Eight Sided Drainage Mill by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - scale 1:15 - Achtkante Poldermolen

35 minutes ago, cog said:

Nice progress Marcus. Will you be making curtains (red and white checkered) too?

No curtains, but then again maybe. 

Where am I going to get checkered cloth in that scale? 

Next time someone is going to suggest figures. Thought about that too. Someone looking through the window. But what scale? Make one from sculpey? 

I do have a question for you. 

Page 5 #18 the penanten. I know what they are but where do they go? On the inside or outside? Looks like on the outside BUT is this permanent or temporary? 

The little squares on the bottom of the diagram of the mill on page 1 are the kruipalen (sorry, it is in Dutch). 

# Piet. If I am correct, didn't t you do lights in one of your models? Where would you put them in the mill? Something to think about. 

I was thinking with a couple of little solar panels, then I don't have to drag an electric cord around. 

Welcome aboard, Canute.  

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Penanten, fit to the outside wall against each corner of the octagon. When you look at the drawing of the mill (cover), you can see them as those dark blocks at every corner. It is permanent, as they are part of the foundation.

Nope those aren't. The Kruipalen are poles stuck into the ground with which the head of the mill is rotated (Unfotunately in Dutch but have a look here)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Doll house curtains (1/12th scale), might be a source, as well as 1/16th figures or 1/12th. In either scale maybe a child's figure, were the scale difference may not be noticible.

On a side note I once owned a 17' sailboat and found an old ad for it. The boat looked much bigger in the add, with more people in the cockpit than it could ever hold in real life. It wasn't until you looked closely that you noticed that the occupents were all children, about 6 or 7 years old!

The penanten are indeed a part of the foundation (I was too slow to translate with google and I did not even know what penanten were
until now )

I found this : replacing the "kruipalen" on a mill

http://www.zoutelandeopfoto.nl/zoutelande-nieuws-fotoalbum/nggallery/galleries/vervangen-kruipalen-molen-2016

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Patrick,

great find, it shows that a lot of power can be transfered to the kruipalen..

For the English speakers:

"kruien" in this context is rotate the head of the mill so the sails can be set in an active or inactive position

"kruipalen" are the poles which are used to rotate, mostly a chain is slung around them and through a mechanical system with a wheel the rotation is done

Carl

# thibaultron: That is a good idea. Didnt even think of dollhouse stuff. 

# Backer & Cog, thanks for the definition and links. 

Windows, doors and shutters have been primed. I used the same exterior primer I used on my solar greenhouse 10 years ago and it is still standing. It seals the wood, mold and mildew resistant and inhibits rust (just what I need for wood :-) ). 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, win. dr. primed .jpg

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Painted the first coat with acrylics. Van Dyk green and the inside raw sienna which is a light brown. I opted for a lighter color instead of black. 

Due to the abundance of walnut in my possession, I made the shutters from that wood. Also,  it is 4 mm thick instead of 3 mm, which it calls for 

The mill will have a lot of hardwood incorporated. The plans call for plenty but I am doing more because I have lots (left overs from the woodworkers club). 

Marcus  

Achtkantige pdrmln, win. dr. painted .jpg

Yes, that's very nice work Marcus. I believe you have started something with your build. You have generated a lot of interest in these marvelous machines with some good information in the how these things work.  Some great links too, which is very much appreciated.

It so happens that I have a few drawings on the way from the Netherlands and may just join in building one to sit on my fishpond pump housing. I think a wip watermolen should  look real nice there and it'll cover that ugly black lid. Problem is though, that I have to remove it twice a week to clean the skimmer and filter. But that's a small price to pay for having something nice to look at, and typical Dutch.

To answer your question Marcus about the lights, no, I have not yet build a mill but a few lights in the VOC ship. My suggestion is to light every floor, assuming the miller lives in the mill. As you know many mills have a separate house next to the mill as their home, not the mill.  A solar panel should work nicely. You could also buy a low voltage garden light system, put the cabling in a plastic conduit and bury it.  Plug it in with a timer. You do need access to the lamps though because they don't last forever. Just a thought.

@ Jan, yes, that's the mill I visited in ter Haar, Drente. We were lucky finding the miller there and had a grand tour of the mill. We even bought a big bag of flour. Here is my pen and ink with ink dry-brush drawing of that very mill.  That's the one they transported from the fort in Boertange.  That fort now has a replica.

20180328_213214.thumb.jpg.d16583d3722366fdda35e1bb4d8eec48.jpg

the title is: Storm has past.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

# Piet, thanks for the info on lights and you are correct about the interest I have generated with the mill built.

We need a category on building windmills in the Scratch Building heading. Related to ship building would be a saw miill. The Dutch invented that to speed up ship building and they invented warehousing. Different tradesmen would make all the parts for building a ship and store it in the warehouse. Then when a contract was signed for a ship, the shipwright would go to the warehouse and pick up the pieces. Dutch ships were build in half the time compared to the Brits. (sorry, got off track) 

Excellent pen and ink drawing, such detail. 

# Jan, I think I will try that. It is cheap and readily available.

Most versions of windmills around here is the one I am building. You can always tell if a person of Dutch heritage lives in a house by the windmill in the front yard and kissing boy and girl statues in traditional Dutch clothing.  

Marcus 

Edited by flying_dutchman2
Add

3 minutes ago, flying_dutchman2 said:

I will try that. It is cheap and readily available.

