Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Nazgul, I am currently trying to rationalize  the  "Table of Contents" to the actual wood that came with the boat. Did you find it fairly accurate because I am not.

1077L to 1086L in the material column, is this suppose to be length ?? Any help would be appreciated. right now it is a Dam !!   Billing's boat. Cheers,  JM 

Cheers Lawrence! Yeah time flies when having a good time building. Looking forward to see your scratch building.

I needed to check through the instructions a few times to find what goes where, but once I got the logic it was no problems. I can't say but the numbers you asked sounds like what plywood sheet the parts are laser cut on.

You may want to consider how to do the open gunports early when building this kit.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

that's what those markings are...........easy reference in case something is damaged.  what I find that Billing's needs to improve on,  is to include measurements in the instruction sheets.....I've done a couple that were poor in that dept.  another thing,  is that comparing the diagrams in the instruction sheets and the actual parts panels,  they might not be identical.........why this happens,  I have no idea.  I suppose someone in the laser cut dept had better ideas  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The BB Vasa instructions have measurements in the part list when it comes to planks and such.

In my kit (the latest version I think) there are an extra set of plans showing the new diagrams of the lasercut part. They changed the setup compaired to the earlier version. Maybe thats the reason for your differences, but its weird that they didn't add the new diagram.

The plans felt hard to get at first, I remember joking some about drunk danes doing them. But they have all info there, but not made as an easy read. The 1:1 sheet is often helpfull. It's also helpful to look at reference of the real ship and the 1:10 to see how it should look.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

yea......if you like to read stereo equipment manuals :D  :D   I look at them as kind of a  'read between the lines'  sort of instruction.

I built the Cux87 and the Mary Ann........both of these kits are advanced beginner kits.  the panel diagrams didn't match the Mary Ann's parts panels.......but if I looked in the Cux instructions,  the diagrams matched to a  'T'      I found that to be rather funny  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Matti, I can't believe I haven't looked in on your build since Page 92 and missed the completion party.

Still I've now remedied that and have enjoyed reading the closing stages of your wonderful build.

I've always loved the lower mast/standing rigging only configuration of display ever since I saw a wonderful drawing by Landström in his book The ship. If you have it, it is drawing 380 on page 169, of a French 56 gunner.

Many congratulations Matti, a job well done.

Regards,

B.E.

Also I have noted that you can jump from one thing to another if you try to follow the instruction booklet, but this is not helpful and it is best to finish off one area then look at something else. It is a challenge, and working on such a  fabulous  model and historical boat, you just do not want to make any mistakes and make it a original as you can. The kit was bought for me by my daughter four years ago when she visited the museum, so I want to get this right....... cheers guys JM

Ah, yeah, the instructions are not very linear. Some jumping back and forth is needed.

I've done some scratch building so I don't use plans very much, just to get what part is what.

Just relax , I'm sure you'll do great.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Belated Congratulations Matti, both the Vasa and the case compliment each other beautifully.

Be proud mate.

You don't appear to have started your next build, what's it gonna be mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Cheers mate, means a lot! Actually I am in the planning stage for the next build. I'd like to make a ship of the Swedish king Karl IX, Gustav II Adolfs father. Not much documentation about them so I will have some freedom when designing it. But it takes some time to think through it all.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hey JM! The images not working is likely because the site crashed earlier.

The blue Vasa with gilded details is an old guess that later turned out incorrect. Today they have made research on the paint pigments left and know she was red and had polychrome sculptures. From what Ive heard red was the traditional color for the swedish navy. The polychrome look was the northgerman style.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa