Byrnes saw sled

Thought that I would post a picture of the Byrnes saw sled that I purchased from Jim and Donna as I haven’t seen it shown elsewhere on the site.

As with any of the Byrnes equipment, it is beautifully made of aluminum and the slot riders are made from plastic and a very nice fit into my saw.

You do have to remove your fence to use the sled, but that’s only a few seconds work and two screws to remove.

ben

AF499E57-C560-4A13-ADFD-71369BBC3367.jpeg

Jim Byrnes products are the best. I'll buy one in a minute when I have the $$$. A basic one can be made

(not as good or with so many features) very easily..... 

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Ben,

Many thanks for posting this....was not aware that it is available.  Just ordered one!

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit

Guys, I am a newcomer to the use of table saws, though I do have the Byrnes saw.  How is the saw sled used? What does it add to the basic saw?  I have seen many references to using a table saw to cut mortices, tenons, and even rabbets. Is there a reference to or tutorial of these uses?

Walt Haynes

Thanks for the heads-up Ben - wasn’t aware this was available. Just ordered one! :)

I ordered mine a couple of days ago. I was just going to look into making one but I would much rather have Jim's. His quality is second to none.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Walt,

A sliding table, or sled has several uses on a table saw, you can find many videos and pictures on woodworking sites to see some of these uses, but for me the big ones are repeatable and square cuts, repeatable length cuts using the fence stop and it adds another layer of safety if you use it correctly.

Ben

I was just telling someone the other day who was building miniature display tables that he needed to look at Byrnes' tools.  I went to Jim's site to copy the link, and happened to see the sled on his website  - I plan on placing an order this week!  His tools are incredible and well worth it if you can swing the price.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Ben,

I too didn't know it was available. Gonna get one now. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

1 hour ago, NWSailor said:

I also ordered one this afternoon, Jim is going to be busy.

Bill

Yes he is. I'm glad for him. It's good to see a small business do well.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Would someone who has this already be kind enough to tell me the thickness of the base plate? I have the 17" version of the saw so the sliding table would fit without having to remove the fence. But the question is whether any long stock laid on the table would clear the fence, which is about 9/64" high (without the extended fence).

Thanks -

John

Certainly looks the business like all Jims products. I had the Tilt table on my shopping list but not sure now as Id probably get more use out of the sled. Shame it doesn't incorporate a tilt into the sled but might have a look at that myself when I can afford the freight. Thanks for the Heads Up. Cheers Pete

• 3 weeks later...

I got my sliding table last week. The little plastic-topped screws for the depth stop really annoyed me - too hard to grab and start in the holes. So I went to the hardware store and got some brass 6-32 machine screws and knurled brass nuts. I glued the nuts to the screws with a bit of medium CA. I find these way easier to use.

Cheers -

John

nuts.jpg

I thought I'd make one other suggestion that, in retrospect, makes me feel dumb that I didn't think of it immediately. You don't always need that depth stop part. I mean the little hangy-down part on the right. I had gotten into the habit of removing it and laying the piece of metal and the screw down on the bench. Doubtless, everyone elses' workbenches are neat and tidy at all times, but mine quickly becomes a disaster zone while I'm working. So small parts like that can often get moved out of sight or separated from each other by the gremlins who live in my shop. The simple and obvious solution is to simply turn the part around and hang it down on the back side of the fence. Like I say, I feel dumb that it didn't occur to me to do that until yesterday, but maybe it's something that hasn't occurred to someone else yet either. (Not saying you're dumb! :) )

Cheers -

John