HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Thank you Lawrence.

Jan, my build is currently going at a crawling pace. There is so much else to do and going on in my life at the moment. But every once in a while I have the opportunity to make a few fixed blocks, so at least there is progress. But not something worthwhile to show here...

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work Remco! 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Wow!!!

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

• 2 years later...

So a little sign of life. In the past two years a lot has happened that has nothing to do with shipbuilding unfortunately.  So in a nutshell this is what happened. A year and a half after I had moved to Sweden I got redundant and I have been searching for a new job since. Understandably not an easy task under the current economic circumstances. To cut costs I moved back to The Netherlands and moved in with my dad. All my stuff including the things from my workshop are in storage and I'm praying my Kingfisher will survive this mothball experience.

To keep my hands busy between the times I'm job hunting I am building some off topic plastic kits as they don't require so much tools. I found out that Tamiya's 1/12 motor cycle kits are the best painting challenge I can find and they kept me busy.

After I have found myself a new job and a new place to stay I can get my workshop up and hopefully have time to get some progress done on Kingfisher.

For now I wish you all a safe and healthy holiday season and a good 2021 for the hobby.

Remco

Edited by Remcohe

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Good Morning Remco;

I wish you all success in your hunt for work, and a speedy return to your workshop. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Hello Remco,

after such a long time I am happy to see another

sign of life from you.

Hallo Remco,

es freut mich nach so langer Zeit wieder ein Lebenszeichen von dir.

Ich freue mich schon auf dein Kingfisher Modell.

Grüsse

Karl

Edited by Jeronimo

Welcome home (to MSW) Remco. Very sorry to hear that life has thrown you a few curve balls, but glad to see you back on the forum. I look forward to the day that progress can resume on your magnificent Kingfisher.

Goed to hear a sign of life from you.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I'm sorry to read of the difficulties you've been having, Remco. I wish better fortune for 2021 than you've had this year. Every best wish as you look for a new position. Hopefully we'll soon see you back with progress on your Kingfisher.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Great to hear from you, Remco, but not so great to hear of your recent trials.  Hope all is well and things look up for you in the new year.  2020 has not been great for many of us, but hopefully we will all head back to normal next year.  All the best.  I look forward to seeing your work again on MSW.

Ed

Happy to finally hear from one of my favorite model builders. Sorry to hear of your current circumstances and hope things improve for you in 2021. We miss your updates!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Good to hear from you Remco.  I am sorry to hear of the changes in your life, but hope that things improve for you in the coming year.  We have missed you here and look forward to you staying in touch.  We have a section for non-ship builds that is ideal for you to share your work on your 1/12 Tamiya motorcycle builds.  Knowing your attention to detail, I bet they are outstanding builds.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

It's great to see you back, Remco.  You were missed.   Sorry about the job situation and all the turmoil that goes with but persevere, the right job will open up to you.   Ryland's suggestion about logs for your plastic models is spot on.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It is wonderful hearing from you.  Sorry to hear of your real life problems.  Wishing you the best in 2021.  Hopefully you will be able to resume Kingfisher soon.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Sorry to hear of your tribulations Remco; especially in these times.  Best of luck in finding new employment soon and that we see you back at the building table.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Remco,

I join everyone else in wishing you the best in finding your way forward. You continue to provide inspiration for me, when I look at your build, and I think every day about your great tagline, "Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime." It keeps me going through the slow times!

Looking forward to your eventual return to the shipyard,

Mark

Welcome back and best of luck to you!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On a positive note for us bystanders, this log will hopefully continue for a long time still 😉

And on a more serious note, we really hope all your trials will end and that life will be sorted for you Remco. 

Take care!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

I thought you took quite some time to set up shop. These trials and trebulations are not something I expected. I hope you will find a fitting position, and get your life back on track. I wish you and your father Merry Christmas, and a Happy, & healthy New Year.

Let us enjoy your plastic builds in a build log as suggested by others, maybe I can learn some more from you to use on my plastic builds.

Take care, and good hunting

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words. As per request I openend a post for the bike build: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/27075-ducati-1199-panigale-s-tricolore-by-remcohe-tamiya-112/

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco, thanks for sharing your situation, and truly hope it would be back on track soon! The journey of the Kingfisher would continue one day, I believe! :) Someday when it's done I hope to see it again, regardless of the location (it's worth a roadtrip!)

Merry Christmas, and let's hope that this curveball is a beginning of something new, something great! 💪