New from Long Island, NY

Geoffrey

Hello from Long Island, NY. I have build many a plastic model in the past and most recently building a lot of paper card models (mostly space craft). I am looking forward to trying my hand at wooden ship modeling. I have purchased the Amati "Hannah Ship in a Bottle" to start with. I have made two ship's in bottles from scratch in my younger days. I have also purchased a model of an "Egyptian Transport" by Amati that I picked up at a local hobby shop (I will need to get a little better at wooden ship building before tackling that kit. Hoping to getting start soon and creating a build log.

Well, let me be the first of many members to welcome you to the club.:D  Like you, I started with plastic kits as did many of the other members, and was looking for something a little more challenging. We have a wealth of experience in our club, so if you need help with just about anything about modeling be free to ask as we would all be willing to help.:10_1_10:

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think you are the first modeller who does/did paper models. There are ships available from, I think, Shipyard. Iceberg web site lists paper model sources. With wood start small. I buy Model Expo because if I goof something up they will replace the parts as long as I have the model detail numbers.