Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Got time to mount the first gallery pieces. Their shape is quite good out of the box and after some trimming and shaping Im happy with the result. The pre paintjob will make it easyer when more pieces is in place. I decided to go slightly brighter in the red color, so I repainted the lower area of the stern.

I also started to shape the wales and look forward to putting them on.

Matti

post-3739-0-71507100-1371308593_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Thanks for the support. The construction will become a little weaker, but its no biggie really.

The one who did it is a builder himself, (started really early). He knows how it feels, so he felt really sorry without me having the time to say anything. Im the one to blame and its not his fault at all. IIm happy we have the same interest and when involving him its my responsibility what happens.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

things happens. I assume everyone has this once or more during a build. could be by others or by him/here self.

Matti, I keep following your build and I am realizing that the differences between the Corel and Billingboats kit are defininately there.

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

The damaged parts are glued and in press, Hopefully I can make the parts a little stronger when I come to the bow construction. The finished result will be fragile no matter what so it will probably work out allright.

Jan, yeah. I follow your build also and you are right.

About risks: We just got this little cuty, and she allready has her eyes on my ship... ;)

/Matti

post-3739-0-92825000-1371385846_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Sorry Matti,

It's good to hear that Wasa is repairable...

The little pussycat looks as a scratch builder, ready to make finished parts became scratch... :-)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Matti

I have this model that has already been started rather badly by someone else. They gave up on it and it spent many years kicking around a coal shed. I now have it to start as my next build and guess what, my model has exactly the same break as yours, among others, so I am eager to see how you repaired your bow. This part will be under some stress I think so I am keen to make the strongest possible mend.

Glad to find out that your avatar was not yourself BTW. I was scared to post to this build when I saw it lol. All the best with your build

Tony

Hi Matti and Tony - Michael (md1400cs) had a similar break on his Corel Wasa and worked out a great repair for it:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/329-wasa-by-md1400cs-corel-175/page-3

You probably already saw this but I thought the link would be a good reference and reminder.

Matti, your stern just keeps getting better and better!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Thanks guys!

Making a brass core looks like a valid idea. In my case the break was not straight and the sandwich layers alloved me to make a pretty strong glue point where the parts meet. I will see how strong it feels tomorrow, but my hopes are up.

Luckily there will be four parts supporting this area later on. Here is picture of how the real ship is constructed, and BB is pretty close. I think I might be able to reinforce the weak spot even further. Ill post more about it when I get there.

Thanks for all kind words, gents!

/Matti

post-3739-0-85397600-1371402721_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-53261600-1371402724_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

I think everyone who has built this kit broke the stem at some point.  You seem to be on the right track and with the right frame of mind to fix it. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Matti! ! ! ! I am sorry for my English. I from Rossi my name am Mikhail. Also I build Vasa Billing Bots of firms of . Now I work with nasal part. In you very fine part fodder appeared! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Construction I spread here http://www.shipmodeling.ru/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12665  With the best regards Mikhail.

Edited by Schriper32

Lawrence, ooops, I didnt mean that I went away, Im just free from work. Holiday is the word? Sorry for the confusion. 

Mikhail, thanks for making your first post in my thread, and dont worry about your english. Thats one great Vasa you are building!!! Love the details and your sculpting looks awesome! Very, very nice and inspiring:

http://www.shipmodeling.ru/phpbb/download/file.php?id=49041&mode=view

I hope you plan to make a thread about it here also!

I made some progress on the wales. I need to reshape the gunports some more.

/Matti

post-3739-0-92095000-1371760585_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-27511400-1371760589_thumb.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Thanks buddy, your comments means alot!

Ive been reworking the lower gunports, basically making them slightly bigger, as the original has smaller gunports on the upper deck. The individual gunports also differ in size, and I tried to imitate that as good as I could. Finally the gun ports also differ from side to side of her, but Ill try to deal with that when starting on the starboard side.

One problem I might get doing it like this, is that the BB kit comes with one size gunport shutter only. I hope that it will not be to mush of a problem. Time will tell.

I have also glued the bow end planks in place in order to glue the top wales in place. Now I can start reworking the upper gunports.

/Matti

post-3739-0-41513500-1371934334_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa