Eight Sided Drainage Mill by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - scale 1:15 - Achtkante Poldermolen

Cut 4 pieces of tightly woven cotton for the sails. The sails will be hemmed by hand and tied to the vanes. I will also dye them with tea so they have a somewhat darker color. 

650303504_Achtkantigepldrmlnvanesails.thumb.jpg.5ebd006b3fa882ab636ffd770e318a2a.jpg

626107607_Achtkantigepldrmlnvanesailtohem.thumb.jpg.2f8d76142015a3a73450f161e00e2e3e.jpg

1153835918_Achtkantigepldrmlnvaneandsail.thumb.jpg.c26950a80bb2531edeae2d35e3e0e0a8.jpg

Few more things and then she is finished. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Will you put them on unfurled, or furled (rolled up), Marcus? You might want to copy the strech on the fabric by making the fabric of the outer bottom point longer and create the "tension" in the fabric if you show them unfurled ...

Love the way she's turning out

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Marcus,

those sailsare only used at ‘low wind’ conditios. Sometimes just two out of four are used (always on opposite vanes). At higher windspeed no sails are used to keep the mill at reasonable speed.

you might have the same speed problem when you put your mill outside with sails rigged.

(partially) furled seems to be an option

Jan

Thanks for all the likes and I am assuming that Sjors is still around. 

De stille genieter (The quiet enjoyer). Bad English, but an exact translation. 

Cog & Jan: I will do what you both suggested. I would like to attach them furled and when I need them unfurl only two (opposite ends). Also stretch the outer bottom point. 

Richard : I'll use dye instead.

Attempted to do the balancing with all the vanes attached to the tubes.

To keep the same tube with the same vane I had to create a color coded method. 

So first painted the bottom of the vane slats any of the these colors. Yellow, green, blue or red. 

666490066_Achtkantigepldrmlncolorcodedvanes.thumb.jpg.c9ba1e93aadd7a1602b37ce990f04976.jpg

I color coded the copper tubing as well. 

835011127_Achtkantigepldrmlncolorcodedtubes.thumb.jpg.ac9e8308c080965048c71e86a1cb7115.jpg

When I inserted the copper tubing in the roede, the wood cracked.

1914837198_Achtkantigepldrmlncrackedroede.thumb.jpg.7f1b28ccc0ff081580adfd767c028181.jpg

I initially drilled a slightly crooked hole in the roede and don't really want to redo the vane. So, I strengthen the area by wrapping it with rope and than coated it heavily with tight bond glue. Should work. 

Cut the sails and double folded the edges. Placed pins to keep it folded. 

1491230644_Achtkantigepldrmlnvanesandsails.thumb.jpg.58f05952f282f7f19ee7bf7d43392670.jpg

Almost completed mill. 

1786047372_Achtkantigepldrmlnalmostdone1.thumb.jpg.7fdee6068db687dff0c524f2e96e5576.jpg816565179_Achtkantigepldrmlnalmostdone2.thumb.jpg.4105cc4cc714e0fec0a9cb2dc7719db5.jpg

I did add a Dutch flag above the kruibalk. 1013265531_Achtkantigepldrmlnvoorbaard.thumb.jpg.b7b5d74c1567f8314ebf736b01500af7.jpg

Above is something called a "beard". This one is the voorbaard (front beard) and it has writing on it. I have plastic templates with letters. The kind you put a pencil in and follow the contour of the letter. Won't work on paint. Still thinking about a method of transferring the letters to my beard. 

Marcus 

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

42 minutes ago, cog said:

Marcus,

I expected the "schoren" and "staartbalk" to be longer, bringing the wheel closer to the ground ...

Cog. 

The mill sits on a turntable, the kind you have at the breakfast table and has all the add-ons for bread. This is so I can turn it at easy 

I'll take it off the turntable and put the mill on the table and see how high it is. I followed the plans for the lengths of all of them. 

Marcus 

19 hours ago, cog said:

For the non Dutch language followers, the following paragraphs will have many Dutch mill words. 

Cog, 

I measured the heights/lengths of the individual pieces such as the stijlen (funderings muur, raam of deur kist en rieten dak gedeelte), kuiprand en vloer en kap and all of them are a mm more than they should be. 

The wheel (wielspaak) at the bottom of the kruibalk kan be either close to the ground or higher up, like the above picture. When it is like that there is a small narrow step attached to it so the miller can get up there. 

I need to build a small step and attach it to the side of the kruibalk. If I don't do this the wielspaak looks out of place. 

Thanks for mentioning this to me. 

Overal I am pretty happy with how it turned out. On my next mill (yes, there is going to be another one), I would get tile glue with grout in it. Then it doesn't have to be so thick and I can work it better with a coarse brush. 

Marcus 

• 3 weeks later...

Almost done and pictures will follow. Still need to dye the sails and paint and install the step on the kruibalk. I've been putzing around not doing much. 

I spent Thanksgiving in the Netherlands at my mother's funeral (I just came back to the US). 

She was 90. Her brain was no longer working due to late stage Alzheimer, her body was still going strong. I am glad she is gone as it is no way to spend a productive life with Alzheimer, just staring at the wall and no communication whatsoever. (I am pragmatic in this)  

Marcus 

I'm sorry to read about the loss of your mother, Marcus. You are right, though: it is no way to live. We went through this journey with my mother-in-law a few years ago. It's hard on everyone.

