Black wire for eye bolts/rings

Thanks aviaamator. Neat looking eyes and rings. I’m using same method for creating rings but I’m committing to using bare copper now then blacked after. 

Thanks Greg. All good advice. I think your right about the silver soldering of the rings being a bit overkill but it’s a new skill I need to master so will do a few more that way until I get confident or bored, whichever happens sooner. 

On 26/04/2018 at 4:05 AM, dvm27 said:

I can't imagine why you would need to solder the breeching rings unless your cannon was actually going to fire!

Hmmm... where can I get some 2mm cannon balls :pirate41:

Anyway thanks to all of you for your great comments. I’ve put it all into practice now and here is what I came up with.

IMG_3039.thumb.JPG.4e7c8c2af4acb95b232de302b61db166.JPG

IMG_3034.thumb.JPG.603892c03e968ba47183c5e29fea0184.JPG

My Blackening routine was:
1 Clean in hot soapy water with an old toothbrush and rinse in water
2 Soak in White Vinegar for 10 minutes and rinse in water
3 Soak in neat Birchwood Casey Brass Black (BCBB) for about 30 secs and rinse in water
4 Clean any CA residue patches (not blacked) with Acetone
5 Polish with paper towel
6 repeat previous steps from 3 until satisfied (3 or 4 times I found for me)

I didn’t get a true black finish but I’m reasonable happy with the dark grey that I got. Also I only handled the items with tweezers during the blacking process.

Thanks all again. 

2mm cannon balls can be obtained on eBay.  Type in 2mm steel ball bearings. I was able to blacken mine but you could paint with dull (metal) black from Admiralty Paints. 

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

18 hours ago, hornet said:

2mm cannon balls can be obtained on eBay.  Type in 2mm steel ball bearings. I was able to blacken mine but you could paint with dull (metal) black from Admiralty Paints. 

I was trying to be humorous but still handy to know for the future, thank you. 

• 5 months later...