oxide green above the second wale.

Started on inserting black steenless steel pins in the holes that are in the wales and where 2 planks are fitted together. The above methods are from the book and I like it. 

593079654_Boyer86ftwalesnailscolors.thumb.jpg.3e4109ecc30bfbf80a271b1c5448dc11.jpg

Marcus 

Created the hawse holes and painted them Mars black. 

1393688966_Boyer86fthawseholes.thumb.jpg.acf4fe67781f09384fd07a197ce8a7a5.jpg

Second coat of paint is done and a few more pins in the wales and then that is done as well. I like the looks of it 

798784723_Boyer86ftnailsandpainted.thumb.jpg.1d049816805c5b58806a5ddc0c6fd41c.jpg

Marcus 

Coming along very nicely Marcus.  I like the colors you are using.  Can I ask what brand of paints?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

41 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Coming along very nicely Marcus.  I like the colors you are using.  Can I ask what brand of paints?

Thank you. 

Most of the paints are from Hobby Lobby. There signature brand is called Master's Touch acrylics. 

Master's Touch - Chrome oxide green

Liquitex Basics - Cadmium red deep hue

Golden - Mars black (had some left over). 

The scratch built yacht Utrecht is  painted with both Master's Touch and Liquitex basics paints. These are thick enough to get thick layers, can be diluted with a bit of water and affordable. 

Master's Touch 4 oz. = $3.99 and 8 oz $6.99

Liquitex Basics are a dollar more for the 4 oz and the 8 oz. Both available at Hobby Lobby. 

Marcus 

Not sure if it is any use to you at all and even less sure of how to, and even if I am allowed to mention or post and upload. I was lucky enough recently to pick up a number of old nautical research journals from flea bay which I am steadily reading through. There is an article in vol 14 nos 3-4 (1967)  about the building of a 1/4" scale Boeier by Harry V Dunn Jr. More than happy to copy and send PM or upload if the site allows.

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

1 hour ago, noel_colledge said:

More than happy to copy and send PM or upload if the site allows.

Noel, I pm'd you about this 

Marcus 

Glued the main deck into place and installed the top railing after first painting it Mars black. 

749709265_Boyer86ftrailingblack.thumb.jpg.5932aa8b8ae766f20fd5920651cdf94b.jpg

1009469152_Boyer86ftrailinginstalled.thumb.jpg.92b5339c3eed8d99840bb20ef479120a.jpg

Deck items are few, but I may fill it up with cargo and add some figures. 

The most difficult part is to install the mizzen mast. It is just glued on a flat piece of wood. Right below is the tiller and right below of that is the deck 

Strange design. It will be a challenge. 

Marcus 

Started bending to shape the gudgeons and the pinntels. Used CA and glued the gudgeons in place.

854487831_Boyer86ftdrillholesinthegudgeons.thumb.jpg.a35ea0dad8f9c36bab53ca75c3593e6a.jpg

Put a 0.66 drill bit in the dremel drill press and proceeded to drill holes into the brass gudgeons.

968810790_Boyer86ftbrasspinsingudgeons.thumb.jpg.34f8968b4aa9eb17118dc3313ee15dba.jpg

After that, I took brass nails, cut them in half and nailed them through the gudgeons into the stem. 

Marcus 

Who came up with the word 'gudgeons'??? 

12 hours ago, flying_dutchman2 said:

Who came up with the word 'gudgeons'??? 

You in this build log ...

I found this in the digital librairy:

gudgeon.png.64034d9174d8542e57dfa458984ffd0f.png

Turned out real good the gudgeons, did you put a brass nail in the oposite side too, or will you make a rivet from the nail?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

11 hours ago, cog said:

You in this build log ...

I found this in the digital librairy:

gudgeon.png.64034d9174d8542e57dfa458984ffd0f.png

Turned out real good the gudgeons, did you put a brass nail in the oposite side too, or will you make a rivet from the nail?

Thank you and the info on the digital library. 

Yes, both sides have nails. The holes on one side are different in location as the opposite side. If you use a ruler you can see that they are off by a mm. 

Marcus