Fokker Dr 1 by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - Artesania Latina

On 26/03/2018 at 7:52 PM, Mike Dowling said:

Not quite my friend. What might sway your choice is that the rudder, ailerons etc on the Sopwith were supposed (!!!) to move when the model was finished. On this one, despite the appropriate cables, they are not supposed to function.

Which doesn't mean those should remain static ;) (can always try to persuade you ...)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Popeye, everything you see is metal, no plastic at all on this kit except for the plastic thread provided for the tensioning wires which, by the way, doesn't work. Despite the video instructions on how to do it the thread will not stick to the deadeyes. I have had to resort to black polyester thread instead and sofar have done about half of them.

I know what you are thinking Carl and you can stop it !! This plane is going to be for'static display' definately. I only discovered this when I put in the control stick which has no articulations at all and my skills are not up to scratch building one that has especially at this tiny scale. Neither does the rudder pedal so the same applies. You will be wanting me to build one with a working engine next.

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

very tedious work to keep all the pivots movable....then all the fastenings that go along with it.   my hat's off to all who can achieve this......an act of the purest insanity  ;)    I have trouble even with plastic kits......one ill drop of glue,  and I've failed :( 

the kit has me fooled........clearly can see what looks like mold lines on the frame parts :wacko:  kinda interesting

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

There are a lot of pieces of brass tube that hold the metal sections together and small indents in various places where bits have to attach. If that's not what you mean Popeye then I didn't clean the edges well enough with filing. I thought I had done OK.

Now, joking apart guys, the Sopwith I made which was a model airways kit did have the correct articulations to make everything move in theory. What let the situation down was two things. Firstly the thread supplied for the cabling was quite stretchy and secondly a couple of what should have been pulleys in the wings  and rudder bar were not smooth enough to allow the thread to move freely across them. The end result was that everything did move as it should but not enough. John Blackwell who also did the Sopwith had I think similar problems. Obviously the AL kit was never intended to have moving parts. I don't know if the model airways version of the fokker does but I do know that the Albatross I have in my stash should !!

In the end who is going to move them anyway ? I can't find 1/16 pilots anywhere although I spent ages looking.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

2 hours ago, Mike Dowling said:

In the end who is going to move them anyway ? I can't find 1/16 pilots anywhere although I spent ages looking.

How are your bonsai skills ...?

Oh golly, another kit impatiently waiting for some TLC (knifes, glue, and paint) ... already looking forward to the next one. But first things first ... Dr 1 (could be a 007 film title ;) )

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

To be honest i wouldn,t worry about having moving parts ,as u say who will move them anyway ? i would be more concerned about the finished look  . problem with moving parts is people are inclined to move them and usually break them !!!!

Firstly a big thank you to all who are watching and liking what they see. Its great to be able to share the log.

Now, here is a turnbuckle.

After 36 of them and a lot of string (!!!) here is what it looks like now.

DSCN1539.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

DSCN1543.JPG

DSCN1542.JPG

DSCN1541.JPG

DSCN1540.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

You have some well trained spiders, Mike.:o:D

Your rigging is excellent.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Don't be such a scaredy !! If I can do it anyone can. The rigging on the fuselage of this is much more complicated than the Sopwith but conversely the wings on this are much easier - if  ever get to them - just wrestling with the tailplane at the moment.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I started going through your log day before yesterday, yesterday and caught up now. This sure brings back memories from a previous life when I owned and operated an aircraft repair business.  Yeah, repaired quite a few damaged steel tube fuselages and wooden as well as metal rib, fabric covered airplanes.

We never made much money but I had a lot of fun, especially test flying them after they were put together.

As a matter of interest the more modern steel tube fuselages do not have the bracing anymore. Some more high performance aircraft had diagonal tubing welded instead though.

You are doing a bang-up job Mike. Hope you don't mind tagging along.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

You are more than welcome Piet and thank you for the interesting information.

I think Boyd that piano wire was used for the bracing, in the Sopwith anyway.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

We have a tailplane !

DSCN1545.JPG

DSCN1544.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

14 hours ago, Mike Dowling said:

You are more than welcome Piet and thank you for the interesting information.

I think Boyd that piano wire was used for the bracing, in the Sopwith anyway.

Most of the early WWI planes did use piano wire and turnbuckles for adjusting tension, if I remember correctly.  Lightweight, readily available, and relatively  simple to use.  The caveat is that later in the war, the faster, heavier fighters and the bombers needed something stronger and went to braided cable.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

And now we have a fully rigged rudder and tailplane !!

DSCN1548.JPG

DSCN1547.JPG

DSCN1546.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Nicely done, Mike. The skeletons of those old string bags were ingenious construction.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

holy cow Mike.....your moving right along!   the rigging looks super...stabilizer and rudder looks sweet!   your making me want to bring my Fokker out again.it's in the closet at the moment.......lot of sanding and shaping the leading and trailing surfaces of the wings,  as well as the fuselage.  :)    it's nothing like what your doing though.......really nice work there!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I must admit to being in a bit of a dilemma now. I know what you mean Boyd but I was only going to cover half the plane like I did with the Sopwith. All the insides would show from one side and likewise for the wings.

What do others think because I can't make up my mind ?

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

The magazines for the guns, the oil and fuel tanks are installed. The fuel tank was huge struggle as in order to fit it I had to file away quite two quite big areas on the underside to accommodate the legs on the firewall mount. I got there in the end. The firewall is held on by four 0.5mm bolts theoretically with nuts on. There is no way on this planet I could get the nuts on so I just had to cheat and glue them. They would be very hard to see anyway.

Basically the fuselage is now done except for 'wood' panels to go on the sides - they are made of metal but have to be disguised as wood. This depends on whether I cover half or not which is where I need your help viewers !

Otherwise the next stage is to start on the lower wing. 

DSCN1563.JPG

DSCN1564.JPG

DSCN1565.JPG

DSCN1566.JPG

DSCN1567.JPG

DSCN1568.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

54 minutes ago, Mike Dowling said:

What do others think because I can't make up my mind ?

That shouldn't be a problem, just do two of them. One covered and one not covered. :)

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

That's one idea but the bank manager won't like it.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

26 minutes ago, Mike Dowling said:

That's one idea but the bank manager won't like it.

I know what you mean, I am surprised that I get away with what I do.

"Boys need there toys".

My vote is "not covered.

That is a lot of work to be covered forever.

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Now look folks, maybe you don't understand what I am trying to decide about, but, for those who haven't sen the Sopwith - this is what I mean.

DSCN1218.JPG

DSCN1215.JPG

DSCN1214.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery: