Eight Sided Drainage Mill by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - scale 1:15 - Achtkante Poldermolen

Wood used on the vanes. 

Long piece that holds it together (Roede) is poplar. 

Piece on top of the roede and the windbord is cherry. 

Horizontal (heklatten) and vertical (zoomlatten) slats are purpleheart. 

Someone at the woodclub gave me a big tube full of it. So I thought that it would be a perfect fit as it is strong and dark in color. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Vanes (wieken) completed. 

1651458282_Achtkantigepldrmlnvanescompleted.thumb.jpg.416206eda28033f281592e67a702c4aa.jpg

Marcus 

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Bought some more supplies to finish the mill. 

Menards: 1 quart of Cliff gray Max Bond exterior paint. This is to imitate the thatch. 

Hobby Lobby: More acrylic paints. Orange, Grass green, Black, Titanium white and Crimson

For the bricks that will be glued to the foundation wall. 

AMACO 10 lbs Air Dry clay ($11.00), terra cotta color. 

Made a template of poplar with 56 rectangular holes 3/4" by 1/4" by 1/4". 

1745440368_Achtkantigepldrmlnbrickmaking.thumb.jpg.21622d19aea5f944dafec1ca70d2a2a0.jpg

Took pieces of clay and press in the molds, making sure that the corners are filled in. 

535418142_Achtkantigepldrmlnpressclayintemplate.thumb.jpg.28585a831b3cbcf938547235e4d9a8c4.jpg

Once all clay is in the molds, scrape off excess clay on both sides. 

780788727_Achtkantigepldrmlnscrapingoffexcess.thumb.jpg.649d26e896f13cffcabf89d5680f8fbf.jpg

The mold is filled with clay. 

230218318_Achtkantigepldrmlnbricksmade.thumb.jpg.b029796472fe9861b4c88abacba4f7ce.jpg

Use a scrap piece of wood that is the same size as the mold and gently push out the clay bricks (looks like little loafs of bread) . 

531479554_Achtkantigepldrmlnbricksdrying.thumb.jpg.a90a84d5beaa6ceed83fcfdf51ed5e29.jpg

SO far it seems to work. Once dry I can always sand the edges. Not all of them are the same size.

This process can be applied to any size bricks. I opted out of the method that uses tile grout and fortified as I had previously mentioned in this build. This method is cheaper, no mixing of material and works just the same. 

I don't know how long it takes to air dry but I assume it has to do with the temp. and humidity of the location. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pldrmln, 56 bricks, batch 1.jpg

3 hours ago, flying_dutchman2 said:

I don't know how long it takes to air dry but I assume it has to do with the temp. and humidity of the location. 

You are right, there. Take into account that for the inside to dry completely it takes a bit longer (at your size certainly an hour ;) ). However, since, I presume, you won't bake your bricks, you can buildwithout the need to wait for them to dry throughout. Bricks used to be molded, and dried in the mold, when outwardly dry, demolded and stacked to dry further for baking. The process has changed considerably since the industrial revolution

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

17 minutes ago, cog said:

You are right, there. Take into account that for the inside to dry completely it takes a bit longer (at your size certainly an hour ;) ). However, since, I presume, you won't bake your bricks. 

I am letting them dry overnight. Baking? At what temp. and how long, is it better than air drying? 

I went to the website of this product and can't find anything on baking this type of clay 

I will paint it a darker red and use lacquer on it to protect it from the weather 

Marcus 

bricks are baked to make them durable - weather resistant - however, your regular oven won't do. don't fret, your solution works too. you might want to use a satin or matt water resistant varnish. glossy lacquer ... not so mill like ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

1 hour ago, cog said:

you might want to use a satin or matt water resistant varnish. glossy lacquer ... not so mill like ...

My plan was matt lacquer. The varnish idea sounds like a good idea as well. 

Any of the shiny paints that are on the mill get a coat of Dull coat. 

Marcus 

Bricks were completely dry and several had there edges sanded off. Most of them are similar in shape. I stacked them to make a wall and a few are off, so those I won't use. 

Took about 2-1/2 hours to make around 200 bricks, this is excluding drying. 

677652905_Achtkantigepldrmlnready-to-usebricks.thumb.jpg.7e453c0677813d33a46efdaf242a120c.jpg

After looking at many mill pictures on the Net and in a mill booklet I have decided how to paint the vanes. I am using the colors from the instructions and may improvise a bit.

Started on the first coat vanes. The roede is black on all sides, the windbord is chromium oxide green on both sides, the vertical slats (zoomlatten) are Titanium white on the front and the horizontal slats (heklatten) are chromium oxide green on the front.

1343118262_Achtkantigepldrmlnvanefront.thumb.jpg.820f3de70ddf4a135737c58cfe73cdd1.jpg

Lots of mills don't have paint on the back and sides of the horizontal and vertical slats.

571789786_Achtkantigepldrmlnvaneback.thumb.jpg.991405c73eb5540ad4d09555e6350a4e.jpg

I think I mentioned the reason already. The Miller doesn't paint the slats so he can climb on the vanes to check for broken areas. 

Marcus 

Achtkantige pldrmln, painting vanes .jpg

3 hours ago, amateur said:

Are those 200 enough, or will there be a second batch?

jan

There will be many more. My guess is 200-250 for one side. I have 8 sides. Under 2000 should be enough. The clay cost $11.00 for 10 lbs which is 4.5 kilo. Pretty cheap. 

When the mill is completed it will be heavy so a strong wind should not be a problem. 

Marcus 

Made another batch of bricks this AM, around 330. I dry stacked bricks on the foundation template and it is not 200 but 80-100 depending on an extra layer. 

721915010_Achtkantigepldrmln330bricks.thumb.jpg.f7c16b28ef9fde02f34a0baee7b7b81b.jpg

Off to painting another coat on the vanes 

Marcus 

Started working on the triangular piece (kruiwerk) opposite of the vanes which is the back. Measured the strips that were needed and put a coat of primer on them.

113972079_Achtkantigepldrmlnkruiwerk.thumb.jpg.ad51174c10ce434f1f0c4b2931953eb2.jpg

The second coat of paint has been applied and the mill is starting to look good. 

1432943191_Achtkantigepldrmlnwieken.thumb.jpg.6211b92a22a1f74e8616ed71fd80118d.jpg

While the gray paint was still wet, added a bit of yellow ochre and brown to it and with a brush, brushed downward strokes. Need to do some areas again. Then I will add a picture here. 

At the woodclub yesterday someone mentioned a site that sells high quality silicone molds for bricks, pavers, blocks, etc. Should have known, I would have purchased the brick mold. Some of my bricks are a bit uneven. The molds eliminate that. My bricks will have that 'old look'. 

Site is called hirstarts.com

They send international as well. 

Marcus 

Finished painting the vanes. All I need to do is balance them and once that is completed, drill a hole through the red part and the copper tubing and put a nail through it so the vanes stay in place. 

1936458587_Achtkantigepldrmlnwiekenvanes.thumb.jpg.08d17d15699e8a2f01ae5f1f97bec59a.jpg

Close up of the axle head. The piece of paper with numbers is that when I take the vanes off I put them back where they were initially. 

26628547_Achtkantigepldrmlnaskopvanes.thumb.jpg.60fdc62e60c0fdf21b65481a33d9e739.jpg

These are penanten. The are located on the corners at the bottom of the mill. 

1682161638_Achtkantigepldrmlnpenanten.thumb.jpg.92cdb239b6d7bc2fbeda6a820ea55f4b.jpg

These are called the kruipalen. These stakes are located in the garden. That big triangular piece (kruibalk), the bottom of it corresponds with the stakes that are on the ground. 

611486867_Achtkantigepldrmlnkruipalen.thumb.jpg.ce6a2476088cf8532ab9f0034ad28672.jpg

Questions for Jan. 

What are the kruipalen for? 

Is it to let people know that this is a danger zone? 

What are the penanten for ? 

Is this made of concrete and holds the mill in place? 

Still need to do the bricks, put and place the triangular piece permanently put the cap and mill together with a bolt and nut and some more painting. 

Marcus 

THe pennants, I dont know, the kruipalen are vital in the turning of the mill to the wind (or out of the wind)

attached to the mill is the kruiwerk: some very heavy beams that are fixed to the kap. At the bottom of the kruiwerk, is an axle wich a large wheel. 

Attached to that axle is a rope (or chain, doesn't matter too much, as long as it is strong enough). To turn the mill to the wind, one end of the rope is fixed to one of the kruipalen, and then the miller starts turnong that large wheel, so the rope is wou d up on that axle. This turns the mill. 

So these kruipalen are important, and they are rather heavy, relatively long poles, driven i to the ground.

Jan

# Jan and Cog, thank you both for the information and Jan for the video. 

So once you have moved the kruibalk with the kruiwiel you leave the rope that is attached to the kruiwiel tied to the kruipaal so the cap and the vanes do not move 

Must be a heavy rope or chain to keep it steady. 

Took the vanes and the cap of the mill and turned it upside down. Installed the first layer of bricks. As glue I am using the same material that I used to make the thatch. I think it will look good. Bit uneven but that gives it character. 😀

Marcus 

Achtkantige pldrmln, 1st row bricks .jpg

No. No need to have a very strong rope, as soos as the mill faces the wind, there are almost no forces that will turn it

als, when turned put of the wind, the wind is blowimg sideways or from behind, again not very strong forces.

but there is indeed a chain to prevent turning. (Some mills have the safety system

sewhere inside in the head.)

jan

Working on the brick wall. Ran out of the little bit of tile glue I had left over so now I am using flooring adhesive. Works well. More liquidity so it goes in all the empty spaces. I apply it with a syringe. 

1810994530_Achtkantigepldrmlnbricksglue.thumb.jpg.28d93ed6870f46b1fde2817f2cda7466.jpg

1801848550_Achtkantigepldrmlnaddglue.thumb.jpg.26229d09c4364508894be6334961db75.jpg

40838865_Achtkantigepldrmlnglueonshortsideofbrick.thumb.jpg.12f13ece9aabf9efbb27741b4f01ded8.jpg

45244971_Achtkantigepldrmln2layerbricks.thumb.jpg.125d498c5cc626952ac233633b16146c.jpg

Layers of bricks. 

I know I am going to run out of bricks so I'll have to make more. 

Once the foundation wall is finished I will let it dry for a week. 

Then I will add a combo of tight bond glue and clay dust to fill in the large crevices, then lightly sand some of the edges to give it a more even look. 

Because the clay is a bit brittle, I will use a primer and paint it crimson red which looks like brick red and finalizing with several coats of lacquer. 

Hopefully with all these layers of material it will hold out in the weather. 

Marcus 

Ran out of bricks, need to make another 150.

This is what the wall looks like. Very uneven, but I will sand it. 

1730887413_Achtkantigepldrmlnbricks.thumb.jpg.4d86929b2370c57830ba86adc0b42f83.jpg

Marcus 

Made another batch of bricks and installed the two bottom layers. Let it dry for a couple of days. Then I will sand the bricks somewhat even. 

The red blocks on the corners are called pananten. They are usually made of concrete and are there to keep the foundation walls in place. 

1246048775_Achtkantigepldrmlnpenantenbricksfinished.thumb.jpg.70cd86c83fd25aa2c06c68ab5dd06d2d.jpg

Finished painting the triangular piece (kruiwerk). At the end of the long slender sticks there are light red caps (klapmutsen). Jan or Cog might know what they are for. 

