Eight Sided Drainage Mill by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - scale 1:15 - Achtkante Poldermolen

Great progress Marcus and a nice looking wheel.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Wheel is completed. Needs to be primed and painted. The disk in the middle willi cadmium dark red, the spokes green, the ends which are the handles will be white. 

The steps have been glued together. Them primed and painted black. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, wiel.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, trap 1.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, trap 2.jpg

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Hollandse molen, wow! Reminds me of a small snuffmill model I made some time ago. Used drawings from the old kit by Authentic Shipmodels Amsterdam and built it completely from alder. Found the original kit in Amsterdam 40 years ago. It is a "werkend" model - all wheels are running! The scale is 1 : 50.

Have a lovely weekend!

4 hours ago, andante said:

Hollandse molen, wow! Reminds me of a small snuffmill model I made some time ago. Used drawings from the old kit by Authentic Shipmodels Amsterdam and built it completely from alder. Found the original kit in Amsterdam 40 years ago. It is a "werkend" model - all wheels are running! The scale is 1 : 50.

Have a lovely weekend!

I remember that one. I still have the catalog it is advertised in. Always wanted to get that. 

Alder is a good species of wood to make it with. 

Laid out the main pieces of wood on the drawing for the cap (walnut, redwood, poplar, maple & cherry) . For 'cog', that would be number 22 through 28.

So many parts go in to the cap. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, 22-28 layout. .jpg

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Went to several big box stores to get supplies. Plywood and dowels in various thicknesses and sizes, copper tubing, tile glue and exterior glue, box of wood screws and at the same time got wood for the display case for the Utrecht. 

Monday I'll start the main structure and go from there. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln supplies .jpg

Love your true-to original approach. Construction of a windmill cap may be complicated. Not surprising that " a brandy bottle was often used to lighten the heavy labour. When the cap was put on the mill, a special treat - brandy with sugar and nutmeg - was served" (from instructions for snuffmill model). Noticed that some windmill plans in 1:15 are mentioned also on Penterbak´s netsite.

http://www.penterbak.nl

I wonder if you have seen the impressive VideoDrone clip on Vimeo? Beautiful.

https://vimeo.com/64956881

4 hours ago, andante said:

http://www.penterbak.nl

I wonder if you have seen the impressive VideoDrone clip on Vimeo? Beautiful.

https://vimeo.com/64956881

I know the website of penterbak. 

That is a cool video of windmills. Looks like a drone was used to get the images at different heights. 

Thank you andante. 

Marcus 

Today couldn't do anything outside because it snowed, yup, 2 inches. All my crocus flowers were covered. Then it got to be 45F and it all melted in less than a hour. 

So I took the 1/2" and 1/4" maritime plywood in the basement shop and glued the templates on them. The 3/4" marine plywood is 4' x 4' which is too big to carry around and will be used the next few days when it gets warmer. Other templates were glued on 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm walnut and oak. 

The 1/2" - 2' by 4' regular plywood is to be used to make a large template for the vanes (wieken). I bought extra as that project needs to be accurate. 

Marcus  

Achtkantige pdrmln parts 4.jpg

Started to cut out the parts outside with a jig saw. This is for the 1/2" & 3/4" marine plywood. Anything thinner will be with the scrollsaw. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, parts 5.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, parts 6.jpg

Cut out all the parts that are needed to get a good start building the mill. Tomorrow I need to do some sanding before I glue and screw the large pieces together. 

The picture with all the smaller pieces are for the cap. 

I did do a dry run as the picture shows. The two long pieces are screwed into the bottom plate. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, parts 7.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, parts 8.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, stijlen, dry run .jpg

Sanded all the upright struts. The picture is the measuring of the top. It needs to be level before I start building it up. I took all struts of and cut some of the edges off with the scrollsaw. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, stijlen recht .jpg

Glued and screwed (2" long) to the bottom and top plate. Also glued the cap floor and the side together. 

I got the straightest 3/4" x 4' x 4' marine plywood but once sawn and sanded, three pieces still warped a bit and two pieces cracked when I put the screw in and all holes were pre-drilled. So I filled everything with the Tightbond glue. 

I was surprised that when it was all put together and put it on the garage floor it was level. 

Next I need to draw a line down the middle lengthwise for all the struts and file them in an angle so sides will fit. 

