spare cordage to do the Victory rigging

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone that has done the Mamoli 1:90 victory and got to the end of the rigging and found they had enough string to complete the job?

The more I look at people's builds on here the more I think there isn't gonna be enough string in the kit to do the job...

The bag with the different sizes of string that came with my kit looks a little small to me.  I haven't opened the bag yet to have a really good look at the strings, but from memory there doesn't look like there will be enough.

My question is:

Where can I buy some spares from?

I would rather have more than enough and use the extra to tie some fancy knots with!!! than get halfway through and run out...

I live in the UK, but getting stuff posted from abroad is easy enough.

I eagerly await replies with hopefully some good news/tips/advice

Till then,

Kindest regards

Spider

Spider,

My best advice is to take all the string provided in the kit and throw it away. Then replace it all with quality scale rope from Syren Ship Model company:

https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/

Chuck’s rope is the best going. I used it nearly exclusively on my Victory (I’d already completed the Standing Rigging before Chuck started making and selling his).

Hi Grant,

Many thanks for your reply.  I had a quick look on Chuck's site, I love it.

I can see I am going to be a regular visitor, it is like an aladdins cave on there, I felt like a kid in a sweet shop.

Dont suppose you have an idea how much and what sizes I need for the victory do you?

I guess, without looking in my kit box (am at work at the mo so will have to check tomorrow), I need at least some black string and some tan as well.  It comes in 6m bundles.  I would rather have a bit too much than not enough.

Regards

Spider

Hi Spider.

Like Gjdale  and  Jim said Forget the string and the square bits of wood called blocks from the kit and replace them with chucks real rigging rope and blocks.

You will find it a Look much better to work with and the finished ship will look like a real scale model.

Yes it will add cost to the project but after all the time and love you put into building the Victory It's gotta be worth it.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Spider,

If you send me a PM with your email address (don’t post it here), I’ll send you a copy of my riggging spreadsheet(s) that I developed for Victory.

The other piece of advice I would offer is, if you haven’t already got it, then get yourself of copy of “Anatomy of Nelson’s Ships” by C. Nepean Longridge. This book is the “bible” for any Victory modeller and I found it invaluable - especially when it came to the rigging stage.

Grant, thank you for your kind reply, I already have Longridge's book, along with a few others, cant remember them all, they are packed away at mo due to house building work, just got 2 more on amazon though, 

Petersson, Lennarth

and 

Lees, James

they looked good and based on the reviews decided my bookshelf had a couple of spare slots!!!

Antony, again, thank you for your reply.
I was thinking of getting the blocks as well as the string from Chuck anyway.

I just need someone to give me a rough idea of how much string, what sizes etc.  I know I need black and probably the tan, but not sure yet, till i get down to the shed and dig out the original bag of string, and count the blocks that come with the kit.

any ideas?

kind regards

Spider

51 minutes ago, gjdale said:

Spider,

If you send me a PM with your email address (don’t post it here), I’ll send you a copy of my riggging spreadsheet(s) that I developed for Victory.

The other piece of advice I would offer is, if you haven’t already got it, then get yourself of copy of “Anatomy of Nelson’s Ships” by C. Nepean Longridge. This book is the “bible” for any Victory modeller and I found it invaluable - especially when it came to the rigging stage.

Hi again Grant,

to PM you is it the "Message" button next to the "Follow member" button on your profile page?

I obviously didn't think the "write a public message" box was where PMs should go.

Have updated my profile page, so at least it doesn't look like i dont have any interests!!!

Spider

Spider, 

Follow all above advice, no the line supplied by Mamoli is not near enough could use 10 times that. I was wasteful and used much more line than needed, For me it was much more comfortable and easier on the back, hands, and fingers when tying anything not to scrimp and try tying a clove hitch at the end of a ratline with 1/16 piece of line using magnifiers 2 tweezers and a handyman. cut more than you think you need. By the way In addition to other modelers, Grant was a huge help and took the time to answer a lot of my stupid questions. Whatever he says do! Upgrading the line and blocks is going to be very expensive but will make a huge difference in the appearance, wish I had but cost was a factor.

Edited by John Allen
addition

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

3 hours ago, spider999 said:

to PM you is it the "Message" button next to the "Follow member" button on your profile page?

I obviously didn't think the "write a public message" box was where PMs should go.

Yes, that’s correct Spider. I’m travelling for work at the moment, but will be home on Friday so can send it then for you.

23 hours ago, gjdale said:

Spider,

Hi again Grant,

Have updated my profile page, so at least it doesn't look like i dont have any interests!!!

Spider

Hi Grant, PM sent.

John,

Thank you for your reply.  Questions are never stupid, that is how you pass your knowledge on, by answering people's questions.  If we all knew everything about everything it would be a very boring place...

I am an ex- Able Seaman in the merchant navy, I know, once a sailor always a sailor, you cant get the salt water out your blood..

I am at my happiest tying fiddly little bits of string with or without tweezers, I could even give Gil a run for his money with tying them inside a matchbox............ behind my back with my eyes closed...........  no seriously I absolutely relish the thought of doing the rigging and am as tight as a duck's *** when it comes to wasting string.  If I can get  away with not having to cut any off after tying the knot them i am a happy bunny.

I was gonna measure the lengths of the different size ropes in the kit then get 3 times that amount from Chuck's site.

I am also gonna keep the little round blocks as they are decent enough for me, but replace the square wooden ones as they are not very good.

regards

Spider

Back again, 

pretty much got my shopping list together, based on what blocks came with the kit I think I should be ok with the following...

Blocks

175 x 4mm singles

50 x 4mm doubles

12 x 4mm triples

25 x 5mm singles

12 x 5mm triples

Ropes

0.45mm (0.018) tan rigging line 60 ft 18m

0.45mm (0.018) Black rigging line 40 ft 12m

0.88mm (0.035) tan rigging line 40 ft 12m

1.14mm (0.045) tan rigging line 20 ft 6m

Just need to get the Admiral of the fleet to break open the sea chest and issue me the dubloons!!!  lol

Edited by spider999