Eight Sided Drainage Mill by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - scale 1:15 - Achtkante Poldermolen

Hi Carl,

The material sold is coconut-fiber, and I understood that Marcus didn't like that material. Although I don't understand why, because these near straight fibers are scale-wise much better than these plastic bristles....

The same material is also sold as nesting material for cage-birds. I guess it is cheaper when sold as nesting material compared to scale building material :)

@Marcus: using anything thicker than the coconut-fiber is hugely over scale, and will (my humble opinion) not do justice to your mill.

Real thatching is just dried reed, about one-and a half meter long, and not more than 4/5 mm thick. anything thicker than 0.5 mm will be overscale.  The fun is that in a well thatched roof, the individual reeds can't be seen, unless you are a a viewing distance of anything within a couple of meters. I therefore understand the suggestion of using a kind of paste-like material applied with a coarse brush, and paint it afterwards in the correct colour.

Jan

Edited by amateur

Piet mentioned using coconut, but what I remember is that it is rather curvy. The material you can order is nice and straight. Either brick and mortar stores or online shops should have this. So i will check in the US first. 

Worked on the cap today, dry fitted most of the pieces. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, dry fit cap 1.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, dry fit cap 2.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, dry fit cap 3.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, dry fit cap 4.jpg

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Jan, 

I will check out the fibers available on the market. I have not gone through all my options yet 

Marcus 

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

1 hour ago, cog said:

Nice work on the hood. It even starts to look like a mill :)

It does and building the hood is not that difficult. 

Marcus 

6 hours ago, druxey said:

As you are living in the U.S., perhaps you can find inspiration for thatching material at a Michael's store?

I plan to do that as well as hobby lobby and do an online search. 

Marcus 

That cap is looking pretty good Marcus.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

In between vacations I did work a bit on the cap. Instructions indicate that once all the pieces are glued together to weave metal wire to the outside of the frames. Then take cloth and cover it completely with glue and drape over the wire, covering the wire completely. After it has dried smear the paste over it. I am guessing that with this method one does not get the curves of the cap. 

I am doing this differently. I've added some more vertical frames and once dry, glue planks horizontal over the frames creating a lattice. Then use pieces of veneer (which I have so much of) and cover the lattice. The sides will have a nice ball like curve. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, strengthen the cap 1.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, glued 34-35 to peluw.jpg

Lattice is completed. Oak veneer cut to form will be used to cover the cap. Then a 2mm layer of tile glue and then gray paint. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, cap lattice 1.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, cap lattice 2.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, oak veneer .jpg

Will be catching a plane to Ireland in a few hours and then off to the Netherlands for my mothers 90th birthday and be back after memorial day to work on the axle and finishing up the hood. 

(2nd picture is sideways, sorry) 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, so far done .jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, so far done .jpg

Edited by flying_dutchman2
Spelling

Have a safe and uneventful flight and keep your seat belt tightened around your hips at all times.  Enjoy your visit with your mother.  90, wow, a ripe old age.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Marcus

I stumbled across your posting by accident but I am so glad I did.

I have been a big Dutch style windmill fan for years. I have had the opportunity to visit Zaanse Schans and seen many models on display in a few of the museums.

Being a mechanical engineer by trade I am most impressed by the engineering and skill needed to build and operate a wind mill.

I am also always impressed by the shear power they possess and the quietness of their operation. I wish the machinery I build today

could come close to this power/noise ratio.

I have built some models in plastic and a few kits in wood and have always wanted to scratch build one. I have a lot of plans in books and posters

but my skill level is not quite up to building an exact duplication of an actual working mill.

Can you tell me if and where I can get any plans like you are using?

Best regards

JMS

JMS. 

Glad you like the mill. 

www.penterbak.nl has plans and the one I am building as well. Unfortunately, the website and the plans are in Dutch. Don't know if you understand this. 

www.van-vliet.org  On the left side, click on Dutch Windmill. 

Check the rest of this thread because I think cog posted another website. 

Marcus 

Back from Europe. I stayed in Heerhugowaard, the Provence Noord Holland. My friend, his and my wife drove around and checked out lots of different types of windmills. It will help with building my mill. Also went to Enkhuizen to a museum which has the largest collection of ships in a bottle (more than 1000) in the world. Amazing. 

Worked on the tooth wheel which is located on the axle and a piece of wood that falls between the teeth. This prevents the vanes from turning in both directions. Only one direction is allowed. The tooth wheel is from hardwood, drilled a hole through it and also the axle. Put a long nail in it. This prevents the tooth wheel from turning on its own on the axle. 

Completed the axle with 2 brass flanges. One for the back and one for the front of the cap. The axle fits exactly in the drilled pieces of wood. 

(hope the above makes sense). 

Still have to drill holes in the axle head for the vanes (still need to find someone with a drill press). 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, tandwiel en pai 1.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, as, pal, messing .jpg

Johnny

This is the page for drawings, although an English flag is shown, translation is missing, so don't bother to click it, for it will send you to another page.

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Worked on the cap. Covered most of it with oak veneer (left over). The part that is not covered is the break wheel. I can do that once the axle is in. Still need to drill the holes in the axle head (askop). 

Also thinking of options of with what to cover the lower sides (where the doors and windows are). Just painting it green or installing horizontal slats with overlapping each other and then painting it green. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, cap, veneer 1.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, cap, veneer 2.jpg

19 minutes ago, cog said:

You could make it resemble stones ... the bottom part

You mean brick. I wonder how that is done with waterproof in mind. Make little bricks and color the glue tan? Let me think about this. 

I like the idea. 

One of the previous pictures shows wood slats and while I was in the Netherlands I saw lots of that. 

Marcus 

Mark Taylor, MTAYLOR, did some brick work for his Licorne build, check his log Marcus. I forget what he used but it looked great.

Marcus, look at the flexible block walls on the Walthers site: https://www.walthers.com/search/page/2?q=stone+wall

They have many scales, including G scale, which is the outdoor/garden railroad scale. Take a look.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

@Jack, 

I'll take a look on Mark's build. 

I started making a template for bricks out of wood and pressed in sculpey in the rectangular holes. Took the wood apart and have little clay bricks that need to be baked. 

Have to figure out how much clay I need and how many bricks I need to make. Also, I need to paint them red because green looks funky. 

This is a weatherproof method. 

@Canute, 

Thanks for the suggestion. I have used that in the past when I had my HO Marklin trains and as far as I know it isn't weatherproof. 

Marcus 

I read in a Philadelphia build that used sculpey terracotta and Liquidtex modeling paste. To make the paste darker the builder added walnut stain. 

I will be seeing Kurt in the upcoming club meeting and he has an article on how to make the bricks. 

I already put in $200.00 into the mill, so if it is going to be a lot more money just for the bricks I will stick to wood slats. 

Marcus