Generic Sharpie by DocBlake

#441.jpgThis will begin my log on the construction of the generic sharpie, based on the NRG plans by Bill Strachan and Al Saubermann.  The scale is 3/4" = 1".

I purchased the plans, and cut out the building board base out of 3/4" maple plywood.  It is purposely oversized.  Picture in the photo is construction template A1 which will be glued to the plywood base.  There is a blank for building jig 1 (BJ1) which will be ripped to 1-1/2" wide.

I've not decided as to whether i'll mill my own boxwood for the project or ask Crown to do it.  I've got a lot of things going on, so hiring it out may be best.  Here we go!

sharpie base.JPG

Edited by DocBlake

Hi Dave,

Great start. I have been eyeing this one for something different.  I will follow along with interest. 

On a separate note, I see that you have the Rattler planned for a future build.  I did this one several years ago using the Lauck Street Kit Bash.  If you are interested, I have  many insights on that one.  Overall, it was an excellent practicum, but there are some things I would do differently a second time around.

Looking forward to future posts.

Gary

The plan template is glued to the build board.  Building jig #1 had templates glued to the top and side after being ripped to width.  The next step is to cut out the slots where the 1/8" thick plywood station templates sit.  They will be used to define the chines and the keelson. Once cut out, the jig will be trimmed to length and carefully screwed to the build board.

plans.JPG

Dave:

You didn't waste any time in getting started - I only mailed you the plans 8 days ago!  It sure looks like it will be a nice project and I will be following with great interest.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

After removing the rip fence from my Byrnes saw, I set the carbide ripping blade to 1/4".  I then cut 11 notches wide enough to fit a thickness of 1/8" aircraft plywood.  Using the template on the plans, I carefully screwed Building Jig 1 to the main build board.  Next comes shaping the station templates.  These are 1/8" plywood bulkheads that fit in the grooves on the jig and have cutouts for the chines and keelson.  The bottom of the boat is then planked in this " up side down" position.Img_0782.thumb.jpg.1930511b790e85d910ef6a3e6b799e47.jpg

The eleven station templates were rubber cemented to 1/8" plywood blanks.  They'll be cut out and beveled according to the plans using the Byrnes saw, the scroll saw and the Byrnes sander. This is the most critical part of the build, so I plan to take my time!

stationtemplates.JPG

All the station templates were cut out, and the lines trued up with the Byrnes sander.  The chine notches and sides of the templates were beveled according to the plans.  The practicum explain how to bevel off the drawings themselves, but the plans list with bevel angles of each station template calculated by CAD.  I went with the CAD bevels!.  The next step is to temporarily set the templates in the jig and fine tune the notches so the side planking, chines and keelson fit properly.

Img_0119.jpg

IMG_0122.JPG

Edited by DocBlake

Preliminary testing to make sure everything lines up before fixing the station templates to the jig permanently.  Here I'm checking the fairness of the keelson notches.  Only one template needed a little shimming to bring it to fair.

IMG_0123.JPG

Are Bill and/or Al available for questions on this build?  I finished the first jig, but when comparing the chine locations from the centerline, based on the plans glued to the build board, I'm off on several.  This despite the fact the each station template in bottomed in it's slot and centered perfectly.  The keelson run appears right  on the money!  Hopefully I'll be able to tweak the notches when fitting the chines.   The orange arrow points to the square lined up with the outside edge of the chine.  The bottom of the square should be at the blue arrow.  It's actually at the green arrow.  As you can see, it's off a bit!

square.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

It's necessary to build the second jig (BJ2) before anything is added to the first.  This jig forms a "press" to establish the curve of the keelson, which, together with the chines receive the bottom planking on the first jig.  The structure is then transferred to BJ2 to complete the hull framing.  The photo shows the component parts.  To get congruent parts, the two and three layer pine parts are ganged together with doublesided carpet tape for cutout on the bandsaw and smoothing to the layout line on the oscillating spindle sander.

BJ2.JPG

Edited by DocBlake

The parts for the second jig (BJ2) were trimmed to length and the notches wher the parts rest on the base plates were formed using the dado set on my table saw.  The two shorter blocks are actually 3 parts ganged together using carpet tape.  The long part is two separate parts joined by tape.  The glue up will leave a slot for the centerboard.  Next:  gluing up the jig.

IMG_1012.JPG

The 10 individual parts that make up jig2 (BJ2) are glued up, and the centerline is drawn. The curved piece sitting behind the jig is the keelson press. The keelson in made of 3 pieces of swiss pear, soaked in water and then pressed into shape to define the curve needed.

Jig2.JPG

Edited by DocBlake

Hey Dave.  This is certainly a project like no other that I've seen.

I'll be following along with interest.  Your workmanship looks outstanding.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Joe:

Not to take anything away from Dave's fine work but the reason I like this project so much is that the plans provide the templates for the jigs - and they are on duplicate sheets so there  is no need to cut up or copy plan sheets.

I was able to inspect the 3 models Bill Strachan built during the development of this project at the Joint Clubs meeting in New London, CT on April 28 and they are proof that this is a neat project. 

I expect Dave's build will be fun for him - once the jigs are done - and I look forward to talking with Dave this coming weekend at the WI Maritime Museum's 42nd Annual Midwestern Model Ships and Boats Contest and Display.  http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/special-events/midwestern-model-ships-boats-contest-and-display/

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Dave, I just skimmed the monograph at the NRG webpage. That really looks like a fun project! I can’ t decide which version I liked better, weathered or unpainted. I always liked work boats. I just skimmed the pics, what are her final dimensions? I know you’re gonna enjoy this, I sure would.

Good luck with her!!

Kurt ( the other)

Edited by Kurt Johnson

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Thanks guys.  

Kurt:  Looking forward to chatting with you at Manitowoc.  I did enter my 1:32 POF Armed Virginia Sloop in the completion.

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10979-armed-virginia-sloop-patrick-henry-by-docblake-lauck-street-shipyards-scale-132-pof-admiralty-style/

Dave:

I have been the contest chairman at Manitowoc for 18 or 19 years and I will be quite busy BUT we will find time to talk.  Are you planning to go to the Friday evening get together with dinner at a neighboring restaurant and then back to the museum for ice cream and cookies?

I did up the participation certificates and the model display cards the other day and noted your entry  I can guarantee you will enjoy the weekend.

See you soon.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Had a great time in Manitowoc over the weekend!

A while back I made a plank soaker out a piece of 1" threaded PVC pipe, with a cap cemented on one end and a screw top on the other.  The keelson is made of 3 parts of 1/8" thick stock - I used swiss pear.  Two pieces are 3/16" wide, and the center piece is 1/8" wide. After soaking over night  I ganged the three side by side, secured with painter's tape and placed them in the press with weights to hold down the top piece.  The assembly will sit 24 hours to dry.

soaker.JPG

keelparts.JPG

keelpress.JPG

Edited by DocBlake

Thanks for all the "likes" guys!

The next step is to glue up the keelson blank out of the three parts I just finished bending.  The center timber had the centerboard slot removed based on the slot's location drawn on the side timbers.  The plans call for gluing the pieces together, then placing them in the press between two sheets of waxed paper.  Too much to go wrong there, so I reached for my trusty two-sided tape and laid tape down wider and longer than the blank would be.  After the first side timber was fixed on the tape, I glued the center and opposite side timber to each other.  I weighted the setup in the press and let it dry overnight.  This morning I scraped theblank with a single edged razor blade to remove any glue residue.  Now I'll shape the keelson to finished.  I've actually built my own gaff-rigged sloop in real life and this is just as much work!  That's the Admiral and I sailing her!

keelsonblank.JPG

Molly.jpg

Wonderful work on both!!!  I am sure the model will come out just as beautiful as your full size.  It looks like you had the perfect day for sailing in that photo. :)