HM Bark Endeavour by rvchima - FINISHED - Caldercraft - scale 1:64 - yet another

Hi Rod, WRT the AOTS, the info is in the book, you just have to hunt around a bit.  The main plans you need are the the Belaying Positions for Running Rigging (page 120) and Running Rigging drawing on page 102.  By looking at individual lines etc on the detail drawings (pages in between) and these two you can determine where each of the running rigging lines lead and belay.  

For example if we take line 19 in detail drawing I1/2 (page 103), the legend informs us it is the Spritsail yard brace (the title of the legend tells us it is for the lower yard).  Then if you go to the belaying plan on page 120, and find that line in the tabular listing to get the position number  (item 11 in this case) then find that position on the plan and you see that it belays to a belaying pin in the foremast fiferail/crosspiece (third in from the port outer side).  

Not the best schema but it works, just need to find the appropriate drawings.  The main purpose I use page 102 is to help identify the main running lines leads and positions.  I photocopied copied the two main drawings and enlarged them considerably to make life easier.

The same generally applies for standing rigging (pages 95-100) but here there is no horizant (plan) view but is fairly evident where the lines secured.

I hope this helps; just holler if you need further clarification :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat,

I've been through the AOTS book many times now and completely overlooked the deck plan on pages 120-121, maybe because it's sandwiched between many pages of sail rigging. That plan will help a lot, but I'm afraid to look to see what I've done wrong already. At least the spiritsail yard brace pin 11 isn't used yet.

Rod

Don't worry, I am sure I would earn the bosun's wrath if he were to look at my belaying (wrong pins, leads etc) :)  There is a booklet that is provided to volunteers on the Endeavour (when sailing) that provides the rigging plan/belaying they use so that they can learn 'the ropes' - that is also very handy if you can get your hands on it.  Unfortunately  I have passed my copy to another builder.  that said though, there are some differences with the replica as may have been the actual belay plan, as is Marquardt's interpretation - but it can't be too far wrong :)

cheers

Pat

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:07 AM, rvchima said:

Pat,

I've been through the AOTS book many times now and completely overlooked the deck plan on pages 120-121, maybe because it's sandwiched between many pages of sail rigging. That plan will help a lot, but I'm afraid to look to see what I've done wrong already. At least the spiritsail yard brace pin 11 isn't used yet.

Rod

Rod,

I PM you a pdf. booklet on the rigging.

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

• 4 weeks later...

HM Bark Endeavour - Finished!

1 year, 4 months, 10 days, 664 hours

I put in a lot of hours since my last major post, and completed the model on Dec. 30. Here are some photos.

845140161_Final01.thumb.jpg.344a019c26f522e55d37dab7ebeab7d3.jpg1473533596_Final02.thumb.jpg.b94818bcaa4c8bce137fef53c62f18f1.jpg1279908733_Final03.thumb.jpg.bd87cdcb2fe202fc20577140ed14533a.jpg2123985404_Final04.thumb.jpg.f2bc3dbf9754c1028325e68194a235e8.jpg1043390527_Final05.thumb.jpg.cb05b3daddf85761e09d651233f554fa.jpg

Anchors

Since July I've had the main anchors lashed to the channels. When I attached the second set of anchors I decided that the model would look better with the main anchors hanging. That's how they're displayed on my Syren. After a bit of deconstruction I hung them from the cathead. I like them much better this way.

207966710_Final15.thumb.jpg.87f69b92c0e00e55f63f84b974337620.jpg

Anchor buoy lashed to the first shroud

516614223_Final10.thumb.jpg.efbd724b3cd2995f28d836b96e70dbd8.jpgFore and main masts

1892835052_Final11.thumb.jpg.927ae215fc88ed85641b0885afa05222.jpg

Main and mizzen masts

Rigging Problems
The kit has two plans for running rigging. Plan 7 is mostly lifts and the plan 8 is mostly braces. I started with plan 7 and rigged all the lifts, working fore-to-aft. All of those lines belayed to many of the pins, eyes, and cleats shown on the deck plan. I tried to follow AOTS for attachment points.

Then I opened plan 8 and started rigging the braces fore-to-aft. It turns out that plan 8 shows many lines belayed to the same points as plan 7, so I started using unused points nearby. By the time I got to the mizzen mast I had totally run out of deck eyes and mast cleats to belay to. There were line cleats attached to each of the mizzen shrouds, but they were totally unused on the plans. I ended up rigging some of the mizzen braces to those shrouds. They're probably incorrect but it was all I could do at that point. Please don't tell the admiral.

1952518620_Final08.thumb.jpg.4492f8587436c40127ef1444a4ba029c.jpg

1184126217_Final09.thumb.jpg.34eee8a066c7601ca745ee06ad20c4bf.jpg

411553819_Final12.thumb.jpg.0c9c92ac773b520e02e892c5f7bccffd.jpg

465286513_Final13.thumb.jpg.53632e397127b2bf2b68f5761928a8ac.jpg

Bow with jack

489550317_Final14.thumb.jpg.09eb2bff5ed0e04a4c18f5633dc2fbc5.jpg

Stern with Ensign

Flag Problems

I bought the jack, ensign, and commissioning pennant from Cornwall Model Boats. They are made by BECC in the UK and are perfectly sized and beautifully made, but he fabric material is very soft and hangs limply. I experimented with several products to make them hold a wavy shape  - spray starch, white glue, and polyurethane spray. Nothing worked very well so I ended up washing everything out of the ensign and starting over. Luckily the paint is waterproof. I ended up putting a couple of coats of clear shellac on each flag, crumpling them up, and putting them aside to dry. Then I held them in front of my electric workshop heater and worked them into shape. Even the easy things are hard.

Case

I designed and built a case for an old Model Shipways Flying Fish a few years ago, and later scaled the design for my Syren. The Endeavour has nearly the same height and width as the Syren but is 2 inches shorter, so this rescale was easy. I have ordered five pieces of plexiglass cut to size for an Endeavour case and will start cutting wood today.

It looks like my wife and I will be moving to Asheville, North Carolina soon, so I need to get this ship in a case before the move. Pictures to follow.

Final 06.jpg

Happy New Year Mates!

The fireworks in Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin, and every other major city in Australia just look spectacular. I wish I could be there to see them in person. I worked for a small fireworks company while I was in grad school and still love a good show.

Here in tiny Chagrin Falls, Ohio we celebrate by lowering a giant popcorn ball from the flagpole in the town square at midnight. I am not making this up. The popcorn shop has been in business in an old gristmill by the falls since 1948. It's not fireworks but it's still fun.

1346944005_NewYears2019RodCinda-2.thumb.jpg.fe40230578335cec0b18e83104a37811.jpg

Hello Rod and a hearty congratulations on completing your build....it looks beautiful! I'm even more nervous to start my Endeavour build (whenever that will be....hopefully some time this year).

The fireworks  were spectacular (and loud). I'm just an 8 minute stroll to the Sydney Harbour Bridge so have been viewing the fireworks since I moved to North Sydney a few years back....they never disappoint. By the way, we get two fireworks displays on the harbour each New Year....one at 9:00pm as well as the midnight one. The earlier show is classified as the "family show" so the younger kids don't have to stay up till midnight if they can't keep their eyes open till then. The fireworks at that time are just a spectacular and loud. Two shows in one night....great for us pyrotechnic nuts  :pirate41:

Have a great 2019 and a successful move to North Carolina.

Cheers...............Fernando :cheers:

PS...I do like the lowering of the popcorn ball...had a chuckle but also liked the fact that it was simple and enjoyed by the community. Long may it last!

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

Fantastic job Rod; she came up a real 'treat' for the eyes and is a compliment to your efforts in building her.

I really like that lantern, had not noticed it before.

Happy New Year mate, cheers

Pat

Thank you all for the kind compliments on my model. I know that it is not completely historically accurate, but I am happy with it. I sincerely appreciate all the help and encouragement from my (few) followers. I really could not have done it without all your help.

I'll keep watching for Dave Row to finish his beautiful model, and for Fernando to start his! May you both have fair winds and following seas.

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Case Construction

Back in 2012 I designed and built a case for a Model Shipways Flying Fish that I built in 1969. I reused the design for my Syren a couple of years later and now again for the Endeavour.

623305572_Case01plans.thumb.jpg.0b319fb3d1d57af75a5a9e82280e03cc.jpg

Here are the original drawings and calculations for the Syren case. The Endeavour case is exactly the same size but 2 inches shorter. They should look good together.

1530335266_Case02profiles.thumb.jpg.e4ca701fef264560f432aeaec9b593ce.jpg

The moldings were cut from 3/4 inch white oak. I cut 1/8" slots for plexiglass with my table saw, the larger rabbet in the base with a dado blade, and the profiled edges on my router table. I made most of the cuts while the wood was much wider to keep my fingers from the blades, then cut the pieces to the correct width at the end.

1084108987_Case03moldings.thumb.jpg.f33709d82421102383e79e738ef82f66.jpg

Here are the finished molding pieces before sanding.

941451416_Case04plastic.thumb.jpg.df24eba38cae702404ecc5411ed51e89.jpg

I ordered 0.118 inch plexiglass cut to size from Tap Plastics in California. For the last two cases I bought large sheets from Home Depot and cut them myself with the scribe and break method. Tap Plastics was about the same cost and a whole lot easier.

1467222280_Case05assembly.thumb.jpg.bee9f968991b02f32f7c3e56b59aaa28.jpg

Today I mitered the top and bottom moldings with a chop saw.  I taped everything together to make sure it all fit, then glued up the top frame and later the bottom frame (shown.) I may shoot some brads into the corners for a little extra strength. I will glue a veneered plywood panel into the bottom frame, and screw the Endeavour to it at the end. I will attach the top plexiglass with glazier's points. The side pieces will be held with 8 screws from the top and bottom. Everything can be disassembled by removing those screws. Final photos coming soon.

That should be a very nice 'home' for her Rod.  Something I amy do with my nxt case is add some 'strip' leds around the inner bottom edge for better lighting.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Case Completed

I built a case for my Endeavour from scratch in about 3 weeks. It came out very nice and looks good next to my Syren model. They are temporarily displayed in a basement rec room. I don't know where they'll end up when we move.

I forgot how hard it is to photograph anything in a plastic case. I tried all kinds of lighting and Photoshop tricks to get rid of reflections. The photo of the Endeavour alone is OK, but the photo of the two ships together is pretty bad. Oh well, I tried.

Rod487904866_EndeavourinCase01.thumb.jpg.46776f93283bc1c604e3af9bb3cfc9dc.jpg

1543558283_EndeavourSyreninCase01.thumb.jpg.0c4de6fd6ebb550388fd1f3fecc82b76.jpg

Edited by rvchima
removed blank image

Hi Rod

The case sets off the Endeavour beautifully. Congratulations again on a great build! 

Cheers.............Fernando :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Fantastic looking model and like eveything about. Hope I am not too late adding to your Blog . However O am planning this model for my next kit and second build of a period ship. I have been looking at the AOTS Endeavour for possible reference but is really a lot of bucks so might make do with Historic Ship Mosdels by Monfield and Lees book Masting and Rigging of War ships. Hopefully I have enough information to get through this. I will be taking a closer look at this blog , once I start the model. 

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour