HMS Fly by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Victory Models - Scale 1:64 - with upgrade kit

• 2 weeks later...

Masts are done -- now on to the yards.

Regards,

David

Masts Up.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

First yard done and mounted -- lower main yard.

I hadn't run into stunsail booms before, but really like the interest they add to the yards.

I know that some modelers pin the yards to the mast, but I'm always concerned that I will "prang" them during rigging with a random elbow or hand strike (and have done so many times), so I installed a pin on the back of the mast and "hung" the yard to that, which supports it but still allows for play in the yard.  This one is lashed to the mast, but the next one above it will be installed with parrel beads and ribs.

One yard down -- 9 more to go.

Regards,

David

Main Yard 3.jpg

Main Yard 2.jpg

Main Yard 1.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

I guess maybe 2-3 hours per day when I don't have a lot of my professional work to get to.  I spent more time yesterday on the main yard -- maybe 4 hours in all.

Each part is an engineering challenge for me.  I look at the drawings and think about how I'll build it, and part of that is the "what is the most efficient way?"

Here's the catch:  if you zoom way in on my woodworking, you'll see that it doesn't stand up to some of the really outstanding detail work I've seen here -- such as by Zappto, Vossy and AntonyUK.  I think it's fine, and looks good on the model for normal viewing -- but I just don't have the patience that I've seen some others apply -- and their results show it.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

12 hours ago, drobinson02199 said:

Here's the catch:  if you zoom way in on my woodworking, you'll see that it doesn't stand up to some of the really outstanding detail work I've seen here -- such as by Zappto, Vossy and AntonyUK.  I think it's fine, and looks good on the model for normal viewing -- but I just don't have the patience that I've seen some others apply -- and their results show it.

you have a far more elaborate and technical build than I have david

its more than fine my friend

its stunning!

cheers

chris

I have finished the 3 main mast yards and mounted them on the main mast, then stepped the mast to the boat.  Picture below.

When I started this kit, I wondered if the upgrade kit would prove worth it (other than the lifeboat kit it contains).  But there are three brass fittings in it that have proven to be really valuable:

• The deadeye fittings are upgraded and are more secure.
  • The footrope stanchions replace having to fabricate them out of thin wire, and are better looking than anything I could have created myself in the non-upgraded kit
  • The fittings for the stunsail booms again avoid having to fabricate two fittings per yard end (4 per yard) out of separate parts.

Regards,

David

Main Mast Yards.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

All the yards are now up.  I also mounted the driver boom and driver gaff, even though they don't have rigging support, because I think it would be much more difficult with the shrouds up.

A kit note:  not enough parrell beads supplied.  Fortunately, I had some left over from the Revenge.

Now on to shrouds -- which I'll be at for a while.

Regards,

David

Yards Up.jpg

Driver Boom & Gaff.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The shrouds will be the traditional black.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a bit since my last post, partly because I was away last week, but also because I have hit the shrouds and ratlines -- and you all know what that's like.  Never ends.

Here's my first stage of those -- the lower foremast shrouds and futtock shrouds.

Regards,

David

Fore Mast Lower Shrouds.jpg

Fore Mast Lower Futtock Shrouds.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Continuing to work on shrouds.  When I did the foremast shrouds, I followed the approach noted in the drawings (see below), which is certainly structurally sound and is probably how shrouds were "hung" off the mast on the real ship.

The issue I had was twofold:  alignment of the deadeyes when fixing the second deadeye in the loop, and more important, creating the proper alignment and spacing at the top.  I really had to struggle to get separation and not have the shrouds cross approaching the top of the lower foremast, and the alignment I had on the foremast was marginally OK, but not what I really wanted.

So for the main mast I went back to the approach I used on the Revenge, which is to rig the shrouds one at a time, fixing the alignment and tensioning at the top with CA gel.  I'm much happier with the results.  See below, including two pics with white paper behind the shrouds so the alignment up to the mast is easier to see.

Regards,

David

Drawing.jpg

Main Mast Shrouds 1.jpg

Main Mast Shrouds 2.jpg

Main Mast Shrouds 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Lower main mast shrouds and ratlines now done.

Regards,

David

Lower Main Shrouds & Ratlines.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted in a while, because I have been traveling and also busy with some business.  But this week I was able to do the mizzen lower shrouds and finish off the lower shrouds, futtock shrouds and ratlines, so here's a picture of that.

Regards,

David

Lower Shrouds Done.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 2 weeks later...

All shrouds are now up.   😂  I think I've been seeing ratlines in my sleep.

Now on to other rigging, in between some business trips coming up this week and next.

Regards,

David

All Shrouds Up.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Foremast crow's foot rigging is up.  As I was snipping the last loose piece of crow's foot, I managed to commit the ultimate rigging sin and snip the crow's foot too.    😫  All of the "feet" are one long continuous line.

So I spliced the last lead and saved it.  You can see the splice if you zoom in on the second picture and look at the leftmost "foot".  But it's hard to see with the naked eye, so all's well that ends well.

Regards,

David

Foremast Crow's Foot 1.jpg

Foremast Crow's Foot 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Looks great David.  I’m impressed not only with the build, but also how quickly you can progress at such a high level.  My Pegasus will be done by 2025 😳

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Now all 3 crows feet are up -- hard to see in this pic.

Regards,

David

3 Crows Feet Up.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

All the stays are now up.  Some run close to the mast and shrouds so you have to look for them.

Regards,

David

Fly Stays 1.jpg

Fly Stays 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Chris:

Thanks very much.  Yes, I do have the next build planned.  I'm going to do the Amati Titanic, which I have on the shelf waiting.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The yard lifts are now up, so from here on to the final stage of rigging, then mounting & done.

Regards,

David

Yard Lifts 1.jpg

Yard Lifts 2.jpg

Yard Lifts 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

FLY IS COMPLETED.

I finished the H.M.S. Fly today -- competed pics are in the Completed Kits Gallery.  Just a couple of samples here.

I wanted to see what the lifeboat from the upgrade would look like, so I built it and liked it, so installed it on the ship.  I made some mods to it, including using real wood planks down the side at the gunwales, vs. paint.

A couple of kit build notes from my most recent work:

1. I added some fine thread braces to the stays the crow's feet are attached to, to keep the crow's feet tight.  Important as the stays are pulled up by the rigging and need some counter-balance.
  2. I ran out of 3mm and 5mm blocks, and 3mm deadeyes.  Fortunately, I had leftovers (plenty) from the Amati Revenge kit, so I was OK, but a caution to other builders.  I didn't lose more than 2-3 of each on the floor.

Now a break from kit building while my wife and I go on a Greek Islands cruise.  When I return in late September, I'm going to tackle the Amati Titanic, and I'll create a detailed build log for that as I don't see much on this site.

Regards, and Happy Labor Day to the Americans,

David

Fly #1.jpg

Fly #6.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Very nicely done, David! It's an inspiration to those of us whose own partially-completed HMS Fly builds are gathering dust in a display cabinet. I'm not admitting that this something that I have actually done. Okay, yes -- yes I am. 🙄

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane