HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Hi Remco,

I'm new to your log and wish to add my own "Outstanding". Beautiful work through and through.

P.S. Love those mini woodworking clamps you've shared with us.

Edited by Paddy

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

OH my.....some of the best buiding I have ever seen......

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hi Remco, I'm glad to be able to sit back and watch you work again. Very inspiring.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Beautiful work, Remco.  I glad that working with plastic didn't hurt your wood skills.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hoi Remco,

Good to see you back at the KF again!  Hey, a little diversion is always good but the calling of the wood was greater that the plastic  ^_^

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for the warm welcome back guys! Really appreciated.

I made the carlings and ledges around the mast partner. As two of the carlings are half lapped under the beams and the mast partner itself is let down 1" on the beam this makes for some interesting cutting and fitting....

post-20-0-55650900-1381084327_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-24267900-1381084272_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-19605800-1381084273_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-21133400-1381084470_thumb.jpeg

The mast wedges will be simulated by scoring the ring with a graphite dipped scalpel blade (actually it's already done but this other ring is fitted to the mast)

post-20-0-80358100-1381084270_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Great to see you back with KF.  Your joinery is lovely, as always.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Thanks.

I temporary turned my attention to make the aft hatch and grating. Making gratings was one of the things I've been looking forward to making. I finally got around to set up my table saw to make the notched battens, it was actually less difficult than I had imagined. In the end I didn't use the special sled I had made, but just a regular cross sled with a small batten off set from the blade to make repeated cuts. I had to adapt the coamings to let the bitt pins pass. 

A big batch of notched battens were made so I only need to do this once and have good supply to make all the gratings.

post-20-0-62056400-1381587043_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-14248500-1381587041_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-41863100-1381587042_thumb.jpeg

The nails are simulated with a graphite tipped needle, just like I did on the mast tops.

post-20-0-64616500-1381587039_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hoi Remco,

Now THAT's a very lovely model of a hatch!!  Looks like your mom didn't raise a dummy, making all the hatch parts at once  :)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

bigtree1993,

Have you read the log from the beginning like when he first started it on MSW1. You might think different about trying to buy one if you can, not too sure you can buy one of the same kits anymore unless someone wants to sell there's. There is another company that has them just can't remember who it is. Someone here will know. But Remco has put a heck of a lot of work into this, had to make things that didn't work or fit. He will tell you.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

The "other" company is The Royal Shipyard of Plymouth, and here's the link:

http://www.royalshipyard.com/Home.aspx

They bought the equipment from Bob Hunt when he decided to throw in the towel.  But as you'll see if you go to the website, they don't seem to be ready to do any business yet.

You're right, though, it is a great kit -- especially in the skilled hands of someone like Remco.  Bob Hunt used to put these up for sale at deep discounts, and back then I thought they were still too expensive.  Now I kick myself.

-- And Remco, let me say that I do, do, do admire your skills.  I have read you log several times just to admire it.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Not to hijack Remco's thread, but if Royal Shipyard has no plans to produce those kits, it would be nice if someone with the resources could buy up the CAD drawings and re-jig for laser cutting and start making the kit again.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

My two cents in the "should I buy the kit" discusion

With the knowledge I have now of the 'kit' I would not buy it again. Apart from the hefty price tag it's more of a scratch build starter package than a kit. And although all the parts are precut, Mr Hunt had no good control of his CNC router leaving ugly dents in every part. Cleaning up is tedious and will harm the overall shape of the parts. I stopped using them a long time ago....

Building the kit is just as complex as making it from scratch, so if I could go back in time I would:

Get the Swan plans from admiraltymodels.com 

Get the Swan framing package from hobbymillusa.com 

Get TFFM Vol I, II and III from seawatchbooks.com, well I got them as you need the books even if you have the 'kit' as the practicum won't take you all the way.

(ps just a happy customer from the above company's nothing more) 

Buy yourself a good scroll saw and table saw, you can easily squeeze this into the budget of the kit price you've just saved from spending. And it's a good investment for future projects. 

Take a plunge into the wonderful world of scratch building, it's not as difficult as I had imagined especially with all the help and knowledge here on MSW you can tap in to. And one other thing, if you mess up a kit part like the hawse timbers ( it took me more than one attempt :blush: ) you're in trouble. But if you make your own parts you just cut a new set and try again.....

Now lets get back on topic :) Thank you Martin for your kind words.

Current state of the lower deck. Progress is slow bud steady.

post-20-0-08339800-1382796434_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-87803200-1382796436_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Well said Remco and your work is still an inspiration. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Remco,

I can't say it any better than Rusty.  Oh... I can say "wow!!!". :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

One of the best speeches about scratch I have seen in a while...

If I have learned something from 2011 till now is that there is no shortpaths in the scratch building. The best tools I ever bought are the the scroll saw and the band disc sander. Now I am looking for the vertical mill but It will have to wait. Of course lots of books no specially expensive and many many hours looking arround in MSW.

Best wishes!

Daniel.

Hi Remco

thanks for your remarks in your post #265 and for sharing all your build-log from begin to date, it`s real eyecandy to study in all Details

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Very nicely said Remco. And to echo others comments, your build log continues to be an inspiration to many of us here.

Excellent summary, Remco. There are no short cuts to building a fully framed ship model. Your review is the best recipe for success that I've seen. In addition, as a sort of primer on framing a model one might consider one of the cross sections such as Echo, Triton or the bomb ketch.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks for the appreciation. Greg's right, starting with a cross section  (and a cross section is already a big project!) is good advise.

Today something different. For some time I've been using a small board as a movable workstation, so I can move is out of the way if I need to install something in the hull. As you can see I don't use a building board to hold the hull as I work mostly seated. The board is also used for my sanding block and today I added a small edge to is so it works as a shooting bord now. I had to adapt the sanding block so it will ride along the edge. A good sanding station helps to make perfect joints ( and sharp chisels....).

post-20-0-15983900-1382902743_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-42623300-1382902744_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-80067400-1382902745_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here