I see the NRG Ship Modeler’s Shop Notes for sale in the NRG store.  Any of you have this?  Do you recommend as a general MOP for model ship building or recommend something else?   The picture seems to indicate it doesn't contain a lot of pages though, but I can't really tell for sure.

shop-notes-I_png_opt250x201o0,0s250x201.png

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Each of the Shop Note books are a bit over 200 pages.  The binding allows it to lay flat if you are using it for reference at the bench.  Each book contains Shop Notes that have been published in the Journal.  The original SN has content from the start of the Journal up to 1980.  SN 2 content is from Journals published from 1981 - 2005.  

I will let others give their opinions on the usefulness of these books - all I will say is I have both in my shop and find them very useful.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I have both volumes and of the two I prefer Volume I as much of the information contained is from years before I became a NRG member.  Some of the information in Volume I is somewhat dated.  For example I doubt that many readers will need to know how to mix Japan pigments.  On the other hand, it also includes some real gems like complete frame patterns to build one of Harold Hahn’s New England schooners.

Roger

• 2 years later...
On 3/24/2018 at 7:48 PM, kurtvd19 said:

The binding allows it to lay flat if you are using it for reference at the bench. 

I bought a copy of SMSN in the 1990s. The pages were bound by a plastic holder that passes through rectangular holes along the left edges of the pages. The holes on some of the pages were cut too close to the edge (probably done by hand) and those pages are held by only a few holes (see below). Has the binding of newer copies been improved? 

20210301_083100.jpg

Brett D.

We went to a wire spiral binding sometime about 2008 for Shop Notes.   Shop Notes 2 first printed in 2008 has always used wire spiral binding.

SHOP NOTES.jpg

SHOP NOTES II.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

On 3/24/2018 at 5:48 PM, kurtvd19 said:

Each book contains Shop Notes that have been published in the Journal.  The original SN has content from the start of the Journal up to 1980.  SN 2 content is from Journals published from 1981 - 2005.  

Sounds like it's time for Shop Notes 3 !

Excellent books! Among the very best for, well... for shop notes. There's more to learn from them than anything else I've ever seen in one place. The spiral binding was an excellent move. My copy of #1 was the original paperback binding and it's become a "loose leaf" collection over time. I suppose I should have it re-bound with a plastic comb binding, as pictured above. I used to work in an office where we had one of the machines for doing that, but that was long ago. Office Depot, Staples, and FedEx Office do it.

• 6 months later...
On 3/26/2018 at 6:21 PM, Roger Pellett said:

For example I doubt that many readers will need to know how to mix Japan pigments.

With the way real oil-based enamels are going the way of the dodo birds, mixing our own paint and colors from tubed artists' oils is going to become a valuable skill for those looking for a really fine finish.