makeing sense of rigging plan abbreviations ?

Ive been trying to figgure out plan designations and i suppose there are varied and unique but i haven't followed several plans so my question henceforth"?

Trying to make sense or main mast mitzen mast and rear mast as possibly abbreviated on a set of plans . there are designations like MA 5, MA 4, MA7, & MA 1 i take to be the main mast Next i see TR 1 i think is the formast bottom section with TR 2 nd TR 3 being the top 2 sections of what probably the front mast on frigate essex plan . a three section mast designated ME1, ME2 and ME3 may be the yards for the main mast ME may be the rear mast. Has any one had such designations on a plan that would agree with my believe "?...this leaves me the conclusion that TR is formast but it could be mitzen any one certain could answer possibly thanks

expeiriment.jpg

Not sure if this can help but do you have any other plans for the rigging? These all appear to be the same sheet.  I'm winging it but B0 appears to be the bowsprit.  The rest appear to be as you sorted out based on size. 

Edit:  Appears I was staring at the prints when Jim posted.  Aeropiccola is Italian so that might help.  If the text is in Italian, then Google Translate is your friend... but with the usual caveats that it's not a perfect translation.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The key to the spar identity codes is provided for you in the lower left corner of this plan, where there is a simplified diagram of all the spars and their locations in relationship to each other.

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution 

The designations are from the Italian words :

Main mast - Albero Maestro

Fore mast - Albero Prodiero

Mizzen mast - Albero Mezzana

Bowsprit - Bompresso

The underlined first two letters are the designation (albero translates to mast)

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

• the TR designated mast and yards i take it now after looking again must certainly be the back mitzen for certain ? that is the iffy one of the three thanks for help and info what plans i have are printed off and hard to see the small numbers im thinking the 80 1 80 2 80 3 80 4 are the jibb spare or whatever its called this isnt that easy some of my plans are tracings from pc  screen, some where pdf print-offs so minimally effective .some where lost some are scattered long story shot planning same problem in different ways .Speaking of witch my plans probably are in english the same picture i snaged to use hear (to facilitate) is tuthfuly italian or such and yes this does partially ex plane half of what i can gather .   thanks for taking a look and maybe i can get a concept to start somewhere.I haven't worked much on ship this past year as i have been real busy
Edited by spongbob

Any body use aluminum to make those couple-rs that connect the different sections of mast" together seem's like ply would snap it the ever got bumped (hypothetical) not if you used like a bunch of 1/16 ply sandwiched 6 times ,ect. with super glue you know the pieces that are rectangular with 2 holes and offset the mast sections .il check later gotta get some rest...

Spongbob wrote:  the TR designated mast and yards i take it now after looking again must certainly be the back mitzen for certain

Spongbob,  The TR  is a poorly printed PR and it stands for the foremast. This is confirmed by the diagram in the lower left corner of your plans.  The ME labeled spars are for the mizzen.  That's the one that has a gaff and a boom.

Look at that diagram in the lower left.  Picture it as a complete ship viewed from the port side.  Starting on the left, the spar that points at an angle to the left is the bowsprit.  Next to it on the right is the fore mast, followed by the main and then the mizzen with its gaff and boom on the far right.

Spongbob wrote: im thinking the 80 1 80 2 80 3 80 4 are the jibb spare

The ones you are calling 80-1, 80-2, etc.  are actually labelled BO and that is definitely the bowsprit and jib

Regards,

Edited by popeye2sea

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci