HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Thanks for the dimensions. I don't use a scale ruler but a conversion table to quickly get from feet/inch to mm

Work continued on the bowsprit step. To accurately determine the step (square hole) in the chock (the vertical plank between the bitts) I had to make the bowsprit itself too. I find it very satisfying to make a mast just with hand tools, it takes time but the result is very accurate. 

While cutting the step the rabbet between the two planks very nicely

post-20-0-27342400-1425397635_thumb.jpg

The bowsprit was cut from square to octagonal to round using a hand plane, well honed chisels and sandpaper. 

post-20-0-09842800-1425397633_thumb.jpg

The base going from round to square

post-20-0-32243000-1425397637_thumb.jpg

And the tip

post-20-0-43190100-1425397639_thumb.jpg

The step is also rebated into the upright bitts

post-20-0-67060400-1425397641_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-72291900-1425397883_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-36196300-1425397885_thumb.jpg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

beautiful Fitting work Remco,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Beautiful work, Remco.  Hopefully as relaxing to do as it is rewarding.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fantastic work Remco, bravo!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Magnificent piece of work Remco.  Real clean and neat.  What kind of wood did you use?

David B

As usual, completely re-inspired just visiting this build Remco. Knowing I'll never achieve this level, it still makes me (and others) strive for the Next level. A real pleasure to see every new update.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks all for your kind words. And yes Mark it's relaxing. 

David B, 99% is Castello Boxwood and deck planking is Holly

Just a minor update, the mast step finished with lots of bolts and 4 shaves.

post-20-0-89116200-1425938344_thumb.jpg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

• 2 months later...

Jaw droppingly good Remco, beautiful workmanship.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 3 weeks later...

Finally a long overdue update. My KF got little attention lately as work and other (fun) projects got in the way.

I cut all the mortices for the carlings in the upper deck beams and started to make the first of the knee's and hanging knees. These are not one of my favourite parts to make and unfortunately every beam has a hanging knee. This is due to the heavy load on the deck with all the canons. I'll stick to my mantra and go step by step or part by part in this case :)

post-20-0-93459500-1434828409_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-05319800-1434828411_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-23409300-1434828414_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-79340200-1434828412_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-77406800-1434828408_thumb.jpg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Johann is right... beautifuly done, Remco.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fantastic work, Remco

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Nice to see you back at it Remco. Lovely work, as always!

Edited by gjdale

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your kind words and likes.

Work is progressing and more knees, hanging knees, carlings and ledges are added. 

I also forgot to install a pillar in front of the fore mast , but that was taken care of.

post-20-0-60205400-1438202330_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-94502800-1438202331_thumb.jpg

The last opportunity to take a look at the sail room before its permanently installed in the hull

post-20-0-52133000-1438202327_thumb.jpg

Some of the knees with mortices cut

post-20-0-99162300-1438202328_thumb.jpg

The state of the upper deck to date

post-20-0-15215600-1438202326_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-29855500-1438202324_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-82693600-1438202586_thumb.jpg

The next weeks will be more of the same... with the addition of installing hammock battens as I work my way across the deck

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Perfect, as always, Remco. Did you use a duplicator on the lathe for the pillars or freehand them? The sail room is magnificent 

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752