HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Great to see you back Remco and to see that lovely model of yours again.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Good seeing you back in the shipyard again Remco.  I fully understand other things getting in between like what's happening with me right now. 

Actually, when you get right down to it, wood is naturally "laminated" from one year's growth to the next.  All you are doing is mimicking nature and knowing you it'll be indistinguishably !

Keep the mojo going my friend.

Cheers,   

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Remco,

A warm welcome back to us.

Sometimes a "time-out" is necessary and will make one more eager to get back to modeling.

Happy New Year!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Remco, you and your Kingfisher have been sorely missed.  We all understand burnout and dreaded parts of a build.  My downfall has always been rigging.  Welcome back!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

It may comfort you that the builders of a full-size replica of the same period (see http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12395-replica-poltava-1712-russian-ship-of-the-line ) also used lamination for the internal planking in the bow, where curves are steep. And some outside curves as well.

So it is definitely not cheating! :)

Edited by Mike Y

Thanks all for the warm welcome back!

So here's some progress. The forward strokes of the spriketting are done. Two layers of wood are used, they are now thin enough to bend by hand and set them in place to do the final shaping to match the waterway. They are done anchor stock style, so not having to do wet/warm bending them is a big plus. 

The first layer is intentionally done a bit wider and cut to size after the second layer is fixed (the surplus is seen in the second pic)

Getting to fay the planks into the waterway called for some additional sanding and shaping to get a clean transition.

post-20-0-81162100-1483905148_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-82362300-1483905158_thumb.jpg

The quick work will be thinner and can probably be done with a single layer of planking. 

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

That worked out pretty good Remco. 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Welcome back, Remco.  I've missed your updates.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody,

I realize I have been away from MSW for way to long. So here is a quick update. 

Well Kingfisher is somewhat in the mothball as I had trouble to keep motivated building the inner planking. I had some other projects going on in my workshop like building a semi full size router/tablesaw combination, some furniture and a side step into paper modeling. 

The biggest project started beginning of this year when I was approached for a new job. It involved relocation to Sweden so that kept me and my wife very busy. Meanwhile we have been living here in Sweden for a little over a month now. My workshop is back in business, allthough all current projects are related to the house. But it should not take too long before I could comence with some modeling. Wether it will be paper or wood I’m not sure yet. 

So I’m still alive and kicking. 

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

2 hours ago, Remcohe said:

it should not take too long before I could comence with some modeling. Wether it will be paper or wood I’m not sure yet. 

That's good to hear Remco :). I've been doing paper for my last four ships and thoroughly enjoying it. No doubt whatever you chose they will turn out fantastic (as usual) :D.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Glad to hear all is well with you Remco. Burnout is inevitable with a project like a Swan class model. Look forward to future updates of whatever.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Great to see you back Remco.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

That's all good news, Remco.  It's great to hear from you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thought it a wee bit silent on the "Barendrecht"-front. Sweden, that's a whole different ball game. Actually, I'm kind a jealous, having passed a long weekend in Stockholm last year, I got a taste for it. Hope you'll settle in soon and enjoy the work, and surroundings. Take care, I'll be waiting patiently.

P.s. I took your advise to heart and ordered the Byrnes table saw, thanks for that

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Great to see you back again Remco - with whatever form of modelling you might tackle. Hope you enjoy your Swedish sojourn.

Hi Remco.  Great to hear from you again! Glad to hear the move is over and you are settling in.

Always look forward to hearing from you! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2013 at 3:40 PM, Remcohe said:

Building the cutter using the Admiralty models plug

post-20-0-02337900-1360960777_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-85376000-1360960778_thumb.jpg

Remcohe, fabulous build.  I'm glad to hear your relocation went well to Sweden and perhaps you will be back into finishing the Kingfisher.  Your talents are exceptional.

Early on in the build you mentioned using an Admiralty model plug for the small boat (see above).  I didn't see it on their website.  Is this still available?  How did you get it?  I have some small boats to build and this would make life much easier.

Also, how did you keep the planks from sticking on your plugs/molds with the glue?  Also, what kind of glue did you use?  There seems to be no sight of the glue in your woodwork of the Kingfisher.

Sorry for so many questions

Thanks

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

58 minutes ago, Dowmer said:

Early on in the build you mentioned using an Admiralty model plug for the small boat (see above).  I didn't see it on their website.  Is this still available?  How did you get it?  I have some small boats to build and this would make life much easier.

Also, how did you keep the planks from sticking on your plugs/molds with the glue?  Also, what kind of glue did you use?  There seems to be no sight of the glue in your woodwork of the Kingfisher.

Sorry for so many questions

Thanks

Unfortunately, these cutter plugs are no longer available. But they are reusable so perhaps someone might wish to part with theirs.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

My plug already found a new owner, but you could make one from scratch as well. I did this for my Pinnace and it was fun to do. You don't have to make the cut outs for the frames as I found it easier to install them after the planking was finished. If you use a minimal amount of glue it won't stick to the mold and you can take the hull from the plug any time during the building process to check if the internal fitting is right to. It will be delicate though. I use Titebond regular (the red bottle) very sparingly in all parts of my build and wipe off any excess glue imediately.

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here