I've learned quite a lot about poldermolen from your log. Thank you!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

1 hour ago, druxey said:

I'm sorry to read about the loss of your mother, Marcus. You are right, though: it is no way to live. We went through this journey with my mother-in-law a few years ago. It's hard on everyone.

I've learned quite a lot about poldermolen from your log. Thank you!

Alzheimer is rough. Several years back we had my wife's father live with us and we experienced first hand seeing someone you love deteriorate over the years until there is nothing their. 

I'm glad you enjoyed and learned something from the build. It was an education for me as well and still learning from it. Their are so many types of mills and I will continue to build others. Just don't know what to do with them all, put them all in the backyard? Now that would look strange. Their are many people living in the Chicago area from Dutch heritage and maybe sell the finished product to them. 

Marcus 

27 minutes ago, cog said:

My sincere condolences Marcus

Thank you, Carl

Marcus 

• 1 month later...

Finished the mill, except for the sails which I still need to dye dark brown. Once the weather is warm (several months from now) I will revisit this build with outside pictures. For now, here are some shots of the finished mill. 

211076989_Achtkantigepldrmln14.thumb.jpg.0e0835955041ee116c914b02b01f3c68.jpg

Crooked brick work.  Will be improved with me next mill. 

631152698_Achtkantigepldrmln02.thumb.jpg.54502d9c3fdbe9b7aff5a3a031bf4a72.jpg

1405437377_Achtkantigepldrmln16..thumb.jpg.ab94419e3dfcdd8dd8a16841c7ffe5a9.jpg

Shutters and window.  Another window with shutters on the opposite side. 

343873738_Achtkantigepldrmln06.thumb.jpg.c983b64f6010acaa15ff74d6cf8b4e7a.jpg

Door and step. There is another door and steps on the opposite side. 

23579287_Achtkantigepldrmln16.thumb.jpg.ba35d8b807be6c43085ea431d29b8232.jpg

Four small windows. The imitated gray thatch has some yellow ochre painted on to give it some contrast. 

124976280_Achtkantigepldrmln01.thumb.jpg.d596cac485e5ef9b246bbf73a0eeceff.jpg

1463896148_Achtkantigepldrmln03.thumb.jpg.d220001f9d81ee2f11a6e5740e1b7dc4.jpg

Wheel with rope.

77188266_Achtkantigepldrmln04.thumb.jpg.8a763e07ce27ffb559d7d96098371645.jpg

1828375184_Achtkantigepldrmln07.thumb.jpg.f1e816dfd574cb09f56b1a9c35923ed2.jpg

32539400_Achtkantigepldrmln08.thumb.jpg.d5c7d01c350e9c508dec57efc78feda9.jpg

The flag is painted with acrylic. I think it will deteriorate after the first rain. Need to make something with linnen. 

2052692715_Achtkantigepldrmln05.thumb.jpg.1281d76d9be598d7120229b0753f102f.jpg

The beard.

Letters were carved out and painted red. It says "Anno 1992" "Stichting Molens". Not all the text fitted on the 'beard'. Did not have a template for smaller letters. 

884628865_Achtkantigepldrmln10.thumb.jpg.12525a2fc22af1cf37da07149e1fae48.jpg

Color coded vanes. It is not visible, except if you look closely. It is coded so I know which vane goes where on the copper tubing. 

457819170_Achtkantigepldrmln09.thumb.jpg.6dfcafc2aafe0f3617c11cf56b6c1da7.jpg

1630712160_Achtkantigepldrmln13.thumb.jpg.7402aced8dbf3f2876c347b0def26ebf.jpg

Copper tubing without the vanes. 

924186874_Achtkantigepldrmln15.thumb.jpg.d30454e0a2f991e6f0e48b637dc40266.jpg

My nosey cat. 

2027635300_Achtkantigepldrmln12.thumb.jpg.29a428b3c7bbbbbe0bc7201d7caeb96f.jpg

825700281_Achtkantigepldrmln11.thumb.jpg.2b95983f40abd6f609d5643f030b0bd7.jpg

That completes the build. Thank you all for following, giving advice and uploading various beautiful pictures of the different mills the Netherlands has to offer 

Marcus 

Lovely work, Marcus.   This has been both fun and educational to follow.  Thanks for letting us look over your shoulder.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the likes. 

#cog. 

Besides the plans for this mill that you have, what other ones do you have? What is the difficulty level of them? You mentioned way back that you purchased from penterbak. 

Marcus 

Got 4 or five sets. They are not more or less difficult than this drainage mill. Got them through another site dhm besides that I've got a book on their construction and use with the accompanying plans unfortunately OOP. One of the sets is the 8kante poldermolen so you can still build another 3 ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

3 hours ago, cog said:

that I've got a book on their construction and use

Cog, 

What is the title of the book? 

Marcus 

Nice looking completed windmill, Marcus. Congratulations! Hope it weathers well. It was instructive to learn about the mechanism used to turn the mill.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

# Richard, Sjors and druxey, thank you for the compliments 

Marcus