Syren rigging hooks

I just received my order of Chucks' rigging rope which included the 4 mm hooks.  While I am very pleased with the rope, there seems to be a discrepancy with the hooks. The hooks look different than the 3 mm hooks that came my previous order of blocks.  Obviously they were a different size, ;) but they also were not the same pattern. 100_4391.thumb.JPG.acc40333ead8c61d81a92db4016e2bdd.JPG  

100_4390.thumb.JPG.f9d2aa59ba49d07366849b9049f29c1d.JPG

(The rope hole for the 4 mm was actually smaller than the hole on the 3 mm hooks. :huh: A .5 mm drill bit would pass thru the smaller hook but could not pass thru the larger one.)  If you look at the pictures above closely you can see that the hole in the small hook takes up almost the entire end of the hook while on the larger hook it takes up much less.  Then I looked at the number stamped on the brass and found that while the 3 mm hook was labeled 90006.3mmA (as shown on the web site), the 4 mm hook was labeled 90006.4mm without the A.  So apparently the A series must be different from the one without it.  Hopefully the A series in the 4 mm hook size is still available for exchange.  The larger hole size is the reason I need the larger one as I have to get a heavier line thru it.  I would hesitate to try and drill the hole larger as that really doesn't sound feasible at all.  :(

Edited by BETAQDAVE
transposed numbers

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2018 at 3:13 PM, Jim Rogers said:

I use Chuck’s hooks and the ones from Age of Sails. I wind up drilling both.

How were you able to drill the holes without twisting or tearing up the hook or having it rotate out of the sheet?  Did you back up the sheet with anything in particular?

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

1 hour ago, BETAQDAVE said:

How were you able to drill the holes without twisting or tearing up the hook or having it rotate out of the sheet?  Did you back up the sheet with anything in particular?

I place the sheet on some ply, press the hook end down with whatever is handy and drill. So far no twisting or tearing.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Jim, This is a really old post but I thought I would jump in anyway.

I agree with Duff, a reamer would be best. you can get a set from Micro Mark. I use mine all the time for enlarging holes in wood and brass that a drill would otherwise cause problems. They have two styles Cutting and Smoothing. THe cutting are great for enlarging holes. I use the smoothing like a Marlin Spike to undo knots, or even enlarge a stropped eye before I apply adhesive to lock it in.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise