HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Thanks Remco, your build is truly inspirational. 

I may have to make my own plugs. I wish I was more CAD, 3D printer savvy.  I would think that someone could easily scale a plug to any size and print one out in no time at all.

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Great news to know you're back, Remco! As The others, I'm sure any project u'r in Will be great!

5 hours ago, Dowmer said:

Thanks Remco, your build is truly inspirational. 

I may have to make my own plugs. I wish I was more CAD, 3D printer savvy.  I would think that someone could easily scale a plug to any size and print one out in no time at all.

You would miss ha;f the fun, creating the plug ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hoi Remco,

Glad to see you back here.  Thanks for your PM with all the pics, lovely area you are at.  I'll write you a regular e-mail asap.

All the best to you and Rosette.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for the group. Has anybody figured out the number of blocks and  sizes that are needed to fully rig a Swan class? I thought it would be a good project to get into my build again to make them all in one go. 

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

You might ask this in the Rigging area as more folks will see it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Table III in David's Volume 4 of The Fully Framed Model lists all the blocks on the fore and main yards for a start. Then simply go through each page of the book and tabulate the rest. Give us the results and he'll be sure to credit you in the addendum to the Volume 4 reprint :)

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

13 hours ago, amateur said:

Perhaps Dan knows?

No he doesn't :D. I was making the blocks as I needed them.

It's a pretty good idea to make them all in one go, especially if you are going to use a Mill to shape them. Save a lot of setting up.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks Danny. 

I’ve taken Greg’s approach, but it iis pretty confusing if you try to do this with the book and the supplied drawings. 

I’ll make some extras and pick the ones that turned out best. Currently this is what I think I will need:

4” 7 single blocks

5” 11 single

6” 30 single

7” 11 single

8” 27 single

9” 10 single

10” 4 single

11” 4 double

12” 12 double

14” 11 single and 4 double

15” 1 single

20” 10 single

138 in total and that is not a lot I think so I might have forgotten some. And this is only the rigging of the masts so the gun tackles would need another 32 🧐

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Don't forget the myriad deadeyes, the various hearts, euphroes, and other assorted odds and ends! I always use the 'just in time' approach as I go: it's much less boring than turning out dozens and dozens of blocks all at one time. I use the same approach for spinning up cordage.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

1 hour ago, druxey said:

Don't forget the myriad deadeyes, the various hearts, euphroes, and other assorted odds and ends! I always use the 'just in time' approach as I go: it's much less boring than turning out dozens and dozens of blocks all at one time. I use the same approach for spinning up cordage.

Ah, you saved the day ... spinning cordage .. so when your out of it you start to purr (a joke for the Dutch: spinning is Dutch but alos used for purring, and a.o. twining)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

13 hours ago, Remcohe said:

the gun tackles would need another 32

Actually they would need 64 :huh:, unless you are going to rig the train tackles as well in which case you would need 96. Just for the guns.

Sorry about that :D.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

• 2 weeks later...

I could not miss the opportunity to visit Remco, since we are now basically neighbours :) 

Can confirm, the Kingfisher is feeling good in a new clean and super structured workshop. Hope it will survive the period of abnormal dry weather that we currently have...

5b579824d245e_Foto2018-07-21113447.thumb.jpg.ca707b2e398c712b93c089a37b4c0b9a.jpg'

5b57982eed107_Foto2018-07-21113734.thumb.jpg.e4d7d33dfc70e771efc3f9c63f6c746a.jpg

I was amazed how crisp and clean all joints are! It is not a photoshop, it is better than I imagined based on the build log photos :)

5b57982898242_Foto2018-07-21113454.thumb.jpg.020e9c8e3208deb1b1b4e0581a09dd50.jpg

5b57982c0e5a6_Foto2018-07-21113618.thumb.jpg.7c71824ee77d66853929e0faa5a6f54b.jpg

5b5798327b19b_Foto2018-07-21113741.thumb.jpg.5ce9229043270065ec5e74c431c2bdc2.jpg

5b57983640f8f_Foto2018-07-21113805.thumb.jpg.76654dcc8cd66ad0da39a404c1df340b.jpg

The boats are neat:

5b579821afa3e_Foto2018-07-21113434.thumb.jpg.4b4fc114cc191d420554be769146c961.jpg

And, of course, various parts are still there, each could be a model of its own:

5b57983d7ad82_Foto2018-07-21115539.thumb.jpg.8d185bc0c9c2c7f6e3e3798d9da7de6c.jpg

5b579839289c4_Foto2018-07-21114416.thumb.jpg.c7f1427eab3ef90888015e16f6b607dd.jpg

5b57984431dfe_Foto2018-07-21120223.thumb.jpg.3517053a6ca4723b3c548bbdd547a4b4.jpg

5b5798410ae66_Foto2018-07-21120134.thumb.jpg.fcdd8726dbfac017a4b6d0b974aa1de2.jpg

Remco is definitely a master modeler. He makes me want to set my models on fire and starting knitting sweaters for a hobby. :D

beautiful as always. 

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Every piece he does is a work of art.  I hope to have even 1/2 of his skill by the time I grow up.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pure eye candy.  I feel better now that I have had my Remco fix.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 3 weeks later...

Sweden is a great place to live in 😉

But then I might be a little biased of course 😄

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

I can personally attest to the quality of Remco's work, he even let me hold the ship in my hands - it's heavy too.

Yeah, Gwen and I with daughter Marianne and grandson Troy came to visit a few years ago. Wonderful memories.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 3 months later...

Thank you Lawrence, Montañes,

The hinges on the shotlocker are not workable. Back then I didn't have the soldering skills to do that. Now I could make them workable if I wanted to, just like the hinges on the stove.

But what you see in the picture is a combination of stock card painted black and brass rod.

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here