Hello from Germany - I'm the daughter - my dad is the builder

Hello,

the topic sort of says it all.

My father has been building a modell from scratch for the past 36 years. The scale is 1:38. He is 78 years old now and is starting to suffer from dimentia. Before Chirstmas 2017, he was at a point where he had stopped building for about 1 1/2 years. The standing rigging was about 1/4th of the way. The problem way, he was stuck and could no longer make any sense out of what he was reading in his books.

That is when I stepped in. We have now completed the standing rigging together. He can still make ropes, make thimbles, blocks, you name it. But he gets confused when he tries to atach ropes on his own so I am sort of the one who decides what we do next and then we do it together.

He can help when I tell him what needs to be done, but that is the problem: I do not know, either. So I am reading, doing research, we even did a trip to the original ship in Portsmouth in January together.

His background is electronic engineering and he has been doing woodwork as a hobby as long as I can think. I am a teacher and quilter - which sort of helps with the rigging, as I am good with thread work.

One goal is to get it done. Someday. Maybe. The more important goal is to challenge his memory and his manual abilities.

I think we have every book on the planet about the ship. The one thing I cannot find is a precise description about the size of the sails. You know - being a quilter, I sort of like patterns ;-) . Any suggestions?

Barbara

Standing Rigging.jpg

20180118_170405.jpg

20180202_151049.jpg

20171207_104825.jpg

20180118_170653.jpg

Hello Barbara and dad,

welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay. That is a very interesting introduction you have given and I wish you and your dad all the best with this great hobby.

Telling by the pics of the Victory model you have a very skilled and talented and experienced father. It is a pleasure to see you in his footsteps, looking forward for more to come...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Remarkable build. Its a testament to your father's woodworking skills and attention to detail of an engineer. I was stationed at the Kaserne at Babenhausen in the early 1970's so I know something of Gerrmany. Your dad id a lucky man to have you to help him. If you can go to YOUTUBE and search scratchbuilt wood models. There you will find video in sometimes both English and German. Also search the name of his vessel.

Viele grusse, Barbara! That is a bitter-sweet story. I'm delighted that you are helping to complete the rigging on your father's model. To be honest, most of us need time to figure out the complex rigging from this era. The work that your father did on the hull etc., is beautifully done and the completed model will be a family heirloom, I'm sure. He is very fortunate in his choice of daughter!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hello Barbara, a very touching and inspirational introduction, your father is a very lucky man to have you as his daughter. 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Beautiful work... you might try this linl https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/7527-making-sails-for-hms-victory/

Good luck

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

This is a bitter sweet tale you tell Barbara. The model speaks for itself but your being there by his side shouts out your love for him. We all should be fortunate to have a daughter like you.

Thank you for sharing. Press on and keep in mind that the journey may be just as important as the task. God bless you both.

Joe

Edited by Thistle17

This is an absolutely incredible model in every detail - your father is quite skilled!  It's a nice story that you are helping to finish this and complete his vision.

I wish I could help with the sails...but just wanted to say thank you for sharing this immaculate model.  Good luck!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hello Barbara

I do not know how large the sails would be in 1/38th but I imagine they would be quite large. One somewhat expensive option could be to buy a sail set, https://www.modelerscentral.com/decorations/sail-sets-sail-plans-sail-cloth/mantua-sail-sets/sail-set-hms-victory-178-scale/ and scale them up to your size. Probably a less expensive option would be to buy a plastic model and use the sails from the kit as a pattern and again scale them up to match your scale. wish I could help more as your father and you have made a fantastic model truly to be proud of.

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

17 hours ago, markjay said:

Beautiful work... you might try this linl https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/7527-making-sails-for-hms-victory/

Good luck

Thanks for your help. That was the initial post which led me onto this group. 😊 It is a good starting point but it does confirm what I mentioned: there are no sail plans in those books. Of course, I can go ahead and measure when we have the booms up. But.... arghh...