HMCS Snowberry by CKNavy – Revell of Germany – 1:144 - PLASTIC

I have always wanted to build HMCS Snowberry and learn about it's history along the way. I found this version of the ship, it is made by Revell Germany and was created in 2016. From what I can see it is pretty accurate and comes with a lot of detail in the scale. I have found that you can purchase three different sheets of photo etch (PE) for this model but they are fairly expensive. From what I can see the detail with out the PE is still very good, for this reason I'm going to do a out of box build.

As soon as I have some progress to show I will be posting an update.

I hope everyone enjoys following along with my build

Thanks,

CK 

20180130_211718.jpg

While the port and starboard sections of the hull fit together very nice, a lot of work had to go into the mounting of the stern section. This piece was glued on after the two side sections where assembled. Gluing was not the issue, the issue was the amount of filler and sanding that I had to put into it to hide the seems. Now that it is complete I'm quite happy with how it turned out. A little effort can go along way. One little mishap that I encountered was after gluing the side frames together I noticed that I had missed a small step in the instructions. I forgot to install the pin so the prop can be attached (see attached picture). To fix this I had to pull apart the already glued sections, install the pin and re-apply the glue. All in all it was fairly painless but had I not forgotten the pin I would have been that much further ahead. Overall the sections went together without issue and little filler. I'm going to leave the painting of the hull for now and I'm currently working on the assembly of the aft deck fittings. I will include this in the next update. Cheers - CKNavy

20180402_172322.jpg

20180402_172303 - Copy.jpg

20180402_172341 - Copy.jpg

20180402_172350 - Copy.jpg

20180402_172400 - Copy.jpg

20180402_172419.jpg

Prop Pin Snipit.JPG

looks real good so far CK, I look forward to following your progress.  

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

9 hours ago, RGL said:

I’ve always seen this kit as a massive opportunity to try nearly every weathering technique there is as its soo big! I’m in. RGL

Absolutely! only the kit I have is 1/144 scale total length is 43.9cm(17inches). The 1/72 scale version of this ship is the large one.

Cheers,

Craig

• 4 months later...

I have both kits.  The 1/72 scale kit is the old Matchbox kit, full of inaccuracies and weak or overdone detail- a product of its era. It is also big, with a spacious hull, and makes a fine sailing RC model.  

The 1/144 scale kit is half the size and more than twice as nice.  It is an example of the great, affordable work that Revell Germany has been doing in the last few years.  

Edited by Rcboater Bill
Fix typos

In progress:  

BlueJacket Lobster Smack 1/8 scale (RC)

1/96 Revenue Cutter Harriet Lane RC scratchbuild

completed:  

1/144 scale USS Guadalcanal CVE-60 RC scratchbuild

Revell 1/305 USCG 327’ Secretary class cutter

Dumas 1/16 scale USCG Motor Lifeboat 36500 (RC)

Lindberg 1/95 USCG Lightship LV-112 “Nantucket” RC conversion

.....but you didn't install the rudder at the same time.   movable parts are nice,  but not a big draw for me.  they used to be back when the Lindberg line was in it's hey-day.  ;)    a pin could have bee added to the prop and installed at a later date {as it looks like your intending to do}.   I have never built this vessel........nor have I ever done the Blue Devil........both of these vessels seem to be quite popular in the modeling circuit of the past.  this will be an awesome project to follow along with.  I'm in  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• The title was changed to HMCS Snowberry by CKNavy – Revell of Germany – 1:144 - PLASTIC