Fokker Dr 1 by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - Artesania Latina

The reason is that I painted the Sopwith in the livery of Arthur Brown who was credited with shooting down the Baron so Iwanted the Fokker to follow the story so to speak.

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

There has been a slight problem with the kit. The cowl that goes over the fuel tank etc sits a wee bit too high at the back. It fits fine at the front and I notice on the instructions photographs that the discrepancy is there as well so it's not my fault. As a result the machine guns also sit about 3mm too high so I have had to modify their mounts somewhat. It's taken me ages but I think they look ok now and won't look too noticeable. I should say that the guns themselves were an absolute beast to make up. Rolling brass is great fun and those cross hairs are so tiny they would break in a breath.

DSCN1583.JPG

DSCN1584.JPG

DSCN1585.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

So I stayed away a few days and you are close for the test flight.  Looking very nice Mike.  Them guns look really business wise. Nice work on it.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Upper wing ready to go on.

DSCN1598.JPG

DSCN1597.JPG

DSCN1596.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

The top wing is installed - what a fight that was trying to line up with the spars and glue them - it is covered, rigged and painted.

Next step is the undercarriage

DSCN1599.JPG

DSCN1600.JPG

DSCN1601.JPG

DSCN1602.JPG

DSCN1603.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Some advice please viewers.

The undercarriage on this plane was formed like a forth wing. On the model it is made of ribs like a wing and thin covered with very thin sheet metal.

In view of the fact that I am half covering this model should I have cover this as well or do it all as per the pictures on the box ?

DSCN1607.JPG

DSCN1606.JPG

DSCN1605.JPG

DSCN1604.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I'd leave the skin off altogether. Probably a bit late to drill some lightening holes?

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I view it as owner's choice.  I'd probably cover half of just to keep the theme.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes Danny, too late for holes.

As you can see I did decide on the half cover option in the end, as much as anything to keep the theme Mark.

DSCN1608.JPG

DSCN1609.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Looking good, Mike.  It'll be a bit of a handful to fly only half covered though. :P:P:P

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I suspect it already was a bear to fly, with the short wings and ailerons. Very nice work, Mike.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Well folks, another project bites the dust ! The Fokker is complete except for the stand. I am waiting for some acrylic glue to make it up with unless I decide to fly it from the ceiling as planned alongside the Sopwith.

Thank you all for watching, showing interest and all your comments. They make the build more fun for me.

Anyway, some pictures for you which hopefully you will enjoy.

DSCN1613.JPG

DSCN1614.JPG

DSCN1615.JPG

DSCN1616.JPG

DSCN1617.JPG

DSCN1618.JPG

DSCN1619.JPG

DSCN1620.JPG

DSCN1621.JPG

DSCN1622.JPG

DSCN1623.JPG

DSCN1624.JPG

DSCN1625.JPG

DSCN1626.JPG

DSCN1627.JPG

DSCN1628.JPG

DSCN1629.JPG

DSCN1630.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I,m just dissapointed u didn,t get it built any quicker !!!!!  I,m still fafhing about tryng to cut the hull for a Triton and it,s only the section ???  great work Mike ,i think u made the right decision to half cover it, it  certainly makes it interesting . i,m glad u did the log and think my next build will probably be a plane . Which begs the question what,s your next build . ship in a bottle maybe ???

Boyd.

I am so sorry Boyd that I was so slow !! No ship in a bottle for me. My next project is actually a plastic Bandai kit of a traction engine. I built it many years ago and gave it away but I really want to do it again as I remember it making up into a super model. After that I now have two more planes in my stash, the Albatross and the Curtiss Jenny, a Dennis fire engine and a London tram which again I have built before but very badly so I want to do it properly next time. so no boats for a while. 

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

splendid job Mike!   I would have voted for the half covered too.......sorry I lost track of the log :(    I did something different in regards to the covering too.  I built the Guillow's Spitfire MK1 a while back.  I knew that the smell of dope would send the admiral into a tizzie,  so I used a less oderfull approach.   a must is a good atomizer bottle.   after tussuing the model {I do it apart}  I spray it with a watery mix of white glue.....a couple of times,  allowing it to dry each time.  it will shrink up just as well,  as good as dope does.   with a real soft wide brush,  paint on another coat of thicker diluted white glue.   when that's dry......airbrush the paint.....I use flat enamels.   for the prep work on the frames and wings,  I use lacquer.....doesn't matter what sheen,  it's gonna soak into the wood anyway.  the finish comes out just as good.

5ad8dd52965c2_1.jpg.3a12c657a737b54e5891be916039f67f.jpg

5ad8dd6d8e628_3.jpg.88d5e281397351a35501e6d3ad40ab18.jpg

I haven't flown it yet.......my track record for rounded fuselages is not that good.  the best flight I ever got was from a Fokker D VIII :)   seriously nice work on your Fokker though.....really like the markings ;)   don't think I'd have the patience for one like yours.   congratz on a beautiful model  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A very commendable build, Mike. I like how it turned out ... half naked ;) you should let those two battle it out at the ceiling, you'll have some noise whilst building the next challenge

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

4 hours ago, cog said:

A very commendable build, Mike. I like how it turned out ... half naked ;) you should let those two battle it out at the ceiling, you'll have some noise whilst building the next challenge

Yeah but won't he have to duck the rounds that miss the target?  And admirals get upset about holes in the wall.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Super nice work on the Fokker,  Mike.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Congratulations on another fine build Mike! Thanks for sharing your journey with us - it has been most interesting to follow.

And finally ...........

on it's provided stand and appropriately, under the Sopwith Camel !!

(I still might fly it from the ceiling.)

DSCN1631.JPG

DSCN1632.JPG

DSCN1633.JPG

DSCN1634.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Looks rather grand ... although i would let the Dr 1 should fly too. Prop looks good!

It suddenly struck me ... Any reason why you left the left side of both plaines uncovered, and didn't alternate?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I don't know why, it just happened that way and I think you are right - another hole in the ceiling !!!

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

And finally, finally, I didn't like the stand much. It was too low and so now we have the dogfight from the ceiling !!

DSCN1635.JPG

DSCN1636.JPG

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Add some more banking, so they look like they're turning into each other. That would be a dogfight.;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild