Fair American by Thedeacon - Model Shipways - 1/48 scale

I just got started on my Fair American. It is my first build. I chose this model as I felt it would be a good learning experience and I have a great support group to turn to here on this forum. I am also a member of the Ship Model Society of NJ.  I began by inventory of all pieces. I then got up the courage to cut the rabbet. I then remopoved the bulkheads and checked for proper fit. My question is, If the bulkheads dot not land precisely on  the bearding line, how should I go about to adjust? Should I bring the Rabbet up higher? Should I drop the bulkheads down to meet the bearding line? Should I add woodfiller to the bulkheads  to meet the bearding line? My idea is to bring the bulkheads down by adjusting the joint but I then have a bulkbhead that is not quite fluch with the centerkeel pieace. I could add material to bring it flush but that changes the height of the bulkhead rails.

Your help is greatly appreciated.   

IMG_4812.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

IMG_4814.JPG

IMG_4815.JPG

IMG_4816.JPG

Hello Thedeacon

I am pretty certain that others more knowledgeable than I am will be filling you in soon, but I would hesitate in increasing the depth of the joint and lowering all the bulkheads. If you do that then your sub deck alignment will be off by that much at the top of the bulkheads.

The distance involved at each bulkhead appears so uniform that it seems like it is supposed to be that way, as if it is compensating for the first layer of planking.

Looking forward to what others have to say.

Lou     

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

12 minutes ago, Thedeacon said:

How do I message Ken W?

At the top of the page, the message icon is next to the globe. Click on this and it will open the Inbox window.  Then click on the Compose New button.  In the To area, type KenW and complete this section with your message  to him.  Then hit Send and Ken will receive an email that he has a message.  Definitely bring the model to the meeting next week as you will get plenty of help on solving the issue with the bulkheads.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 3 weeks later...

Did some work on the Fair American. I needed to modify the bulkheads as they were too short to reach down and touch the bearding line. The folks at my Ship model club, ( Ship Model Society Of NJ) had some great suggestions . Thanks you Mike, Chuck, Ozzie and all the rest of the members. I decided to add a wood shim to the bottoms and carve to shape. I will need to further smooth sand shape once these bulk heads are glued in place. I am in the process of glueing them to the keel now.

Thanks for all the help on this great forum!

Deke

IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4891.jpg