HMS Bounty by Auger - Constructo - 1:50

Been a looong time since I’ve posted here, but I thought I’d drop in and give an update on my build. I recently dusted her off, found a spot on the work bench and am continuing the build. It’s slow going, just a piece or two a night between diner and bed, but I’m starting to see the slow progress. Excuse the mess, we’ve recently moved and I haven’t arranged everything yet:

3DD511C3-7527-4C61-B002-0F19C6C7A03C.jpeg

BB859286-EF5D-4DC4-809F-BC4DFA7170E7.jpeg

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Current Builds: Constructo Bounty, AL King of the Mississippi

Up next: undetermined 

Hi Auger.

The model has travelled well and kept safe in the move.

That's a really nice build you got going there.

Awaiting your next progress log.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Yes, I’ve taken good care of it during these idle years. I’ve always kept it wrapped in foam sheets on a formed styrofoam base and strategically placed in the garage to avoid any damage. I’m happy to be continuing and look forward to finally finishing it.

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Little update, looking at these photos now, I need to bend that bell out just a tad, give it more of a hanging look.

F66D233E-EAA7-4FEB-9F3F-D2BC4F3A61E7.jpeg

CCE69C5F-A4DA-465C-BE6E-878FFA2BD0B9.jpeg

B37E6120-02F0-423F-9044-B89813FC80DC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

There. After a lot of carving and cutting, it looks a little better. Still not a great piece, but better. I still have some work to do on it.

8FE7209D-5CAC-49DE-84DE-5C14BB7DFD77.jpeg

Edited by Auger

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is this correct, or would the lashing not be there?

C9BF1978-CE17-4D38-8E92-0DD4258A6F80.jpeg

Also, what is the correct way to tie off this line to that cleat? I’m not certain of the knot to be used.

9F435042-A47F-4DA7-97D3-8B7D32A570FF.jpeg

Edited by Auger
Addition

Just some quick photos of where I’m at with my Bounty build. I’ve oiled the hull and started on some of the ground tackle. I apologize for the cluttered workspace. I’m confined to a 4’x2’ bench in a jail cell sized room in the corner of the basement. Wish I had something like the workrooms I’ve seen in some of the other build logs here. 

198BBA47-8951-413B-8FC3-8E8B1CF5E9B4.jpeg

70980CF6-C688-40BF-9F28-CAB4094AF443.jpeg

A4F816F5-ABBF-49C8-9569-4FEBED01758D.jpeg

A knot in memory of my step-father. He loved tying these things when we loaded the truck with alfalfa bales for the winter. I think only a trained eye would catch it. :) Just my little easter egg.

01DA4B07-CEF4-4E9F-BE22-400C25124EB3.jpeg

Edited by Auger
Text

• 4 weeks later...

Been working on the masts. I went ahead and built my own mastheads to make it look a little better than just a dowel; not totally done yet, still have a few parts to add. The “iron bands” on the masthead are thick cardstock paper which I also used to back the wood battens. Had to do that because the battens kept snapping when I was trying to file-in the slots for the bands. It was easier to cut the slots out of the paper backing.

60B5F758-6166-4A9B-894C-44A0A8E56250.jpeg

53DDC8B0-7CA7-43AB-B818-CC7F318FF82D.jpeg

Edited by Auger
Text

Hi all, I need some help.

Does this anchor look out of scale (excuse the tape)? The kit is 1:50 and the anchor is 1:64. Looks big to me but then again I looked at some photos of the Victory and her anchors are huge.

EA92B500-26BB-4853-8117-3EA753BAC8B6.jpeg

177EE5FE-573A-4FFC-8AA1-2EF7A36A4B42.jpeg

60E9359D-3B77-416C-8E0C-9AE6EB0DEBEF.jpeg

Edited by Auger
Text

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went ahead and changed out one of the anchors. Serving the brass ring took a while to do so the other anchor will have to wait for tomorrow night. I think it looks better than the little kit anchors I had on there before.

A38C9BAE-D39C-42C6-AA3B-871B0BD05262.jpeg

Alright, I was able to get the second anchor rigged up tonight and installed the stern lanterns that I’ve been working with on the side. Tomorrow I’ll see about getting those catheads rigged.

3DEFACEB-B44D-4D4D-B5A7-E3C15A5876A0.jpeg

65C96DC6-D824-478A-BEAF-31D8B08C0996.jpeg

Good grief. Ever have one of those nights where nothing goes right at all? I couldn’t even lash a block correctly tonight, the knot just kept tangling, twisting and coming out all wrong... I had to walk away.

Yep, I’ve had those nights before.  They are awful.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Things went better for me this evening, I was able to get the cat falls rigged. Guess I was just worn out last night and that’s why nothing was working out.

A1CEBD7C-92FF-4204-B04B-99E2347AF81C.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Mouse too big or is it acceptable? I've been cursing this thing pretty much all afternoon, it was pretty difficult to make.

Edit: After looking around a little, I think I'm going to have to revisit this piece.

20200821_174832.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I bought this built model from a junk sale and want to improve her. She is built and rigged but not painted.

I want to add copper sheathing to her hull and paint her. What size copper plates are you using and how are you making and adding them? I figured I may use aluminium foil and paint them copper...any advice from an expert is appreciated!

(my only previous experience is in building plastic kits as a youth, Revell's HMS Victory (1/225) and Golden Hind)

Emil

Emil

First, welcome to MSW.  When you have a moment, please post an introduction on the new member forum so we can get to know a little about you.

When you say "this model," are you talking about the Bounty at 1:50 scale?   Regarding the copper plating, most, if not all, of store-bought plating is out of scale and appear to have rivet bumps rather than nail indentations.  Making your own is probably the best way to get them right.  Not knowing for sure  your scale, the full size of the full plates on British ships was typically 48" by 15" and overlapped 1.5"   If your scale is 1:50 the plates would be 0.96" X  0.30" with an overlap of 0.03" .  The nails were 1/4" with 1/2" heads so if you feel you must show these dents (NOT bumps), they would be about 0.01" diameter at a scale of 1:50.   If you have not already done so, do a search here at MSW on copper sheathing as there has been a lot of discussion over the past month or so regarding the plate sizes, plate overlap, the nail patterns and spacing, etc.   You can buy copper self-sticking tape so you don't have to glue and paint aluminum foil.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 6 months later...