HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Thanks guys.

I agree with Ben, who agreed with Grant, who agreed with Bob, who agreed with Chris ;)

It should be very subtle but now it's too subtle, Druxey is usually ;) right so I'll be patient.

Alan I guess Druxey answers your question.

Greg, I used box treenails the end grain has almost the same color as pear. On my test piece I used one coat of fieblings and subtle sanding afterwards. This left the treenails a little darker and showed the color of the pear a bit, quite pleasing. But as staining the large area became blotchy I had to apply more coats of stain resulting in a very even tone. Good for fieblings as it really stains through and through, can't go wrong with that stuff if you need a nice even finish. As most would like staining leather I presume :)

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Your Build Log is just incredible......unbelievably. You are doing a fantastic job on this ship.....great......!

Remco I have a question to you......I found this on your first page

post-4740-0-03892700-1400768012.jpeg

have you done this yourself or did you buy this?????? And when you buy this, where can I get those things. Sorry but I do not know the name of the things on this picture  :huh:

With best regards

Tom

Current Kit Build Log

The Sovereign of the Seas 1/84

commissioning

HMS Supply

Thank you Rich, Tom.

Tom I bought them, it's called a thumb nut or Rändelmuttern in German. The rest of the clamp is home made and they work brilliant. I can make a picture of a disassembled one if you like

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Here you go Tom. A small plate is soldered to a piece of thread rod. I made plates from those little hook's you can nail to the wall to hang a small picture from. The device is locked at the back of the frame with a cocktail stick.

At first I used wing nuts as I could not find thumb nuts, the thumb nuts work way better as you can tighten them with one hand, with a wing nut this will take you much longer, not good when the glue is drying while your applying the clamps. 

post-20-0-66927600-1400785869_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-25988100-1400786128.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Planking continued, the black strake (that won't be stained black) and the first strake above it. The openings for the ports and sweep ports are roughly cut. The joints are tinted with pencel lead, it does not show now but it will when the finish s applied.

I'll be taking some shore leave and be back in a week.

post-20-0-97137900-1400871491_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-05268900-1400871493_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco the wales look really sharp and I would agree with druxey that over time the character of the work on the treenails and joints will be readable.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been away from my log way to long, vacation, sickness and other projects kept me away from my Kingfisher. Time for an update, although a little off topic. I wasn't very pleased with the storage space I made under my workbench so it was time for a big upgrade. More drawers and a sliding platform to keep the power tools within practical reach. Always nice to do a full size project. Here's before, during and after.

post-20-0-27615000-1403345521.jpeg

post-20-0-02163800-1403345522.jpeg

post-20-0-72760100-1403345522.jpeg

post-20-0-46844700-1403345523.jpeg

Stay tuned for updates on the KF

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

I've recently been thinking along very similar lines Remco. Great to see your ideas brought to fruition - looks very ship shape.

Magnificent Remco, a real class act.  Thinking about it - - - I could use something like it - - - taking orders??   ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for the likes and compliments.

Piet I will take an order from you, but be aware I will do the assembly on site only ;)

So I have a new apprentice in the shop, 9 weeks old Pebbles is taking a real intrest in ship building. She's already very skilled in making small parts disappear, I think that is a sign of a great shipwright in the making  ^_^

post-20-0-47998500-1403642605_thumb.jpeg

In the background you can see progress of planking above the wale. They will be sanded before I add the sheer strake.

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

So back on the real topic, I sanded the planking and now I'm in the process of cutting out the gun ports. A piece of sanding paper on a stick makes the process a little easier. The sweep ports will be a different challenge....

post-20-0-63697200-1403814539_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-63672600-1403814540_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Beautiful, Remco. Same sanding stick, just a helluva lot smaller, for the sweeps. For those who haven't done this before make sure the sandpaper (rubber cemented on) does not extend to the opposite port.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Beautiful, Remco. Same sanding stick, just a helluva lot smaller, for the sweeps. For those who haven't done this before make sure the sandpaper (rubber cemented on) does not extend to the opposite port.

Yep, what Druxey said - I did exactly that on Vulture. And only glue the sandpaper to ONE face, turning it 90 degrees for each edge at a time (sounds obvious, but I've seen a few guys trying to do two edges at a time with disastrous results :huh:  ).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Lovely work Remco. Pebbles is adorable as all kittens are. My cat didn't chase parts all over the workshop but did have one pesky habit. She continuously needed to be the center of attention and would lay down on anything I happened to be working on at the moment, demanding some attention. You've got to love em.

IR3

For those who haven't done this before make sure the sandpaper (rubber cemented on) does not extend to the opposite port

Regarding the sanding sticks, I have found that double sided tape is much easier than rubber cement.

Nice work on the workbench Remco, Pebbles looks like a real charmer.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks.

The sweeps were easier than I thought, but the sheer plank not. A pesky little plank to shape as it widens over the gun ports. And when I glued it in place I noticed that it does not run in a fair line over the first gunport (second port from the bow)   :(

The last row of planks below it are the source of the problem, so this needs to come off and I'll call for a redo......

post-20-0-52738300-1404070580_thumb.jpeg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Yep, a redo - - - join the redo crowd - - - why should I the the only one here  ;)

I'm not worried, what - - - with your skills - - - it'll work out just fine.  Chalk it up to practice  ;)  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

While I don't envy you the re-do Remco, it is re-assuring to we lesser mortals to know that even someone of your skills and talent sometimes needs to do so. I look forward to seeing your solution to this pesky problem.

No matter how experienced, we ALL have re-do's in our models - whether we admit them or not!

P. S. You may wish to check the upper sill of the bridle port while you are at it: it looks out of line in your photo.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I got around to do the redo, and guys I'm mortal too and with the rest of you doing my fair share of redo's every once and a while.... I had a few set backs like the new plank snapping when I was heat bending it, resulting in taking some leave from the shipyard. Tonight I got back and fixed the sheer plank.

Eagle-eye Druxey I measured it up and the upper sill is correct, but the run of the planking creates the illusion of the still sitting too low, with the sheer strake corrected it still looks wrong so I'll make some adjustment to make it look optically okay too.

post-20-0-02028800-1406661896_thumb.jpeg

My Kingfisher also suffered her first battle damage, it took some small arms fire on the riding bitt's 

post-20-0-52041700-1406661901_thumb.jpeg

Actually Pebbles took a bite at it while I was not paying attention :(

The bitt cannot be replaced without mayor surgery, so I'll keep her signature om my KF

From now on the shipyard will be off limits for my little furry shipmate......

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here