Chuck

MANDATORY MUST READ
**Banned Kit Manufacturers on MSW - Pirated KITS Prohibited **

195 posts in this topic

Indeed it is a knock off.  That is a poorly executed copy of a Corel kit that was ripped off.  So when in doubt please contact an admin.

Ryland Craze, Nirvana and mtaylor like this

Gemma,  I note that Max is selling a model of Druid on eBay. It is an exact copy (to my mind) of Harold Hahn's model as developed and published in his book Ships of the American Revolution and Their Models. Where did Max obtain the plans for this model? Did he buy plans from the NMM and loft his own version? If so, it is perfectly acceptable to build a model for yourself. However, it is against NMM policy to develop a model for commercial production and sale without their express permission. For the Swan class model plans we reached an agreement with the NMM and paid a licensing fee in order to offer our version for sale. Did Max do the same for Druid? Or, if he developed the model from Harold Hahn's plans, did he receive permission from the estate of Harold Hahn to do so? Did Dave Stevens give permission to develop a kit from Harold's plans? If so, does the family receive a royalty for each kit sold?

I believe it is unethical (at the very least) to produce a kit for commercial sale without receiving permission and compensating the designer of the plans. Just because you did it better or cheaper doesn't make it right. Maybe it's a generational thing but it's just wrong, in my opinion. 

Anyone aware of any pirated Swan class ship plans or models on the market? My children are fiercely protective of their potential inheritance!

Sorry Greg,   I have a Pegasus POF kit coming out next week based on the four volume set.....it will sell for 100 bucks.   I know several people on the SofS forum who have already pre-ordered.   I only took a few shortcuts in the development and it cost me very little to bring to market.   Thank you and than thank David Antscherl for doing all the heavy lifting. :piratetongueor4:  You guys are the best...it must have taken you guys years and years to develop.   I banged out a respectable kit design in just one month.   :piratetongueor4:

Jack12477, mtaylor, jbshan and 2 others like this

Well then, Chuck, please be prepared for a cease and desist letter from the law firm of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe!

ccoyle, Nirvana, Chuck and 3 others like this

22 minutes ago, dvm27 said:

Well then, Chuck, please be prepared for a cease and desist letter from the law firm of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe!

Will their Russian chauffeur Pickemupandropoff be hand delivering the letter.? 

Ah yes, the good ole boys, Click and Clack, on Car Talk - love that show.

mtaylor, Nirvana and James H like this

the use of an IMAGE in a forum like ours is covered in the "fair use" concept of copywrite law. In the same sense that we are free to discuss the film Gone With The Wind and even post photos from the film or even lines of text from the novel under the context of a DISCUSSION about the film, were safe from violating a copywrite. The estate of Margaret Mitchel nore the film studio that owns the rights to the film can't sue us for the "Fair Use" of elements from Gone With The Wind. But if you link to a website streaming the entire film or offer for free the entire text of the novel you are CLEARLY violating the copyright and open to litigation from the copywrite holders.

moving on to my opinion, I think it's well to identify the author of works under discussion. If I had written a book I would CERTAINLY want people to discuss it online but I would hope my name would be attributed to my work within the discussion. There is NO WAY That Fair Use could ever protect someone pirating a ship model kit but it does allow us to use images that are under copywrite protection so long as it's in the context of a discussion of the work. This shouldn't be construed to mean you can scan and upload an entire set of plans with impunity, that's piracy.

Nirvana, James H and mtaylor like this

2 hours ago, Mike Dowling said:

Thank you for that Chuck. Do you know the name of the Corel kit and/or where it can be obtained ?

Mike,

Both Ages of Sail and Model Expo (both MSW sponsors) carry Corel models.

Nirvana and mtaylor like this

1 hour ago, GemmaJF said:

I'm done arguing about anything and please do not feel sorry as there is no need to. It is the arguments here that seem strange and oblique compared to real world business practice and what has gone on for years in the hobby market. You are welcome to your opinion and views, and yes you make the rules here. It is the cheap comments regarding 'other sites' that make a bigger statement of what is going on here. So make your rules and ignore members input. No concern of mine and you have no reason to apologize for it.

I am well aware of business practice in this hobby, as a semi-professional modeller and published author, as well as helping in kit design engineering from concept to final release, plus the ongoing promotion. You seem to assume to know my credentials. It does you no favours. 

I am indeed welcome to my opinions, as are you, but remember that if you come to my house, you abide by my rules, as I would if I was to come to yours. My comments about 'other sites' are maybe uncalled for, but they are certainly no different than the disdain that MSW is held and critiqued in those other places. Horses for courses, as we Brits say.

If you don't like the way we operate, you are a free-marketeer....please find another outlet for your work.

Jack12477, Mumin, Chuck and 7 others like this

Closing this one. It's run its course.

Please make note that no build logs from these MFGs will be allowed on Model Ship World

And we have allowed some other kits which were original, but made by these same crooked companies to remain....BUT NOT ANY LONGER. I know of two others but after the great crash of 2013 they are now gone.  ..from this point forward.....NO KITS BY THESE MFGs WILL EVER BE ALLOWED ON THIS SITE. Here is the list of crooked ship model MFGs banned from MSW

ZHL 
Snail Model 
JD Model 
LHQK 
ShiCheng 

woodenkit (Russian MFG)
YengFan 
Unicorn Model 
YQ 

CN

MEDDO, mtaylor, Nirvana and 3 others like this