New model shipbuilder

Don S

This is all new to me. I'm a 75 yr old guy who has been a woodworker hobbyist for many years. However, for reasons I don't understand, I can't do what I used to, so this is my new hobby. Same hobby, but on a much smaller scale.

i am starting with the 18th century longboat. I need a source for the special ship terminology so I can understand what is being said. Also, I am reading the instructions and then looking at the parts. Right off, there are two laser cuts of the of the keel and stem, but nowhere does it say to glue them together. Am I missing something?

If its the Modek Expo vessel, there may be stuff at the site. Also never forget youtube. All you have to do is search 18th century longboat. Never can tell what may come up. Outside the manufacturer, youtube is my encyclopedia for ship building. Besides, I like to watch how others do stuff.

Welcome to MSW,

Try a search for "18th century longboat" in build logs for SHIP MODEL KITS.

This is already very interesting :

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi Don

Kurt and I have also answered your question re the extra parts on james longboat log where you posted the question previously

Hope that helps

Regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

They are just duplicate parts. Only use one set. This is a challenging first model but the build logs here are a big help. Don't be afraid to ask for help.the folks here are very willing to help.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED