Eight Sided Drainage Mill by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - scale 1:15 - Achtkante Poldermolen

Marcus,

I used some plastic sheets for model railroads. Probably too small for what you're doing.    What size would the bricks have to be?  Maybe something from a toy shop like the old building bricks they used to sell.  Not Legos but I don't remember the name.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I googled 'how to make scale bricks' and came upon this site. 

http://theminiaturespage.com/workbench/682648

It shows you a simple method of creating bricks with available materials that you can buy from home depot and other do it yourself stores. Around $25.20.

Researched it some more, and this is what I am going to do 

Purchasing model bricks online is a costly undertaking. With the above materials I can make about 1000. Which is what I will need. 

Question for the Dutch members. 

I went to this site and what is the best type I need and then convert to the scale of 1:15 (metric). 

https//nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_baksteenformaten

My problem with building anything, is the scale. 

Marcus 

Edited by flying_dutchman2
Add

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Marcus,

I'm living in a 1920 build house, lots of mills even predate this one, the stone's facia is height 2" (5cm) width 8 3/8" (21cm) those are not present day standard sizes. When I look at the list that coincides. So It just depends on where you place you mill geographically ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

After spending some time on the internet looking at pictures of windmills I have decided what I am going to do. 

The majority of mills have a white foundation wall. This is painted. The walls where the doors and windows are have horizontal wooden slats, painted green. 

I still want to purchase the materials for bricks because I have created a template with 72 rectangles, 20mm x 10mm x 6mm

Marcus 

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Made a template for the horizontal slats. Cut two pieces of wood in a step form. Steps are 8mm wide and 2mm high. Slats will overlap 2mm.

Cut 4" x 24" x 1/8" pieces of basswood into strips 1cm wide by 24" long and then cut each strip into 3 equal lengths.

First panel of slats is finished. 

Attempted to make a template for the bricks from acrylic. Drew in all the rectangles on it. Drilled a hole in each rectangle. Used the scroll saw to cut the first rectangle.. The piece did not come out of the template as the heat of the blade melted the acrylic. Even tried the slowest speed. Should have known this. 

Redid the template for the bricks from hardwood. 

Marcus IMG_20180612_113742.thumb.jpg.9a9fe12155c305a843e5c4a0024dd41e.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, temp. for slats 2.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, temp. for slats 3.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, panel of slats .jpg

Continued making the horizontal slat panels and also made the template for the vanes. This took some time as it has to be exact 

Marcus 5b215f9b35821_Achtkantigepdrmlntemp.forvanes.thumb.jpg.4020ba3906eef0d3f913dec309340ed1.jpg

A lot of thought you are putting into this project Marcus and sifting through all the helpful hints. So far your plan makes a lot of sense.  I'm sure that your windmill will come very close to the real thing, in miniature.  I hope I can do as well with my planned wipwatermolen.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

@ Piet, thank you for the wonderful and encouraging complement. 

@ The rest. Thanks for all the likes  

Building the mill has been a whole different ballgame. It is a challenge at every step. 

Marcus 

Piet and Cog Check this out. 

http://www.notechmagazine.com/2009/10/scale-models-of-traditional-dutch-windmills.html

The rest of this site has pictures and other links. 

https://archive.org/details/windmillsandwin00powegoog

https://archive.org/details/TheoretischEnPractischMolenboek

Marcus 

Edited by flying_dutchman2
Add

I have the original for the six and eight sided windmills including the drawings, costed me a few Euros but worth it's while.

Some mill related news

Last week on the Dutch telly the Earl of Dikes (lit. trans., i.e. the person responsible for the maintenance and level of water & water related systems in a province) in the province of Noord-Holland (North Holland) got offered the use of the remaining wind driven watermills to move the water when the modern pumping stations cannot handle all the surplus due to the current climate changes. We have more water to disperse annually, both from an increase in rain, as from the increased river levels from abroad - most likely due to the same. FYI. This year we had some "minor" flooding (compared to elsewhere) as the quantity of water to disperse in a limited time increased drastically. To avoid flooding, water is pumped to special reserved places which are meant to be flooded, like what we call "Uiterwaarden" the land between the river and the dike, sometimes there are two dikes, which implies the water will be stored in between. These last decades government has appointed certain regions to be made available for flooding. However, you still need the system to be able to cope with the quantity "offered", hence the windmills

Carl

9 hours ago, cog said:

I have the original for the six and eight sided windmills including the drawings, costed me a few Euros but worth it's while.

From the notech magazine? If so, I would like to get this as well. If it is not that link, which one and is there contact information?

Marcus 

No, I bought the book through a Dutch ebay type a site ...

I mean this one: “Theoretisch en practisch molenboek: voor ingenieurs, aannemers, molenaars en andere bouwkundigen“, G. Krook, 1850.

click the link, select the full screen button (the four arrows pointing to corners) and then you geet a button with PDF/ePub download

Carl

Finished 8 horizontal slat panels. 