Marcus  

Achtkantige pdrmln, installing struts.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, struts installed .jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, skeleton .jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, kuipvloer en rand .jpg

Nice work Marcus

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

10 hours ago, Backer said:

Nice work Marcus

Thanks Backer. It is coming along. Most of the pieces have been cut out and sanded. It is just a matter of following the instructions with putting it all together. 

Marcus 

Sanded the skeleton. First drew a line down the middle lengthwise on the outside of the strut, then sanding straight. Took a sheet of 50 grain sandpaper, wrapped it around a piece of wood and then sand up and down. Used the belt sander for the top area which is narrow. 

Noticed that the space in between the struts are not all equal as some struts are slightly warped. I can use filler or redo some of the pieces and make them wider. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, sanding skeleton .jpg

Beginning to look like windmill Marcus. Nice progress.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

There is a Dutch windmillwright by the name Anton Sipman and wrote 2 Dutch books on windmills. 

Molenbouw: Het Staande Werk Van De Bovenkruiers 2002 (no English translation) and  Molen Wielen (Mill wheels) which is out of print. 

I am surprised that there aren't more books about windmills, the technical side of it. The workings of them, especially with the amount and types the Netherlands has. Or I am not looking in the correct place. 

I am going to put some type of lattice within the mill under the thatch area similar to the picture 'cog' uploaded, but less. 

Marcus 

You´re doing fine, Marcus. You will be cutting clapboards and tying thatch bundles on the roof sooner than you think.

Found a couple of interesting net sites you may have missed.

http://www.van-vliet.org/dempseywoodworking/dutchwindmill.shtml

https://www.360cities.net/search?utf8=&query=dutch+windmill

Edited by andante
Type error.

5 hours ago, andante said:

Thanks. The above website has plans, instructions on how to build, lots of pictures, and the type, amount and measurements of all the wood they use. 

I am going to download everything for my second windmill built 

Marcus 

Glued and nailed the foundation wall and the pieces that go above that wall to the frame.

I create a paste of sawdust and Titebond III wood glue and fill in the gaps between the two walls and where the sides come together. Once dry it is very hard, waterproof, and resists cracking and shrinking. I have made this paste for many outdoor projects. 

Once dry, I will dry fit the doors and windows. Remove them and paint a primer on the walls. Once done I will glue and nail the under layer for the fake thatch roof. 

I read on another site that a person uses an epoxy resin to water proof the outside. I have this from another model I made years ago and may use it. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, glue #6, 7a.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, glue & saw dust paste on #6.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, #6, 7a, paste in place .jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, drill holes for nails .jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, galvanized nails .jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, 6,7a,7b, 7c,8 installed .jpg

Started glueing in the 2 windows and 2 doors. Used the paste as well to cover some small openings. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, window installed .jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, raam en deur installed .jpg

The instructions say it gets painted, no brick. 

Glued the 4 small windows in the thatch areas (rietvelden). 

Laid the skeleton on the floor at an angle and glued and nailed the 8 thatch roofs on the skeleton. 

Put Titebond glue on both sides that come in contact with the frames. 

Put it on the frame and make sure that it is straight. 

Use clamps on one side and pre-drill pilot holes every 5cm in the thatch layer. 

Use small, long ribbed nails to attach it to the frame 

This is important. Start driving the nails from top to bottom. Left, right, left, right and so on. 

I made the mistake by doing one side first and then the other and the wood split in 2 places. Remedied that by pushing a square dowel under the crack and pasting it together. The dowel is nailed to the wall. Cracks I will cover with the tile glue. 

Let it dry overnight and then I will sand whatever needs it, fill cracks and see what needs to be fixed or added. Then prime the foundation walls and upper walls with 2 layers and also do the bottom plate (bodem plaat). 

Practice layering the tile glue on a piece of wood and imitate the thatch layer. 

Per instructions, the open areas between the bottom of the thatch layer and the top of the walls needs to be as is for aeration. I may glue or nail mosquito netting. I don't want any squatters occupying the mill. 

Working in this scale (1:15) sure is different compared to (1:48). Easier to cover up mistakes and no need to redo it. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, rietveld lijmen .jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, rietveld clamps .jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, nails .jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, rietveld installed .jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, sides 1 .jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, sides 2.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, sides 3.jpg

Nearly finished ... ;)

Nice drawing table in the rear. Wouldn't it have been more sturdy when you'd cut those parts from one piece of wood?

It just occured to me ... can you still get inside the mill, to switch lightbulbs e.a.?                     Of course, the door  ... ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...