Billing Boats Marie Jeanne vs. Artesania Latina Marie Jeanne

Redshirt

kind of a tough question........do you have a kit preference?   I'm a confirmed Billing's fan......I think the kit itself would be very nice,  as I've found all their kits....but the instruction are a bit vague.   having built so many of their kits,  I've gotten used to deciphering them.   the wood is usually pretty good,  and likely comes with a roll of cloth to make the sails.   not having bought the kit,  I really can't give a good description of the contents.

I have the A.L. kit of the Marie Jeanne.....one big plus I saw right away,  is that the sails are pre-assembled.    the instructions are colorful....they have a booklet,  a written text set of instructions,  and a large diagram sheet {or sheets}.  I haven't taken them out of their sleeve yet {usually,  I already have looked at them.}  here is a small look see  ;) 

5ad5eb28b98f7_1.jpg.80a795508ce48b05db7cdad0d11c254a.jpg

the finished model measures {in inches}:  22" long,  19 1/2" tall,  and 6 1/4" wide.

5ad5ec3670a9b_2.jpg.7d22fdcd4bc068590aeee1e0db1b9d68.jpg

the instruction bundle.

5ad5ec7dcdd85_3.jpg.4531f47eeb666c3f3d1870f43d7c5551.jpg

how it is packed......plastic sealed with a cardboard backing,  in an effort to prevent warpage.

5ad5ecf3be6eb_4.jpg.2c44b8df272c35395a0d2d96f897b9d0.jpg

the fittings.....not keen on the metal boat,  but I'll cross that road when I get to it.

5ad5ed3c1d36b_5.jpg.df0779b3a0f6e510c1f6e0784a6126ce.jpg

the sails are pre-made......not sure if they are prepped in other ways......color and such,  but they are set up with bolt ropes,  pleated and sewn along the edges.

5ad5edefc58d9_6.jpg.61745719892319280e7cd7cd17053aea.jpg5ad5ee016cf95_7.jpg.92d360602afdf12f0fbe694c061beefb.jpg

the wood parts.....I haven't read the particulars,  but it looks like basswood and plywood framing.  the wood strips may be Sapeli,  Lime,  walnut,  and perhaps Beech.  I wish I had the Billing's kit as well.......seems bias to only show one kit.   Billing would likely offer the same in regards to the framing,  but for the wood strip,  they may offer Obechi,  Basswood,   Annegre,  and mahogany.   this doesn't knock down the quality.......pre-staining is a good option here,  and if you like to paint,  exotic woods might not be a good choice {I know I wouldn't paint over these woods}.

as with most kits,  the use of plastic and metal parts is common in these kits.   folks will sometimes replace these parts with similar parts that fit the model better.   the ship's boat is a good example......there are plenty of places where a wooden replacement can be purchased.  having taken a quick look at the fittings... there are a few thing I will be replacing.  if this was the Billing's kit,  I would likely see some things in it to replace as well.   I'm willing to say that these are both nice kits...I'm sure that each will present their own challenges.  whichever you decide to pull the trigger on,  I hope you'll do a build log.......I would find it interesting to see....especially if you chose the Billing's kit.   one kit may include detail that the other kit does not.......it makes a model more interesting when combining different aspects ;) 

hope this helps you out......it's a tough decision :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I have not seen the Billings kit so I can't comment on it, but I have built the AL Marie Jeanne kit (see signature for link to build log) and had no issues with the kit. Wood was first class, Denis points out the sail are pre-made with a nice bolt-rope sewn on, metal parts were good - no flash to remove. Instructions were about as good as all other kits by any manufacturer.  I had fun building the AL kit and the model came out pretty good.

good.......so I have a log to follow  ;)    he's not answering Jack....guess he ran out to get the kit  :D 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

44 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

so I have a log to follow  ;) 

If you mean the Marie Jeanne Denis, you did follow me. Remember we changed the home port from France to Ireland and made new decals (with your advice) to put the Coat of Arms on the sail.....  :);)

I have a new log you can follow - an ice boat/yacht from 1888.

when I build mine ;) ....that's what I meant.   I saw your new project......a very original project indeed.  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I don't have any experience with the Billings Marie Jeanne but I do have the AL one.  My impression is that the kit is pretty decent.  The laser cutting is very clean and sharp.  Fittings look good and the strip wood is African Walnut, Ramin and sapele.  Keel and frames are ply.  Instructions could be better but arn't the worst I have seen.  The illustrations are very helpful.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

I built the Billing version years ago, pre-laser. It turned into a very nice model and I can recommend it. You're right in that it has very nice lines, which is why I decided to build it. I opted to change the name of the model and named it after my wife whose first and middle name is Cheryl, Anne. She has been much more tolerant of my subsequent modeling purchases ever since...

Cheers, 5adff353e38c2_CherylAnne2(2).JPG.fbeeb1a1eab407fd232a320d18915088.JPG

Peter

Edited by petervisser

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Smart man you are on naming her, Peter.   Great looking model.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

nice looking model Peter :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: