HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Stunning! Well done Remco.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hmmmm,  that bar just keeps getting higher!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

You never cease to amaze me with your detail work Remco! Beautifully done Sir!

Hi Remco,

I just saw your posting on Facebook, and noticed your gun barrels. I don't see anything about that on your posting here. They are beautifully detailed; can you show a few images of how you did that? Is each one individually turned, or did you make a master and cast? And how did you create the beautiful engraving on top?

Best wishes,

Mark

WOW!                                                                  143 !

One hundred forty three holes... Amazing!!!

Daniel.

Thanks guys for all the likes and complements!

Greg, it's no coincidence, coamings and ledges were fit to the finished grating. I rather see a not so perfectly sized coaming than a mutilated grating to get it fit in a perfect coaming.

Joe, I think 45 minutes.

Mark, I'll pass the compliments to Greg, the barrels are from admiraltymodels.com the engravings, or Royal Cyphers were a 'wedding gift' from Greg. EU etching produced these but I'm not sure if they are still available. The 'only' thing I added was the vent. 

post-20-0-96875300-1385577090_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-27510900-1385577092_thumb.jpg

Daniel, thanks for taking the time to count them, and this is just one of many gratings  ;)

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hey Remco, now that's a real sweet looking battle station bro!

Hmmmm, how many more gratings?  How many more holes for graphite?  Hope you don't get nightmares - - - gratings, gratings, all floating around and around - - - arch - - -  ;)  ;)

Great work!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Remco,

Beautiful work on the guns and carriages - those Admiralty Models barrels are every bit as good as the ones I got for Vulture, only I didn't have to spend much time on detailing mine as the Royal Cypher and Touchole were already cast into them :) .

A word about the way you've rigged the guns (excellent seizings etc BTW) - a gun that is "run out" wouldn't have the side tackles frapped, rather coiled beside the gun ready to fire. The frapped tackles are used when it's in the Stowed position.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks Grant, about 3 on the main deck and a few small ones I think. No nightmares here ;)

Danny, thanks for the compliment and pointing out my error, I made the battle station 3 years ago meanwhile I also learned  I shouldn't portray them run out   :)

Meanwhile knight to C4, bishop to C4, bishop takes knight........ I like Greg's metaphor that scratch building is like playing chess. And I was caught by my opponent. I forgot to cut the mortises in the curved beam and had to do them in situ, little nerve wrecking.....

post-20-0-91612300-1385926869_thumb.jpeg

So a little mile stone today, I finished all the beams, knees, carlings, ledges, opposing knees ands so on for the lower deck that I want to portray. After sanding the deck it came out really nice. On to the planking of the deck, I'll keep that to a minimum though to show as much of the details as possible. A waterway on both sides and just enough planks to support the bulkheads.

post-20-0-55365200-1385926871_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-81814000-1385926872_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Absolutely beautiful work.  I feel your anxiety of cutting those mortises on the beam arms in situ.  Mine would have probably crashed into the hold.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I forgot to cut the mortises in the curved beam and had to do them in situ, little nerve wrecking

Oops :huh:  . And yet ..... your's STILL came out better than mine - and I DIDN'T forget to cut them first :D . Well done.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Hi Remco,

Congrats on the completion of the lower deck, everything looks superb!  Nice work on the forgotten mortises, they came out great.

And now onward with the next deck.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks all for your kind compliments. Much appreciated!

I have a question for you shipwrights. I'm wondering how the waterway is tree nailed, would it follow the same principle for tree nailing patterns as regular deck planks or is it different?

Remco

ps I got the new fiebing's dye, this is certainly different stuff ;-)

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hello!

I guess that since the water way in a man of war ship is cut back to allow the wheels of the cannons go foreward, the tree nails should go on this "cut back" surface. I guess the surface should be around 45º if not rounded. The amount of treenails, don´t know but I would drill them agains the frames in a 45º position.

Here´s a paper of a shipwright from here, he is naval engineer. Maybe it is helful for you or others. This kind of papers you cannot find around bookstores.

PONEN_FRANCISCO_FERNANDEZ_GONZALEZ_152p.pdf  (See page #132)

Regards,

Daniel.

Edited by harvey1847

Hi Remco,

A word about the way you've rigged the guns (excellent seizings etc BTW) - a gun that is "run out" wouldn't have the side tackles frapped, rather coiled beside the gun ready to fire. The frapped tackles are used when it's in the Stowed position.

I’m not entirely sure that that is the case. There were different levels of securing the guns, and there would no doubt be differences between the heavy lower deck guns with port lids in place and lighter open deck guns where run out and secured would be an option.

This is in fact shown in Seamanship in the age of Sail (John Harland) which includes a chapter on securing the guns. He makes the point that the Upper deck guns were ordinarily secured in the ‘run out’ position and shows the side tackles frapped.

On a small vessel like a sixth rate with six pounders, I would suggest that 'run out' with tompions in place would have been logically applicable.

B.E.

Beautiful work, Remco.  I'll have to leave the questions about frapping and treenailing to all those scholars I'm learning from, but I'm sure the discussion will be fruitful.  ;) 

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

there would no doubt be differences between the heavy lower deck guns with port lids in place and lighter open deck guns where run out and secured would be an option.

BE - I agree with that, but the Swans have both open ports and closed ones on the same deck. As there is no way to stow the guns in the "run out" position on the closed ports (it would of course negate the use of port lids) they'd have to be stowed in the "run in" position unless they were stowed in the fore-aft position.

TFFM shows them all as stowed in the "run in" position.

Cheers, Danny

That’s a given Danny, I was obviously referring to the open ports, which on the model are the ‘show’ ports.

The question of 'run in' and secured or secured 'side on' is interesting given the small space on a Swan, particularly in relation to those adjacent to the Galley Stove and those within the partitioned Captains bed space and Coach. The latter is not an issue with Kingfisher and other 14 gunners as the ports did not house a gun.

B.E.