The structure has been moved from the basement back to the garage as I need to sand with the belt sander the areas where the panels will be installed and the foundation walls where I will install the bricks. 

I have been reading the instructions for building the vanes and there are some parts that I don't understand. Will ask about it when I get to it. This is for cog, as he has the instructions as well. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, horiz. slat panels .jpg

15 minutes ago, flying_dutchman2 said:

This is for cog, as he has the instructions as well. 

So I'll be prepared ... I presume ...

You are ready for a clinker built boat Marcus, looks very good, dark green ...

Edited by cog

Carl

1 hour ago, cog said:

You are ready for a clinker built boat Marcus, looks very good, dark green ...

Clinker built windmill. Now that is a good definition. 😁

Marcus 

Thanks Marcus for the links, I have downloaded them and will study the mills at my pleasure when I have the time.

Your "klinker" build wall panels came out really nice. Leave it up to Carl to come up with an astute idea, very clever. :)  Would that be lapstrake in English by chance? The longer I don't speak or read Dutch the more I have trouble remembering words :(  Sad, but true.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

14 hours ago, Piet said:

The longer I don't speak or read Dutch the more I have trouble remembering words :(  Sad, but true.

Cheers

I had that problem as well, so I got a subscription on the NRC (very good Dutch newspaper) and my best friends wife has a subscription on Quest (Dutch monthly like Discovery). When she is finished reading a few she mails them to me. In return I mail them my monthlies which are Wierd, Pacific Standard and the Atlantic. 

Marcus 

15 hours ago, Piet said:

Would that be lapstrake in English by chance?

In American homes it is referred to as "clapboard" siding, Piet.  Judging from Marcus' photos, I would say it is clapboard.  On boats I think it is lapstrake as you say.

5 hours ago, amateur said:

'Potdekselen' 

I like that definition 😁😁

Marcus 

Today was dry and used a cutting wheel with the Dremel to make ridges and cuts in the paste to make it look like thatch. 

Used the sander to even out the foundation wall and the walls where the clinker slats will be installed. Pictures will follow 

Marcus 

Good luck Marcus with your Dremel exercise, sure hope it works for you.

Potdekselen, and "they" say English is a strange language - well perhaps American English is.  Clapboard and lapstrake I understand, I can even pronounce clapboard with a Down-east accent ;)  What does a lid on a pot have to do clapboarding - really strange :rolleyes: now I am totally cornfused, thanks Jan for messing with my poor old brain :o  Okay, I'll have to add that word in Gwen's Dutch-English dictionary, learn something every day.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Installed 2 clinker panels on the mill. The holes for the galvanized small nails are pre-drilled. No glue was used. 

The corners of the wall were the  edges of the panels are will get a square dowel, which will be tapered at the top. It is a solution. 

Because some walls are off be a mm or 2, I can't install the edges of the panels together. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, clinker wall.jpg

It's nice to see that there are still kits/models available from 'Authentic Models', as that company went out off business a long time ago.

They used to have a store in the Bloemstraat, Amsterdam. That was a really great store. Lots of finished models, accessories, carvings and lots of kits. Still have one of their last catalogs. 

I have to start perusing eBay more often. 

Marcus 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished all the clinker panels and nailed them to the mill. Calked in between the panals, on the corners with a combo of glue mixed with saw dust. 

Found someone with a drill press so I can do the axle head. 

The cap is pretty much covered with veneer. It will get a layer of tile glue and a coating of paint. 

Marcus 5b43c43735983_Achtkantigepdrmlncappanels.thumb.jpg.3f19da8849acee4526ea8bcc4b76025d.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, panels 1.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, panels 2.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, cap 1.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, cap 2.jpg

Achtkantige pdrmln, cap 3.jpg

Painted all surfaces of the mill with primer for exterior. Next is to go to hobby lobby to get some more van Dyk green to touch up the windows and doors and purchase another green, either lighter or darker for the clinker panels. 

Purchase a quart of gray to imitate the thatch. I will use yellow ochre here and there to get som contrast. 

Use my neighbors drill press for the axle holes. 

Install that in the cap. Close the cap and put a layer of tile glue on it. Paint that and once that is all done start on the most difficult part of the mill, the vanes. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pdrmln, primer on all surfaces .jpg

Hi Marcus,

I follow your mill for a long time now on the back ground.

I really enjoy it.

You have a great help from a few Dutch so you don't need mine :)

I only want to tell you something.

Maybe you know this but we where living for a long time in Schiedam.

But do you know that there are the highest windmills in the world ?

In the early days they where more then 30 windmills around the town.

Those days there are only 6 mills left.

De Freedom ( Vrijheid)

The Camel ( De Kameel)

De Wale ( de Walvisch ) Who was on fire on 14 februari 1996 and restored

The Three corn flowers ( De drie Koornbloemen)

The North ( De Noord)

The Palmtree ( De Palmboom)

Sjors