I am writing just to ask if anyone can help me finding the way to bring the drastic (Sharp( form to the stern of the Cutty Sark.  The planking is 2mm thick and 6mm wide thereby creating quite a challenge.  I know it would be best if you had a picture but possibly someone has experience enough to help.  What is the best way or manner to create this sharp and twisted bend?

Thank YOu

dgreen10

Do a search for Cutty Sark in the builds section.  You should get the build logs and you can see what others have done.   i'm not familiar with the model so searching is what I'd do.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Try following full size procedure. Steam the planks before trying to fit. Or soak in hot water.  You will need to practice on scrap or spare  2 x 6 pieces

until you get it right. Do not attempt on the model in the planks final location but build a jig to bend the plank around. you need to secure the plank until it

cools and dries (I usually leave it overnight). When you come to fix the plank in position you will find most of the bend remains and any final adjustment

is fairly easy.  If you have three hands it is pretty straight forward.  You also need good straight grained strip wood .

It took me several attempts to bend 2mm thick but I got there in the end.

Good luck!!

0014.JPG

Hi dgreen. If you haven’t read the tutorial from this forum on planking, I suggest you do.There are a few good ideas there. I use a ‘plank bender’ after soaking planks for 15 - 20 minutes in warm water. You can also use your hobby knife to cut slightly into the rear of the planks at close intervals (about 1mm apart) This makes bending without breaking easier and is not visible from the front. It is still best to soak the planks and use a plank bender as well. I pin the damp, planks to the frames and filler blocks until they dry (overnight) and they usually retain their bend. Never try to glue down damp planks as they tend to shrink when dried and gaps between planks result. Hope this helps

Steve

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/Plank_Bending.pdf

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

If you don't have a plank bender, use an old curling iron.   A note of caution... do not under any circumstances use the Admiral's (your wife or girlfriend's, significant other).  If they have an old one, buy them a new one and then procure the old one.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Another method would be to plane or sand the wood into much thinner planks which will bend much more readily.  Then soak or steam the planks to make them more pliable and bend enough layers of these thin planks to total the required final thickness around a form matching the shape required and clamp to dry.  When dry, laminate the layers with a thin layer of glue between and clamp the layers back on to the form and let dry.  This may be a bit involved but with this method you can bend planks into very tight bends and there will be very little if any spring-back. Once trimmed and sanded they should be very easy to apply.  :)

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

• 2 months later...