HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Sorry for your staining issues, Remco. All my Fiebings-dyed wales are as black as the day I applied them. But, I have never placed any other finish over them. Perhaps there was some sort of interaction between the dye and the oil. Based on your log I have no doubt you'll get it sorted out.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I think one of the issues is I didn't use pure black Fieblings, but mixed it with Mahogany (same brand) to get a very dark brown instead of black as I liked that better. I would expect that if the tung finish (I use it not pure but thinned down with turpentine) dissolved the stain the issue would have presented it right away. But it was ok for over 6 months before it started to fade. So it must be the UV causing the issue.

Anyway I will make a few scrap pieces with and without finish with both my mixed colour and pure black to see what happens over time and use them to test if I can repair it or not.

Next to that I will try an acrylic ink

The results will follow in due time.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

• 4 weeks later...

Between a side project to add more store capacity to my workshop (lots of extra drawers, can't have enough of them it seems) I installed the waterway.

Using card templates to determine the shapes and home build scraper to get the typical profile of the plank (see last pic). The hook and scarf joints were extra tricky as the position of the waterway it self was fixed due to their shapes relative to the hull. So I had to get them right the first time. They all were ok, although sometimes I had to fill a minor gap with  a small sliver of wood. The small piece at the bow connecting the port an starboard  waterway was challenging. 

post-20-0-83446000-1455389933_thumb.jpgpost-20-0-92961500-1455389942_thumb.jpgpost-20-0-40273600-1455389937_thumb.jpgpost-20-0-08255700-1455389939_thumb.jpg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

What can I say Remco, your turning out yet more beautiful work.

Waterways and scarfs are superb mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Sweet work, Remco.   The waterways look great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lovely work Remco and what a beautiful scarf joint.  How many hours of tedious labor did that take? ;)  I venture to say that the Admiralty would be rather pleased.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

A scraper sounds like just the ticket to make that profile, Remco. Any problems using it on those curved bow sections?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks all!

I lost count Piet ;)

Greg the scraper worked fine at the curved sections. I just had to go slow and take very thin shavings. The vertical edges1 of my scraper are smooth so they hardly take any wood off, the horizontal side is sharp and does all the cutting. The scraper was made from a blade of a Stanley knife. The steel was treated to soften it for shaping and then hardened again to keep the edge sharp. It's clamped in a small hand vice to make the scraping easier.

post-20-0-34311300-1455445022_thumb.jpg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Nope, stupid questions don't exist, stupid answers do exist...

Jan, first the blade is annealed, I use a small blow torch to heat the metal till it's bright red and then let it cool slowly back to room temperature. Now the blade is soft enough to use files and saws to make the shape of the waterway.

Then the blade is heated till its red/orange and immediately dropped in a jar with oil, this is quenching.  I used peanut oil as this was the only one I had in at hand. Then The blade is heat treated in a regular oven at 400F/205C

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco I have used those blades for shaping many times but have never gone to the trouble of heat treating them.  I would get the design with a cut off wheel and sanding disks using a moto tool. To me that is the easy way.

David B

Remco.... Back to the discoloration issue. Have you considered scraping the entire wale thickness down and then adding a very thin laminate over the top? Giving you a new surface entirely.

Great job, as usual, on the waterway.

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

• 10 months later...

Hi Remco,

I hope all is well and that you had a great Christmas and New Years!

I spent the day reading slowly through this entire build. As many have pointed out over the course of build there really are not appropriate superlatives to describe the quality of your work! This is truly a masterwork and I want to thank you for everything I've learned from it.

But now, like the abrupt end of a great novel, I'm dying to know what comes next. If it's not inappropriate of me, may I ask where things stand now?

You have my best wishes for a fabulous New Year.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Hi John,

Thank you for your very kind words Best wishes for 2017 to you and everybody else on MSW.

I have some good news for you as I will start updating my build log very soon. I'll tell a secret, I really hate doing hull planking especially on the inside with thicker planking. This kept me from progressing my build and found other means to spend my spare time for the past year. Last week I was reinspired after making a 1:5 hall table study model for a next project in my house. So I started to pick up modeling again over the past few days and decided to do some cheating to make my life a little easier. The spriketting will be done laminated style for ease of application. I'm pleased with the first results and will start posting some pictures the coming days.

Sorry for keeping everybody waiting this long.

Remco

Edited by Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Great to see you back Remco. You have inspired more modellers than you might imagine, especially with your tag line. I look forward to seeing more updates from you through 2017.

Great to see you back in the fold Remco.   MANY of us are looking forward to seeing new photos of your work!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Remco ~ it has been a very l-o-n-g time but I'm sure there are plenty like me who are keen to be seeing your updates.

​I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one for whom hull planking isn't a favourite activity.

​ . . . and I'm intrigued to find out what 'cheating' in a 'Remco style' could be!

- - - I know what my style of cheating is, but I don't think the words 'cheating' and 'Remco' should appear in the same sentence!

Jim.

I cut it twice . . . . . and it's still too short!

HMS Leopard 1790; scratch build 1:80 PoB

Cross Section - HMS Leopard 1790 - 1:44         

Was wondering what the heck was going on with you mate.  

"Burn-out" happens to all of us....this is a very intense hobby, and after a while we just need to step away rather than allow the quality of our work to suffer.  Am I right?

In my case, I took almost two years break.

Missed you and, as with everyone else, excited to see you back.

Dave 

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

It's great to hear from you again, Remco.   I think we were all beginning to get worried.   As for "cheating"... no such animal in my book as the results are important.   Laminating isn't cheating, IMO.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)