Aye up!

Peter Y.

Hello there,

I'll say right off the bat that I'm a real beginner. Never built a model in my life and only became interested in this hobby quite recently. That said though I was always intrigued by ships and could spend hours just watching them as a lad. The older I got the more that interest gravitated towards XVIII and early XIX century vessels and that's where it firmly stands right now. I consider myself a layman in the area of maritime history which is probably one of the reasons why I've decided to start my first build - it seemed like a great excuse to learn more about the subject and have some model building fun at the same time.

I'm really looking forward to being a part of this great community and am hoping for some valuable advice during my first project which will be a small Caldercraft kit. I know that's not very ambitious, but I was concerned about biting off more than I could chew.

/Peter

P.S. Note that I'm not a native speaker and although I'm always trying to do my best, do excuse my (sometimes) sloppy use of English.

You have made a quality choice. Caldercraft is a quality brand. Remember with wood to measure twice and cut once. Search the web for sites and video which may provide insight both to your specific vessel and those who have/are building the same kit. Look at pictures and video. Buy Band Aids for the inevitable cut. By the way, your English reads well.

Welcome Peter!  My 1st build was in 2011, so no worries at being new to modeling ;)The above statement by Davidrasch is very true. There's a lot of information out there and there are a lot of knowledgeable and kind people in here that will give you a hand. Enjoy and look forward to seeing your model. Your English es muy bueno! 

Robert O

Thank you for the kind words and useful advice. Apart from some fairly straightforward DIY projects I've never really worked with wood, so I guess that mistakes are unavoidable. Will do my best not to cut off any body parts!

I did quite a lot of research already and do agree that there's a vast amount of information available on the web. I was able to get an idea of which kit manufacturers are known for their quality and get the majority of required tools, but after starting the model I quickly realised that simply taking a picture and asking more experienced people for help would probably be a good idea - at least from time to time ;-)

Will try and start the build log as soon as possible.

:sign:

Ps,

Your English is better than mine ;)

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thank you for the warm welcome.

@Blue Ensign Pickle is actually the kit that I'm working on - good to hear it was the right choice from someone that actually finished the build. Just looking at your log solved some of the problems I had.

The answer to your linguistic question is: "Both!" :-)

Speaking of warmth and pickles: Imagine my surprise when I went for a stroll in this beautiful weather yesterday and spotted the Pickle replica docked in the marina! Quite a coincidence!