Chuck

MANDATORY MUST READ
**Banned Kit Manufacturers on MSW - Pirated KITS Prohibited **

195 posts in this topic

Many of you may be aware that there are some kit manufacturers that have been banned from Model Ship World.  These are mostly Chinese companies that rip off and duplicate other kits from reputable manufacturers.  We dont want to support such thievery. I have personally been ripped off by ZHL.   They stole my Confederacy plans and actually include it in their kit.  Its an awful kit to boot!!

Please make note that no build logs from these MFGs will be allowed on Model Ship World

And we have allowed some other kits which were original, but made by these same crooked companies to remain....BUT NOT ANY LONGER. I know of two others but after the great crash of 2013 they are now gone.  ..from this point forward.....NO KITS BY THESE MFGs WILL EVER BE ALLOWED ON THIS SITE. Here is the list of crooked ship model MFGs banned from MSW

ZHL 
Snail Model 
JD Model 
LHQK 
ShiCheng 

woodenkit (Russian MFG)
YengFan 
Unicorn Model 
YQ 

CN

Chuck

Admin

Hi Chuck,

I'm trying to find your forum for the Syren but can't seem to on the site. No phone listed for the site so I'm hoping you can direct me. Thanks very much.

Lee

Aldaris likes this

Read the topic about it in the general discussion forum.

Chuck

Its good to have that list for novices who are looking to buy a kit.  Besides the fact that these kits are rip-offs, the list will protect novices from buying poor quality kits.

Longshot, mtaylor and Old Coastie like this

Thanks for the list. I support Model Ship World in there efforts to ban Pirated Model Ship Kits. In addition to Financial damage they do to to the Quality ship Model manufactures they provide a Model ship full of frustration for the modeler trying to build a quality model ship.   

mtaylor, avsjerome2003 and DMac like this

Kudos to anyone not buying Chinese kits.  As someone who was at the mercy of having to use Chinese parts to try to make a quality American made product, I support anybody who refuses to buy Chinese.  I worked for a company that manufactured small hydraulic units and due to owners' greed for more and more profit, was forced to use Chinese manufactured crap.  There was always better than a 25% rejection rate on those parts and a failure rate on finished hydraulic units that met or surpassed this, as no matter what part in the assemblies, there was that same 25%  bad parts ratio.

I've never heard of those kit manufacturers, and am surprised anyone would knock-off a ship model kit. There aren't huge volumes sold and that is usually the biggest incentive to copy existing products.

I've seen threads speculating on the ratio of ship model kits started vs. the number of ship model kits actually finished as very many started, but very few finished. I guess they only expect to sell one single unit to each customer knowing they will probably never finish it. Unfortunately that is at the expense of the good manufacturers hoping to make money by getting people hooked on the hobby. Also at the expense of the clubs that will lose people to other interests when their first ship is harder than it should really be.

avsjerome2003 likes this

maybe not huge volumes HSM, but i bet these "companies" run a very cheap setup and wil probably profit after selling only a few kits.

and ofcourse they specualte heavily on the buyer never finishing it.

Apparently, there is a big demand for kit models in China …. an un-tapped and ignored  market for the good MFG’s

Kudos on banning the these Manufactures  from the site and asking members to not purchase from them

It should be an item at the top of the logon page

Thank you for enacting the ban.

I see double damage, the obvious one of stealing the market of legitimate manufacturers and the less obvious of turning promising builders away from the hobby through frustration.

Just as a note: I recently did extensive research on the web and on bulletin boards like this to decide what manufacture and what kit to buy for my first POB model.  I never encountered any of these companies in that time.  Perhaps you are winning...?

In the beginning they were copying german  cars - and now ship model kits

China is know for their reverse technology, Makes me wonder and it's hard to imagine just what a model ship would actually look like,

you know  probably every manufacturer in the world uses reverse technology when a competitor has got something new on the market

the difference is that they dont make an exact copy (on the outside that is) of the original and sell it as the real thing or use plans and instructions  of the original in . they use the knowledge to make their own version of it.

WackoWolf likes this

I support you 100%.

I own a hardware store in Jhb, you cannot believe the quality of tools they try sell to us.

They copy anything and everything.

Have you ever seen a garden tap with holes in it or a drill that burns out after being used only once?

Janos

its not about punishing people but about preventing people from buying these copied kits.

if every model ship forum would do the same and make the members aware of why then less of these kits are sold and the less unfair profit they make

Burroak, edmay, trippwj and 1 other like this

Hi, Janos.  Yes, it is unfortunate that some people purchase these kits unawares, and yes, some are no doubt saddened that their builds of these kits are not welcome here.  This same pirating issue exists for card models and is far more pervasive since, in the case of card models, all a pirate needs is a scanner and color copier.  No one seems willing to go after these people, so the only way for us as a community to do our part is to present a united front.  In many instances, the designers of the original models (wood, card, or whatever) are our friends, and it is for that reason (at least for me) that I will do whatever I can to let the pirates know that I will not purchase their wares, I will not turn a blind eye to their activities, and I will not aid them the least little bit in ripping off my friends -- which means I will not give them any face time on MSW, either directly or indirectly.  I don't consider this punishment for the unsuspecting -- I consider this standing up for my friends and for personal integrity.

Cheers!

Dan Vad, Adrieke, bhermann and 11 others like this

I am very new to this hobby, but I will support this ban as well. Glad I read it!

Words of warning to anyone thinking about purchasing one of these kits....DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally purchased the 1:50 scale of the San Felipe' from ZHL, what a piece of crap!!!!!! The plans were definately ripped off of Mantua/Panart and they didn't even attempt to make them seem original. (Still in Italian) The materials (woods) were CRAP and they couldn't even supply all the fittings needed. Cannons not being bored out, etc. Luckily I have been building ships for many years and have a huge supply of extras and wood so any shortcomings in the kit were made up of my personal stock. The only reason the ship turned out well is because of my extensive experience to overcome their sh--ty instructions which didn't make sense AT ALL.

The prices may tempt you but you will regret ever seeing ZHL's product.

All this and ripping off legitimate folks too.....DON'T DO IT.

avsjerome2003 and feritkutlu like this

Remember, these rip-off companies do not have to pay for the cost of designing and developing these kits. All the 'front-end' costs were absorbed by the original manufacturers. That's why they can turn a profit rapidly soon after marketing their inferior product. And remember, a quality kit cannot be designed, prototype made, tested, instructional manual and plans drawn up and written overnight. Ask Chuck Passaro or Chris Watton: they know!

Just a thought,  should we perhaps gather documentation and work with the companies who have been ripped off to get more done to slow down and possibly shut down the rip-off companies.

for example I know that US customs will stop the import of goods if they have documentation that something is a cheap knock off / violating copyright / patent / trademark etc...  and if the person who did not know gets a letter from customs that the item was not allowed in for such reason they can in most cases let the credit card company deal with getting the money back and then the cc companies will stop taking transactions for that company.

also the customs in the receiving country can then inform the counterparts in the country of origin of the issue.

I am using the US as an example as I live in the US and I know a small amount of how it works.

I used to maintain software for a chain of US stores that imported goods and they had to do all kinds of paperwork to prove they were only buying from approved mfg companies and so on.

yes it would mean we would need to gather information and get in touch with the government but I suspect it would be very good for new folks to the hobby and to the companies that are legit and lose business to the ripoff ones.

but what do you think ?  is the idea a waste of time?   is the problem to small to bother with ?  to much work for the reward?

something that the model making companies should be doing ?

avsjerome2003 likes this

I think on here we all love it if we could shut down those companies but its not up to us but the companies ripped off that should do this as they can get better proof. for MSW to make new builders a ware of these companies so that they don't buy the crappy/ ripped off  products is already a good thing

edmay likes this

Janos,

Maybe so, but any builds that they do will never show up here on MSW.  After reading a few reviews above your post, if I were looking for "cheap", I'd be looking at some other company's line.

Auvergne likes this

Thank you for the list, I have actualy wrote it down for future reference. Keep up the good work on steering us clear of these nasties. Again, thank you!

Some unscrupulous manufacturers are just that, manufacturers - but without the added expense of a research and development wing. They are right to be banned.

Copying other people's designs and passing them off as one's own is now a big problem in this new world of 'Globalisation'. They are cheaper because someone else has done all the hard work for them, and usually the quality and materials are inferior - but there's a large percentage who will not mind, it's cheaper so they'll buy it.

WackoWolf, mtaylor, edmay and 6 others like this