872560429_Achtkantigepldrmlnkruiwerk..thumb.jpg.461126fccee94bab8ff156d23b6a15e2.jpg

Once bricks are sanded and painted I will also add a coat of Dullcoat to all the shiny paint. 

Still need to make the hooks that will be placed in the window frames which are for the shutters. 

Also need to add a flag, a vangstok (long stick painted in red, white and blue stripes, when the stick is down the mill is operational and up, it is not or the other way around) and a few other things. 

Than put it all together and balance the vanes. 

Marcus 

After filling in the gaps from the bricks with a glue /sawdust paste and let it dry overnight, I put primer on them. This primer dries in 2 hours. 

292032674_Achtkantigepldrmlnprimedbricks.thumb.jpg.5c6497730d00edeaccc8f5e8c1faa031.jpg

Installed the triangular piece (kruiwerk). Put the cap on two crates and screwed the big piece (kruibalk) in place. Nailed the slender pieces (korte en lange schoor) into the designated area (lange en korte spruit). 

Attached the slender pieces to the big piece of wood by first gluing them together, then drill a hole through it and hammering a small metal rod into it. Couldn't use a screw or nail. Let it dry. 

1856331414_Achtkantigepldrmlnkruiwerkpin.thumb.jpg.4200853653a8121223f32722db99c3fa.jpg

780181993_Achtkantigepldrmlnkruiwerkdone.thumb.jpg.ea562a4696efeab421dc20b19bd689d1.jpg

Painted the first coat of crimson on the bricks. This will dry dark red. 

1238117435_Achtkantigepldrmln1stcoatcrimson.thumb.jpg.f37c8cec15910c9ac2e22d81ba437b63.jpg

Marcus 

Touched up the bricks and the clinker wall. 

13796491_Achtkantigepldrmlnpaintdone.thumb.jpg.4436dd3ad07e8d6861bc38d74860bf03.jpg

Added a second coat of various colors on top and on the bottom of the cap.

245006897_Achtkantigepldrmlncapbottom.thumb.jpg.ea0c6527cba7be00dfff8db7e95568ab.jpg

The cobalt blue is called heaven (het hemeltje). 

1137080142_Achtkantigepldrmlnhemeltje.thumb.jpg.4c6b53363e41783aa05b69e3840f007d.jpg

Cut out the front and back beards (voor en achter baard). The front will be located on cap under the vanes. There is lettering on that such as the year it was established and a name. The back one is also located on the cap behind the triangular piece (kruiwerk). 

710245461_Achtkantigepldrmlnbaarden.thumb.jpg.081ef2a08741928e82c72c18fc37d744.jpg

Marcus 

On a different note, anybody hear from Piet lately? Did a hurricane pass through his town?

Marcus 

Installed the various ropes.

The vangstok which is painted in the colors of red, white and blue their is a rope at the end. 

At the downwards position means that the vanes are moving. 

1989697263_Achtkantigepldrmlnvangstoklow.thumb.jpg.8d20b445cd9ea8998b5286c7bb21a4c5.jpg

In the up position means that the mill stopt turning. 

984358123_Achtkantigepldrmlnvangstokup.thumb.jpg.d561ddedb4b939140bd3383a50f9a77d.jpg

Adding a flag mast with a Dutch flag. The flag is a leftover from the Utrecht. Going to see how it holds up to the outside.

Working on attaching the window shutters to the window frames and addind the steps at the bottom of the door frame. 

Marcus 

Installed the shutters and still need to make a hook so they stay open 

1373099009_Achtkantigepldrmlnwindowandshutter.thumb.jpg.318705150944680235150adc468a21fd.jpg

There are two steps and here is one of them. 

415352879_Achtkantigepldrmlndoorandstep.thumb.jpg.a98fa69b3f3446899f93a3ad38df4212.jpg

Marcus