It is written in the instructions you can use a brush with that type of "hairs" for the thatch ...

Carl

Happy is the miller who lives by himself

As the wheel goes round he's gaining in his wealth

one hand in the hopper and the other in the bag

as the wheel goes round he cries out GRAB !

Thats when you tickle the little kid you're singing the song too. Origin unknown. My father in law sang it to his daughter and we sang it to our kids and grandson

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Thanks Carl. Nice and rough. 

Thanks reklein, that made me :)

Painted the shutters by hand. Not exactly straight lines but then it does not have to be.

Colors: Van Dyk green, titanium white and dark cadmium red.

As long as the vanes are perfect otherwise they won't turn properly. The directions say that this is the most important thing about building a mill. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln shutters .jpg

Add

Now them's some super nice looking shutters Marcus.

Yeah, we had a pair in ceramic painted in Delft blue but unfortunately the girl was dropped and broke in many small pieces. All we have left is the little boy. Gwen is going to buy a replacement pair.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

5 hours ago, amateur said:

Ah well, vanes.

That is why mine is gathering dust over twenty odd years now

Jan, Yours is evidently not the all weather type ... looks pretty smar though!

Carl

1 hour ago, amateur said:

Never had an idea of how to tacklethe problem of thr curvature of the vanes at this scale

I would think by using a mold, so it can dry in the propper shape

P.s. Any native English speaker: I thought it's the sails of the mill, not the vaines ... please correcty me if I'm wrong

Carl

7 hours ago, cog said:

P.s. Any native English speaker: I thought it's the sails of the mill, not the vaines ... please correcty me if I'm wrong

# Cog: In de van Dale (dictionary)  

wiek (de) 0.1 [molenwiek]  sail, vane -> wing, sweep. 

wiekslag: 0.1 wing-beat / -stroke. 

I copied exactly out of the dictionary. 

# Jan, nice windmill.

Marcus 

Thank you, druxey

This will not be known to many, but not all mills use cloth on all sails, some use wood instead. I know the one in Voorst on the Enkweg has it and the one in Klarenbeek, Molenweg - both near to where I live. Two other mills, just 6 miles further, which are almost identical, do not. It is not as one might expect period or region dependent.

A clear view of the construction:

wooden_vaines.jpg.1a0f36108fc1e4903e0196525e04921e.jpg

an example of a mill's body prepared for thatch

molen_met_rietlatten.jpg.530c9c8a5c0b0a20fe7abd5e5b9ba3f2.jpg

( © unknown )

Edited by cog

Carl

Cog, those are some cool pictures, thank you. 

This thread is becoming very interesting with various pictures of different windmills and the parts that make one. 

I appreciate all the input from everyone. I learn something every time 

Again, thanks. 

Marcus :)

Since I am not going to get the maritime plywood this weekend (Easter weekend) I made the hooks and eyelets so shutters can go on the window frames. I used 1 mm thick brass wire. The shutter design look so Dutch. :)

The doors have little knobs on them. 

Also been going through my stash of hardwood picking out pieces for the various parts of the cap. So many odd sizes needed. The cap has about 20 pieces total 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, win. dr, shtrs.jpg

Add

Very interesting article here about the windmill at Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia:

http://www.history.org/foundation/journal/autumn02/windmill.cfm

Some great videos of the same mill here with an article about its restoration:

http://www.dailypress.com/features/history/dp-nws-cw-windmill-update-20160215-story.html

Cheers -

John

Thanks for showing it John. Brings back memories of the few I was lucky to visit.

Yes, Marcus, your shutters and doors do look really Dutch, nicely done.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

As Carl pointa out: not all mills used the old fashioned slats for the sails.

especially just before the second world war, when electic and diesel engines became more affordable, quite a lot of experimenting took place to invrease the efficiency of the existing mills. So, a number of types were made, all trying to have higher efficiency, and easier handlijg : rigging a vain with cloth takes quite some time in an old fashioned setup, the one shown by Carl, it takes around 10 minutes. (And there is no need dor the miller to climb all the vanes one by one.

however, new technology was expensive, so quite a lot of mills did not make the transition, or only partially.

more common was to remove the vanes, remove the movable roof, and replace it by a diesel engine in the shed. Quite a lot of mills were demolished, or lead their life as an amputated vane-less brick stump, quite often as part of a larger production facility. 

As an example: twice the same mill, in the fifties, and now:

IMG_0459.thumb.JPG.9e78f4b422783ff05ce4b819dbd199f1.JPGIMG_0460.JPG.0e7d50244a3bd7e5254482a5d2127399.JPG

Jan

This mill is going to be made of lots of different wood. This coming weekend I am purchasing the marine plywood.  regular plywood, square and round dowels, copper & aluminum tubing, other metal items, outdoor glue, tile glue for the thatch. I have glued some of the templates on the various pieces of wood. 

For the kruipalen (English ?)  which are thick wooden pieces I am using maple pen blank pieces. Person at the woodworkers club does pen turning and he gave me box full of them. They are 1" x 1" x 6". Just right. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln parts.jpg

Cut out all the pieces in the above picture and found some more wood (ash, redwood and oak) for more pieces. 

Put together the wheel which is made from plywood for the ring, walnut for the spokes  and maple for some smaller parts. This will all be primed and painted. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, wheel 2.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, wheel 1.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln parts to saw 2.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln parts cut out 1.jpg