Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Thanks Mark and Andy!

Andy, I used the original kit strips for the deckplanking. I used washes in different nuanses on all planks to make it look vibrant.

I just noticed many pictures are gone from the start of the buildlog and that you can't see how I did it. I was afraid to mess with the nice proportions of the BB kit so I did it singleplanked like BB intended. I then stained, painted and weathered it. A tricky paintjob with many stages before I got it like I wanted. This image is from when I started the paintjob on the hull:

post-3739-0-04401500-1404814517_thumb.jpg

I've seen people doubleplanking it, and you can get the hullplank curves better that way. I dont know how it would affect the proportions and the stern though.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

looking sweet Matti!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Matti!

Everything looks great on your Vasa! I am too lazy to start a blog with all the photographywork, but my Vasa is progressing. Soon finished planking the deck and will start with the hull.

I have ordered stains in mahogany, walnut and oak and hope I will get some colours right. But the bottles were ridiculously small, so I will probably have to visit a painting shop. What brand of stain did you use? Herdins bets??

Had a look at the sculptures, and realized painting them will be a challenge. Did you use brushes even for the smallest details? Or have you invented some other tools?? 

Thanks! It would have been nice to see your progress, especially if you will end up making a combination of BB and Corel parts.

Yeah, I used Herdins bets, the same as the modelshop on Sjöhistoriska museet uses.

Indeed the figures are a challenge when making a Vasa, at least if painted polychrome. I use small brushes and washes. I also make highlightning effect by painting different shades.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Your blend of subtle mixed shades of wash for your hull, as well as your use of red, along with your hand carved sculptures really make your build special. A pleasure to look at....Your latest photos really captured this (:-)

Good luck with the rigging, I know that you are (maybe most of us) not that comfortable entering this stage, as you have mentioned. But it will work out I'm sure.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hej Matti

I wonder how much I actually will use from the Corel kit. The plastic sculptures in the BB kit are considerably better made with very good details. The brass sculptures in Corel are very crude with bad details. And painting the plastic seems to be easier as acrylic paint could be used, painting brass seems to be much  more complicated.

If I had more mahogany or walnut strips, I could do a second layer on the hull, but unfortunately not enough left.

We will see whenever I reach the rigging phase, maybe Corel could be of use. At least the colour of the rigging is more accurate rope-like in Corel. In the BB it is very pale and almost white and will have to be stained. Perhaps with a cup of tea?  

I agree about painting brass... The bb sculptures are overall nice and correspond with the real ones better than I thought. Some are based on landstroms design though. A huge advantage is that you can thin them down and reshape them easily. A biggie to get a close fit and get them in scale. Don't use a candle as suggested in the instructions. I used a soldering iron and got great control.

The polish nobleman crouching under the catheads is no good in the kit so prepare to scratch them.

I stain my ropes with brown acrylic washes. I bought replacement ropes.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hey all! I got some work done. I wanted to have one of the gratings covered as a nod to the real one at the museum. I also made the mainsail sheet blocks and after that I could start with the mizzen lanyards. It was very different from what I've done previous in modelbuilding, and I needed to start all over once to get them sitting ok at the top. I know it's far from what you guys manage, but I will knowledge my limits and settle with it. Hopefully I can pick up speed later on cause now it's snail speed. ;)

Some pictures:

post-3739-0-36606500-1405358557_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-23126400-1405358545_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-72588600-1405358532_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-25441200-1405358539_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-31633300-1405358552_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Nice progress Matti. Last picture gives a great sense of proportion, so we can imagine how big she was.

Matti do you ever get tired of reading all this praise for your build? I hope not, because i'm only going to add to the chorus of praise for the work you have done. She looks superb. In fact I think your ship looks nicer than the one in the museum, it just seems more human.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

A year ago you started this log with

decided to go with the BB kit. It will be out of box, but some changes like open gun ports and some details changed.[\quote]

Looking at you r model as it stands now, we have to conclude: yours is not an ordinary OOB, with some details changed.

You really succeeded in capturing the ship's heart en soul. One of the best Vasa's I've ever seen. (apart from the real one, that is :) )

Jan

Edited by amateur

Thank you so much for the kind comments and likes!

Jan, except the added carvings, a few cannons and the rigging ropes, it's just tweaked original parts, even the open gunports are reconstructed using the kit parts . i don't use metal parts like hinges though as I think they don't give the sense of scale, so I make my own from paper soaked in CA glue. The kit is very decent as a base.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

your build is looking great Matti! first steps and shrouds are very nicely done........I really like a few of those pictures! they show the extra work you've put into her.....I quite agree, this is the best representation of a kit, that I've ever seen ;) brass really isn't a big problem......I would think there is a product out there, that would remove the finish, but retain the overall character of the part. prepping the surface, in order to get the paint to stick seems to be the stumbling block here. I do recall that there is a product, used in the process of photo etch, that may be a solution to this problem. most of your ornamentation is carved......one sure-fire way to negate this problem ;) really adds to your build as well.....very nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I'm now working on the channels and dead eyes for the mainmast. Here's a compilation of Vasa deadeyes. Their shape are very individual from piece to piece, some are almost circular other very irregular.

post-3739-0-31046300-1405509073_thumb.jpg

I like this and want to try and imitate that on my model. I use the round deadeyes that comes with the kit and sand everýone.

post-3739-0-90624500-1405509240.jpg

After the shape is ok it's time for some finegrit sanding to remove any edges and giving the surfase a handmade look:

post-3739-0-41446300-1405509242.jpg

I do this óne mast at the time to avoid getting to much repetative work. After this stage its time for making the metalparts that sits around the lower deadeyes.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

very nice thought........I guess this could be classified as micro detailing :) with all the fine bits you've put into her......it would be a shame to stop now ;) fantastic work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice! Perhaps you could do them all at once by inserting wires through the hole and binding the deadeyes together? The irregular drilling of the holes will see to it that each deadeye is slightly different, since that's the look you are going for?

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I love your attention to even the slightest of detail. Great work!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle